Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Tony DeAngelo signs extension (2 years, $4.8M AAV)

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
you really think deangelo was going to get $6 per with term as an RFA based on one shortened seasons worth of production?

in what realm was that really going to happen?

maybe take a lap around the block and relax
I didn’t, My number was actually about 5 mil with not too much term. The realm in which he got paid is called the NHL realm when a RD pots 53 pots in 68 games as a progression over past performance. And who needs to relax, a fan contributing to a thread for his team or a very odd NYR stalker who feels some obsession to throw shade around?

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He’s better defensively than you think, which might justify the initial claim. So many of you have a very outdated idea of his defensive game.
Surprised about your take on him given I thought you would have him pegged lower like offensive minded young dmen like Hughes.

Reactions: CS95

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gorton traded a 1st for Trouba and two 2nds for Fox. That was what was being referred to. As previously stated, let him play the left side and I doubt they make it through the year with all 3 (Fox, Trouba, ADA) being healthy. Quality depth and options are a good thing.
I know what the poster was implying. Look at his username. He’ll say whatever he can to try and take a jab at Gorton, even when he’s failing miserably at it.

Fact is Gorton traded for ADA who was a question mark.

Then he acquired Trouba. Then, Fox.

ADA averaged over 19min a night, which is not your average 3rd pairing dmen TOI.

So, the whole premise of that post is straight up asinine.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I didn’t, My number was actually about 5 mil with not too much term. The realm in which he got paid is called the NHL realm when a RD pots 53 pots in 68 games as a progression over past performance. And who needs to relax, a fan contributing to a thread for his team or a very odd NYR stalker who feels some obsession to throw shade around?
ah a stalker on the public FA thread... I don't see me mozeying on over to the rangers boards

its ok, you can sleep well tonight

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Most underrated player in the NHL

giphy.gif

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
The only people who would suggest such a thing are 100% guilty of barely watching ADA play.

Gorton traded Stepan and Raanta for ADA and the 7th OA. Gorton didn’t trade a 1st and 2nd’s.

Also — ADA finished second with TOI in the team (well, 3rd technically if you count Skjei).
Or the people who have watched him play didn't have fanboy glasses on and see what he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Surprised about your take on him given I thought you would have him pegged lower like offensive minded young dmen like Hughes.

Shocking. You again with making everything about Quinn Hughes

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I don't claim DeAngelo's one of the best defensemen in the league. I think the best defensemen in the league must be able to defend at least at a league average level, hence I don't rank Hughes as highly as some people do. DeAngelo's defense gets constantly trashed, and most people say he's a 3rd pair PP guy. I think there's some room in between that and him being one of the best defensemen in the league. Wouldn't you agree? And if he was actually let's say the 50th or so best defensemen in the league and people say he's a 3rd pair defensemen with terrible defense, why wouldn't he among the most underrated players in the league?

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I was figuring 5 to 6.

Might still be trade bait.
even more so. at 6 he would have been much harder to move.

i really like the term for the rangers. two years means he expires in the same year as the elc of fox. they can than make the call, which one they will keep, if cap is scarce.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
$4.8, unreal

Gorton is my daddy
that's too much praise. last years bridge contracts as a comparison:
werenski 3y/5m
mcavoy 3y/4.9m
sanheim 2y/3.25m
carlo 2y/2.85m

or in 2018:
morrissey 2y/3.15m
nurse 2y/3.15m

it's totally possible, that sergachev signs a similar or even better bridge deal.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
that's too much praise. last years bridge contracts as a comparison:
werenski 3y/5m
mcavoy 3y/4.9m
sanheim 2y/3.25m
carlo 2y/2.85m

or in 2018:
morrissey 2y/3.15m
nurse 2y/3.15m

it's totally possible, that sergachev signs a similar or even better bridge deal.

ADA's point totals were huge leverage that most of those players didn't have, for better or for worse.

Negotiations also vary, we have no idea what factors drove negotiations in any way

Finally, I don't care about negotiations on other teams from last year. All I care about is how this affects the Rangers and our cap structure. What Tony brings to this team is worth 4.8, easily. Maybe if he was on the lightning he wouldn't be as valuable, but that isn't the case. His points and vision are extremely valuable for us

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
Sheltered by who? Trouba? His partner all season Marc Staal?
He's the 4th leading scoring dman in the NHL, 5 years younger than anyone ahead of him, and is the #1 dman in the league in transition offense, nearly on par with McDavid

yes sheltered by Trouba. sheltered refers to QoC. So another RD ahead in the line up is effectively shelthering him

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Very good deal for the Rangers! Now prove that you can continue on this pace and you'll get a longer contract

NY Rangers; $80,645,633 AAV
Ryan Strome & Brendan Lemieux to re-sign

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
The only people who would suggest such a thing are 100% guilty of barely watching ADA play.

Gorton traded Stepan and Raanta for ADA and the 7th OA. Gorton didn’t trade a 1st and 2nd’s.

Also — ADA finished second with TOI in the team (well, 3rd technically if you count Skjei).
I love how in another post you knew what I was implying ala Trouba Fox. That didn’t count McQuaid the year before or how during a rebuild they brought in a older more expensive version of Tony in the form of Shatty to take his spot. Can you explain to me how that doesn’t show faith in Tony?

He finished third in TOI but you fail to mention he spent 3 min of that on PP per games. He also avg 2 seconds per game on Pk but me claiming he is awesome offensively just upset you huh? If a game is 60 min on average how is it impressive he spends less than 20 minutes. The reason other defenders has less ice time is Brendan Smith while playing on 4th line would drop back and kill penalties. Tony trailed Trouba,Skjei,Brendan Smith,Lindgren,Staal,Fox in PK time. He trailed Trouba,Skjei and Fox in EV time. Two of those 3 were RHD higher on depth chart.

We will see if if he is on the 3rd pairing next year or top pairing. Lindgren and Fox are locked in as our 2nd pair. We will see but based off last season he got less EV ice time than Jack Johnson who joins Brendan Smith and Lindgren on the left side.

He is an elite puck moving Dman but needs improvement on the defensive side. I’m not sure why you disagree with that

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I know what the poster was implying. Look at his username. He’ll say whatever he can to try and take a jab at Gorton, even when he’s failing miserably at it.

Fact is Gorton traded for ADA who was a question mark.

Then he acquired Trouba. Then, Fox.

ADA averaged over 19min a night, which is not your average 3rd pairing dmen TOI.

So, the whole premise of that post is straight up asinine.
Thank you, Gorton constructed a very good RD corps in very little time. Dems the facts and no I’m not his mom or agent

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
ADA's point totals were huge leverage that most of those players didn't have, for better or for worse.

Negotiations also vary, we have no idea what factors drove negotiations in any way

Finally, I don't care about negotiations on other teams from last year. All I care about is how this affects the Rangers and our cap structure. What Tony brings to this team is worth 4.8, easily. Maybe if he was on the lightning he wouldn't be as valuable, but that isn't the case. His points and vision are extremely valuable for us
your defensive awareness is better than ada's. :naughty:

i am not criticizing the deal at all. ada might makes it a steal. i just thought it's not an outlier (much cheaper) than comparable bridge deals. :dunno:

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad