Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Tony DeAngelo signs extension (2 years, $4.8M AAV)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It is....he is physical down low in the zone and clears the front of the net. Just can’t do anything else. He can block shots too

I can tell you don’t watch him at all. He constantly loses his assignments in front, so whatever you think he’s clearing, he’s not. He’s losing them and then they end up scoring.

The one thing that he does at a slightly above average level is block shots.

That’s it.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The only relationship between Staal and “boards” is that he throws the puck up the boards as a zone exit strategy. Typically it’s stopped by the opposing team’s RD who then proceeds to initiate a cycling sequence which Staal cannot keep up with so he plants himself in front of the net waiting to screen our GK from the resulting high slot shot. Every time, it’s like death and taxes certainty

It’s so easy to spot the ones who think they know what they’re talking about but are just talking out of their asses.

“His board play is strong.”

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Get me back to me with more of these jokes during happy hour, when I can actually laugh my ass off.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tony DeAngelo is an excellent offensive defensive but Tony's defensive deficiencies should be on him and not passed along to Marc Staal. Staal is not as terrible as some people make out---he has certainly declined mainly because of head injuries particularly the deflected shot that cost him some eyesight. The main issue with Staal is that he's a bottom pairing worthy defenseman now and his play doesn't justify anywhere near his cap hit. If he were making $1.5 mil that would be about right.

Tony's defensive issues come down to his losing position or making bad reads at times and his lack of size/strength. He's no crease clearer nor is he great in one on one battles. His offense I think more than makes up for it overall but he can be a real adventure in his own end. That said his defending from season to season has gradually improved. Given space and time Tony is an excellent puck mover.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Tony DeAngelo is an excellent offensive defensive but Tony's defensive deficiencies should be on him and not passed along to Marc Staal. Staal is not as terrible as some people make out---he has certainly declined mainly because of head injuries particularly the deflected shot that cost him some eyesight. The main issue with Staal is that he's a bottom pairing worthy defenseman now and his play doesn't justify anywhere near his cap hit. If he were making $1.5 mil that would be about right.

Tony's defensive issues come down to his losing position or making bad reads at times and his lack of size/strength. He's no crease clearer nor is he great in one on one battles. His offense I think more than makes up for it overall but he can be a real adventure in his own end. That said his defending from season to season has gradually improved. Given space and time Tony is an excellent puck mover.

No, Staal is that bad and has been that bad for a long time. Since Stralman left, Staal has been exposed. It’s not just because of his contract, it’s because the concussion, the eye injury and the speed of the game have derailed his career.

It’s sad, but true.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is a pretty amazing deal for NYR, AAV is reasonable, term is essentially perfect.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I can tell you don’t watch him at all. He constantly loses his assignments in front, so whatever you think he’s clearing, he’s not. He’s losing them and then they end up scoring.

The one thing that he does at a slightly above average level is block shots.

That’s it.
I’d much rather have Staal on my PK then DeAngelo and I’m certain any NHL coach would agree.

Reactions: yada

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
How has he been personality wise, has he matured? There was never a question with his talent, but arizona and tampa both traded him for scraps because of his locker room cancer vibe. Just wondering cause I haven't heard much about him since a few years.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’d much rather have Staal on my PK then DeAngelo and I’m certain any NHL coach would agree.

I literally just said the only thing he’s above average at is blocking shots, so thank you for stating the obvious.

I think any NHL coach would also rather have 50+ points and meh defense from DeAngelo than less than 10 points and meh defense from Staal, contracts aside.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No, Staal is that bad and has been that bad for a long time. Since Stralman left, Staal has been exposed. It’s not just because of his contract, it’s because the concussion, the eye injury and the speed of the game have derailed his career.

It’s sad, but true.

Staal is a bottom pairing worthy defenseman. This narrative that DeAngelo was being dragged down by Marc is a bunch of b.s. IMO DeAngelo is one of the best offensive D's in the league but he's never going to be elite unless and until he improves his defending dramatically and I don't see that happening. What I do see is Tony being paired with another defenseman this year and some Rangers fans blaming whoever that is for dragging Tony down too because so many Rangers fans simply refuse to critique him properly. He's a good defenseman because of his offensive ability but he's not going to be a great one because of his defensive deficiencies. That's sad as well, but also true.

Reactions: Embryo

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I literally just said the only thing he’s above average at is blocking shots, so thank you for stating the obvious.

I think any NHL coach would also rather have 50+ points and meh defense from DeAngelo than less than 10 points and meh defense from Staal, contracts aside.
Meh is an understatement bad is better. Staal is awful all around.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How has he been personality wise, has he matured? There was never a question with his talent, but arizona and tampa both traded him for scraps because of his locker room cancer vibe. Just wondering cause I haven't heard much about him since a few years.
He hasn’t had an issue in New York and his teammates love him. Still a douche towards the other team but who doesn’t love that?

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is he really that bad defensively? What are his advanced stats like? The games I've seen he's looked solid in his own end and world class in the o-zone.

One of my favorite active rangers, really seems like a steal of a contract keeping him rfa after and all.
Here you can see some of his fancy stats (as well as the effect playing with Marc Staal has):

SKATR Lite
HCm4KvE.png

A3Z Performance

5v5 Player Replacements

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He hasn’t had an issue in New York and his teammates love him. Still a douche towards the other team but who doesn’t love that?
His troll look on Marchand after he scored the Beauty of a shootout goal for the win is worth this contract alone lol. Good player, good term, good Cap hit, goodie goodie (RD)

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
DeAngelo was injured in that series if I recall. Questionable before the series. Not only is it a 3 game series sample size in which the team wasn't prepared from top to bottom but he was nowhere near 100%.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Staal is a bottom pairing worthy defenseman. This narrative that DeAngelo was being dragged down by Marc is a bunch of b.s. IMO DeAngelo is one of the best offensive D's in the league but he's never going to be elite unless and until he improves his defending dramatically and I don't see that happening. What I do see is Tony being paired with another defenseman this year and some Rangers fans blaming whoever that is for dragging Tony down too because so many Rangers fans simply refuse to critique him properly. He's a good defenseman because of his offensive ability but he's not going to be a great one because of his defensive deficiencies. That's sad as well, but also true.

I’ve never said that Tony doesn’t need to improve defensively and I’ve even said in this thread that his defense is meh. He’s elite offensively, but will probably never be the same in his own end. If he can even be slightly above average, he’d be a top-end defender.

Staal grades out as a replacement level defender and the eye test confirms this. Just as you claim that people don’t want to properly criticize DeAngelo, I think you’re the same with Staal.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

He hasn’t been a problem in New York.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
DeAngelo was injured in that series if I recall. Questionable before the series. Not only is it a 3 game series sample size in which the team wasn't prepared from top to bottom but he was nowhere near 100%.

He was injured. No one really played “well” in that series except Kakko. He was the only one who was consistently good from shift to shift.

Reactions: Tob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad