Confirmed with Link: NYR signed Vinni Lettieri

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree, but there are so many players who are signed as UDFA's that amount to nothing. These players were the best of the best of those players. Tanner Glass is regarded as maybe the worst player in the NHL by our fans, and he had a pretty similar PPG average to this guy in his senior year. This guy is also a smaller forward. You'd expect if someone like this was to make the NHL, he would've averaged close to 2PPG this season.

Vesey had 56 goals in 70 games his final two college seasons, won the top player award his last season. This season in the NHL, he probably won't even hit 30 points.

There is a really big drop off from college hockey to the NHL. If you aren't averaging 1PPG in your senior year in the NCAA, you probably will not be an NHL top 9 forward.

I think we should be signing players like this, but I think anyone penciling in a guy like this for an NHL career is stretching it. Odds are probably against this guy playing 50 NHL games.

I don't remember Chris Kreider ever doing a point a game in college. People sometimes get too stuck on statistics and don't look at how teams are structured---what kind of competition they play against and how their coaches use them. They sometimes get too stuck on the leagues. It's not always a pedigree thing.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'd say even 2nd round too. How many successful 2nd rounders have the NYR had last 20 years?

Avert your eyes if you have a weak stomach:

16 - none
15 - Gropp (TBD)
14 - Halverson (TBD)
13 - none
12 - Nieves (TBD)
11 - none
10 - Thomas (bust)
09 - Werek (bust)
08 - Stepan (Success)
07 - Lafleur (bust)
06 - Anisimov (Success)
05 - Sauer :cry: (Success), Cliche (inexplicably played two seasons of awful hockey for the AVs, bust)
04 - Olver (bust), Byers (bust), Graham (bust), Dubinsky (success)
03 - Baranka (bust)
02 - Falardeau (bust)
01 - Tyutin (Success)
00 - Novak (bust)
99 - Inman (bust)
98 - Copley (bust)
97 - Jarvis (bust)

I count five real NHLers over that span plus three prospects still in the system.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

16 - none
15 - Gropp (TBD)
14 - Halverson (TBD)
13 - none
12 - Nieves (TBD)
11 - none
10 - Thomas (bust)
09 - Werek (bust)
08 - Stepan (Success)
07 - Lafleur (bust)
06 - Anisimov (Success)
05 - Sauer :cry: (Success), Cliche (inexplicably played two seasons of awful hockey for the AVs, bust)
03 - Baranka (bust)
02 - Falardeau (bust)
01 - Tyutin (Success)
00 - Novak (bust)
99 - Inman (bust)
98 - Copley (bust)
97 - Jarvis (bust)

I count five real NHLers over that span plus three prospects still in the system.
I think the jury is still out on Lafleur

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

16 - none
15 - Gropp (TBD)
14 - Halverson (TBD)
13 - none
12 - Nieves (TBD)
11 - none
10 - Thomas (bust)
09 - Werek (bust)
08 - Stepan (Success)
07 - Lafleur (bust)
06 - Anisimov (Success)
03 - Baranka (bust)
02 - Falardeau (bust)
01 - Tyutin (Success)
00 - Novak (bust)
99 - Inman (bust)
98 - Copley (bust)
97 - Jarvis (bust)

Terrible, honestly I wouldn't count Sauer personally. Too bad he could've been a fit here for a long time too. **** dion

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
There's been a lot of really good players that slip into the early 2nd round, the only problem is we never are picking in those spots.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
There's been a lot of really good players that slip into the early 2nd round, the only problem is we never are picking in those spots.

Can really only go by our organizations history, hell we'd probably screw up Shea Weber if we got him in 03

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can really only go by our organizations history, hell we'd probably screw up Shea Weber if we got him in 03

I agree with your first part. Luckily I think they're at a point where they have enough assets to try to nab some of those rising talents into the early-to-mid second round. A lot of talented defensemen have been getting drafted around there, and it could do this organization wonders.

Or ya know, we draft a bust because the draft is mostly a crapshoot, but hey, that's life :laugh:

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I agree with your first part. Luckily I think they're at a point where they have enough assets to try to nab some of those rising talents into the early-to-mid second round. A lot of talented defensemen have been getting drafted around there, and it could do this organization wonders.

Or ya know, we draft a bust because the draft is mostly a crapshoot, but hey, that's life :laugh:

Preaching to the choir man, I'd be all for it. And I was just using hyperbole on the Weber thing :laugh:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Probably won't amount to anything. People shouldn't get their hopes up. There's a reason most of these players weren't drafted, and weren't already signed.

What if his name was Vaclav Lettierisov, would he have a better chance then? Nah, AV would probably hate him. :naughty:

Like I said in my previous post, players like this it can depend on the style they play and what skills they have that translate to the pro game. You can't always go by the numbers.

The odds are definitely stacked against an undrafted NCAA player, but let's see what we have first before writing him off. Even as assets these are good signings. Ryan Haggerty netted us Anti Raanta.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
People complaining over nothing. Free prospect is free prospect.

Hopefully he can make some noise on the trash situation that is Hartford

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't get why this signing is being bashed. Would I have liked Austin Cangelosi? Absolutely, but I'll take this kid. Brady will train with him in the offseason and help him acclimate to being a pro.

Then again, if this guy was Russian, PB would be already have his jersey, t-shirt with name and number on the back and a poster above his bed next to Buch's.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yes, I think he could be a good utility player with some skill. I think Lettieri can become like a grinder in the mold of Connor Sheary. Don't think he'll perform as well as Sheary, but there are some similarities in style.

^ Mentioned this in the draft thread. This is a good signing, people shouldn't be bashing the ELC. :dunno:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Good signing, i expect a lot of turnover in Hartford so stacking up on NCAA guys seems like a good plan.

Hopefully the turnover starts with the coaching staff. Signing guys like this and Pedrie are how u supplement trading draft picks, hopefully Hartford has a bunch of young guys with some veteran AHLers

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don't get why this signing is being bashed. Would I have liked Austin Cangelosi? Absolutely, but I'll take this kid. Brady will train with him in the offseason and help him acclimate to being a pro.

Then again, if this guy was Russian, PB would be already have his jersey, t-shirt with name and number on the back and a poster above his bed next to Buch's.

No one bashed the signing, you are making things up for affect. Its just reality that this guy probably won't make it, and won't amount to much. I say this about all these UDFA signings and the majority of our drafted prospects. I really don't understand why people make a big deal about signing players who are in most likelihood AHL'ers at best with the top few of them making it to the NHL, and defying the odds. Its a necessary thing to do, but these are mostly filler signings for the organization. Bringing up nationality is petty. If we signed a 22 year old 5'10 forward who had 10 points in the KHL or the SHL or Liiga, it wouldn't make the player any more likely to make the NHL.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Probably because our organisational depth is dire and having a strong organisation through the AHL and the ECHL is good for everyone, helps attracting players and helps developing players.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I don't remember Chris Kreider ever doing a point a game in college. People sometimes get too stuck on statistics and don't look at how teams are structured---what kind of competition they play against and how their coaches use them. They sometimes get too stuck on the leagues. It's not always a pedigree thing.

And for comparing it to Glass, that was over 10 years ago, and I could be wrong but couldn't the quality of competition have changed? Better players on the ice, better teams, harder to get points. Maybe I'm wrong & there's just more coverage but it doesn't seem fair to compare to a player 10 years ago in terms of points

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And for comparing it to Glass, that was over 10 years ago, and I could be wrong but couldn't the quality of competition have changed? Better players on the ice, better teams, harder to get points. Maybe I'm wrong & there's just more coverage but it doesn't seem fair to compare to a player 10 years ago in terms of points

No player, regardless of when he played, can be evaluated entirely on points scored. Yet certain members of this community insist on doing so...repeatedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad