Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Tony DeAngelo signs extension (2 years, $4.8M AAV)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I’ve never said that Tony doesn’t need to improve defensively and I’ve even said in this thread that his defense is meh. He’s elite offensively, but will probably never be the same in his own end. If he can even be slightly above average, he’d be a top-end defender.

Staal grades out as a replacement level defender and the eye test confirms this. Just as you claim that people don’t want to properly criticize DeAngelo, I think you’re the same with Staal.

Staal is a declining player and his cap hit is among the worst in the league. He is still fairly capable in his half of the ice and almost useless in the other half. He should be bottom pairing defensive situations only. He's also a Red Wing and their problem now but a very good teammate and probably someone who can help their younger D to grow into good pros. The Red Wings IMO could use someone like that and I don't think Yzerman is an idiot. He knows what he's getting and he knows how to build a team. The 2nd round pick certainly helps though too.

I like Marc Staal like I like Dan Girardi. They were both heart and soul players who eventually declined like all players eventually will decline. The two major injuries that Staal went through were horrific--especially the second one. That he came back from that one is a real testament to his perseverance.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Staal is a declining player and his cap hit is among the worst in the league. He is still fairly capable in his half of the ice and almost useless in the other half. He should be bottom pairing defensive situations only. He's also a Red Wing and their problem now but a very good teammate and probably someone who can help their younger D to grow into good pros. The Red Wings IMO could use someone like that and I don't think Yzerman is an idiot. He knows what he's getting and he knows how to build a team. The 2nd round pick certainly helps though too.

I like Marc Staal like I like Dan Girardi. They were both heart and soul players who eventually declined like all players eventually will decline. The two major injuries that Staal went through were horrific--especially the second one. That he came back from that one is a real testament to his perseverance.

No one is denying how good Staal was before the injuries. The fact of the matter is that he was god awful after Stralman left. He couldn’t carry a pairing at that point and was asked to do so. He graded out as a replacement level defenseman for at least the last 4-5 years of his tenure as a Ranger.

As for Yzerman, you’re right, he isn’t an idiot and got a 2nd rounder for helping the Rangers out, but that has nothing to do with the fact that Staal has been objectively bad for a VERY LONG time.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
1*xLBhYwW0LCWmxiGCn_6oRA.gif

His jock mays till be in the Scotiabank Arena rafters.
Playing with a bad hamstring does tend to affect movement. Nice move with speed by Carolina FWD as well

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
You’ve literally argued in a series of previous threads that teams would rather have Staal and even tried to argue it in here until every Ranger fan said you were wrong lmao.

Don’t be obtuse. Just stop.
I’m strongly against DeAngelo to the leafs he is the exact opposite dman they need. The leafs do not need offensive dman Staal would be equally as useless to the leafs. Trouba is a player that the leafs could use.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I’m strongly against DeAngelo to the leafs he is the exact opposite dman they need. The leafs do not need offensive dman Staal would be equally as useless to the leafs. Trouba is a player that the leafs could use.

None of that holds any relevance to what I said in the post you quoted.

I never said DeAngelo was a better fit for a Toronto. In a serious of previous threads involving the Rangers, you argued that Staal would hold more interest to teams and that Staal’s defense was what kept the pairing afloat, saying he was good defensively, which you’ve now changed your stance on after being corrected god knows how many times.

I’d move Trouba in the right deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad