Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Tony DeAngelo signs extension (2 years, $4.8M AAV)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are two types of people in this world that think outside the box. Geniuses who think outside the box and are right and crazy people who think outside of the box are wrong. You're not a genius.

Your conclusion is not supported by the indisputable fact that on this occasion, I was right.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
acting early on with staal was gorton's best move. cap space comes at inflationary rates nowadays. tampa could break apart.
I was going to add that part but didn’t want a War and Peace post. If we waited on Staal, looking at that market now for cap space, jeez. It would have been ugly. And yeah, Tampa has real problems after Johnson cleared which I couldn’t believe but then again there are some decent and discount FA names out there. My gut tells me that Granlund is waiting to see what happens with Strome (and other RFAs) and if we pass on Strome, we’ll sign Granlund on a show me deal 4 mil or less. What better way to build your value than playing with Panarin and presumably Kakko?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Just like you streamline defenses in fantasy football, it will probably be streamlined this year.
It’s gonna be 12-14 minutes of Johnson/Bitetto - Smith. Cue up the Benny Hill theme music. There’s 2 ways to react, enjoy the white knuckle roller coaster experience or use that time to take a dump, get a beer, answer texts/emails.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Your conclusion is not supported by the indisputable fact that on this occasion, I was right.
no, actually you were wrong, if you predicted 4.8 on a 5 year contract and he signed a two year contract for exactly 4.8 straight to ufa. buying the early ufa years (the players prime years) normally costs a premium. so a two years bridge deal should have been cheaper.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It’s gonna be 12-14 minutes of Johnson/Bitetto - Smith. Queue up the Benny Hill theme music. There’s 2 ways to react, enjoy the white knuckle roller coaster experience or use that time to take a dump, get a beer, answer texts/emails.

The Benny Hill theme will definitely be playing while I consume copious amounts of alcohol watching Johnson and Smith together. Hopefully it’s Bitetto and Smith. Bitetto is a competent 6th defender.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
no, actually you were wrong, if you predicted 4.8 on a 5 year contract and he signed a two year contract for exactly 4.8 straight to ufa. buying the early ufa years (the players prime years) normally costs a premium. so a two years bridge deal should have been cheaper.
The 2 year bridge takes him to RFA status.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Great deal for both parties, totally expected higher given his production this year but at least he gets to get paid again shortly and if he continues his success from this past season its gunna be a very nice payday.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
He's elite top tier for defensemen offensively and as others have pointed out that was more ES than PP to boot. Sure he could use some work on the defensive side of things but it's not nearly as bad as some of you are saying. He can improve and with a better partner we will see how he fares. But he's so gifted offensively that the deal is absolutely worth it, and is only 2 years taking him to RFA. There's the risk that he keeps this up or does even better and costs a fortune should we keep him, but it was the right move to limit term and see where it goes. He put up 30 in 60 the season before last, too.

And though I won't get into character details I will say that he's loved in the locker room and consistently named as one of funniest guys. Not to mention he stands up for teammates and plays with an edge.

This is a good deal to make at this point in time, period. Impossible to predict the next two years but as it stands it's hard not to like this.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

nice try, but your effort to twist this will not prevail as it is moot.

I said one # if a lot of years and another # if it was a short deal. My number was close to spot on.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Get a hold of My Cousin Vinny.... ready?
Are you sure, Ms De vi to?

The 2 year bridge takes him to RFA status.

True. He started late in the NHL.

Thank you!

This is incidental, btw, Rangers will move on soon and his long term # will be established by player and another club.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
2010ish marc staal was tremendous on the boards in the corners. the staal post eye injury and lower body injuries would not win the puck and get it going up ice.
That’s not true he still does win battles just can’t do anything with the puck after he wins them. For an example in the video in chat where Trouba gets striped from puck and Aho scores Staal probably would’ve been able to prevent that assuming his skating allowed him to get to that puck 1st.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
That’s not true he still does win battles just can’t do anything with the puck after he wins them. For an example in the video in chat where Trouba gets striped from puck and Aho scores Staal probably would’ve been able to prevent that assuming his skating allowed him to get to that puck 1st.
if u dont do anything with the puck u really didnt win the battle. staal used to gain possession of the puck consistently in board battles when he was younger. that hasnt happened in years.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Pair him with JJ for can't miss TV lol

Yeah we're all (maybe not all but I like to think most of us, lol) aware of how much of a dumpster fire our D will be this season. Thankfully we have a few great players and some really solid prospects on the way.

The JJ signing is one that boggles the mind. Would've been way better off playing a rookie because even if they sucked as much early on at least they'd be getting experience in. I hope Miller and Lundkvist come in sooner than later so we can get that going. The future is bright, at least!

And then there's Robertson, Jones, Reunanen, Schneider... we should be good.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
His “board play” isn’t strong either.
The only relationship between Staal and “boards” is that he throws the puck up the boards as a zone exit strategy. Typically it’s stopped by the opposing team’s RD who then proceeds to initiate a cycling sequence which Staal cannot keep up with so he plants himself in front of the net waiting to screen our GK from the resulting high slot shot. Every time, it’s like death and taxes certainty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad