Confirmed with Link: NYR signed Vinni Lettieri

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Zipay is the type of guy who farts on the toilet and flushes

I laughed out loud at this. Just didn't expect it. :laugh:

And more NCAA signings is something I'm always fine with. AHL stock or more than that as a bonus, it's all good. We need all that and we continue to be a good place for college players to look to. Keep building those bridges and showing these guys they've got a shot here. It's paid off so far, either by getting great players, or by trading some for other assets.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He's got better stats than Nieves who the Rangers are high on. The guy can skate. They will need to continue to develop bottom-6 players. Hopefully Nieves and this kid work out to be staples in the bottom-6.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm going to wait to comment until Zipay confirms.

Whatever your feelings about Zipay are he is still a source---or more a source than either you or I are.

As for Lettieri--that the Blackhawks were the other major team he was considering tells me that he should be at least a decent prospect.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's got better stats than Nieves who the Rangers are high on. The guy can skate. They will need to continue to develop bottom-6 players. Hopefully Nieves and this kid work out to be staples in the bottom-6.

I agree. The Rangers identity is great skating. The thing that Nieves has over Lettieri though is he's got a big body. And though Lettieri is a great skater---Nieves is too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Probably won't amount to anything. People shouldn't get their hopes up. There's a reason most of these players weren't drafted, and weren't already signed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Probably won't amount to anything. People shouldn't get their hopes up. There's a reason most of these players weren't drafted, and weren't already signed.

The draft isn't a be all or an end all. Recent Rangers players who weren't drafted are Mats Zuccarello, Cam Talbot, Martin St. Louis and whether you like him or not he's still played almost 800 games and more than 100 playoff games for the Rangers--Dan Girardi. There's also Nick Holden and Antti Raanta and Marek Hrivik.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The draft isn't a be all or an end all. Recent Rangers players who weren't drafted are Mats Zuccarello, Cam Talbot, Martin St. Louis and whether you like him or not he's still played almost 800 games and more than 100 playoff games for the Rangers--Dan Girardi. There's also Nick Holden and Antti Raanta and Marek Hrivik.

Not to mention Brian Rafalski, Dan Boyle, Torey Krug, etc. You hit on one of these guys and it makes a world of difference.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nieves was the better player excluding his Senior season. And that year Nieves was stuck behind that crazy line of Connor, Motte and Compher. They're both defensively responsible guys. Nieves is stronger.

Boo would be more highly regarded if he wasn't such a pass-happy player. He's a good distributor and has nice vision, but he's not a natural offensive wizard. He needs to pull the trigger. I think he has actually had a good rookie season in Hartford considering the relative strength of the team and his injuries.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Probably won't amount to anything. People shouldn't get their hopes up.

I mean this is true, but the same can be said for pretty much everyone taken in the third round or later. The vast majority of prospects, drafted or signed as UDFA's, will never make it. I think that's pretty well-established.

I think the fact that we're only on page two reflects that no one is really that excited. When Gilroy signed this place was crazy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not to mention Brian Rafalski, Dan Boyle, Torey Krug, etc. You hit on one of these guys and it makes a world of difference.

Yeah--there's a ton of guys who weren't drafted. If you don't do your scouting you're only ****ing yourself. Jake Muzzin, Dino Ciccarelli, Gretzky wasn't even drafted by an NHL team. I look at Vatrano right now--he could go either way but he's got real goal scoring skills.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah--there's a ton of guys who weren't drafted. If you don't do your scouting you're only ****ing yourself. Jake Muzzin, Dino Ciccarelli, Gretzky wasn't even drafted by an NHL team. I look at Vatrano right now--he could go either way but he's got real goal scoring skills.

And guys like Girardi and Matt Read weren't even considered at the top of their class. Sometimes it's these unheralded guys that end up contributing the most.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I mean this is true, but the same can be said for pretty much everyone taken in the third round or later. The vast majority of prospects, drafted or signed as UDFA's, will never make it. I think that's pretty well-established.

I think the fact that we're only on page two reflects that no one is really that excited. When Gilroy signed this place was crazy.

I'd say even 2nd round too. How many successful 2nd rounders have the NYR had last 20 years?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Free is for me.

Stock piling Undrafted college free agents is smart. As others have alluded to, youre hoping you get lucky and hit a homerun with one of these signings. Its just like drafting in the 4th round and later imo. Depth never hurts even if it ends up only being depth for Hartford.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I agree, but there are so many players who are signed as UDFA's that amount to nothing. These players were the best of the best of those players. Tanner Glass is regarded as maybe the worst player in the NHL by our fans, and he had a pretty similar PPG average to this guy in his senior year. This guy is also a smaller forward. You'd expect if someone like this was to make the NHL, he would've averaged close to 2PPG this season.

Vesey had 56 goals in 70 games his final two college seasons, won the top player award his last season. This season in the NHL, he probably won't even hit 30 points.

There is a really big drop off from college hockey to the NHL. If you aren't averaging 1PPG in your senior year in the NCAA, you probably will not be an NHL top 9 forward.

I think we should be signing players like this, but I think anyone penciling in a guy like this for an NHL career is stretching it. Odds are probably against this guy playing 50 NHL games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd be happy even if he just turns into a really good AHL player. We always have to turn to free agency to find 4A-type players for Hartford, and then they sign and Company Man Ken lets them dog it. There's never any continuity down there. If he's the next Marek Hrivik, **** it, I'll take that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
And guys like Girardi and Matt Read weren't even considered at the top of their class. Sometimes it's these unheralded guys that end up contributing the most.

Some undrafted guys who have played for the Rangers--Sean Avery, Kent-Erik Andersson, John Bednarski, Tim Bothwell, Phil Bourque, Dan Boyle, Donald Brashear, Jay Caufield, Ruslan Fedotenko, Paul Fenton, Nick Fotiu, Rob Ftorek, Matt Gilroy, Dan Girardi, Wayne Gretzky, Glenn Healy, Anders Hedberg, Nick Holden, Josh Jooris, Mike Keane, Tim Kerr, Kelly Kisio, Chris Kostopolous, Nick Kypreos, Darren Langdon, Grant Ledyard, Sylvain Lefevbre, Mikko Leinonen, Norm Maciver, Brian MacLellan, George McPhee, Marty McSorley, Ulf Nilsson, Colton Orr, Jed Ortmeyer, Mark Pavelich, Antti Raanta, Mike Ridley, Reijo Ruotsolainen, Martin St. Louis, Cam Talbot, Mark Tinordi, Mats Zuccarello.

Not all of these guys are great players but generally speaking they were important players at least for periods of time. Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, Joe Mullen, Joel Otto, Torey Krug, Tyler Johnson, Charlie Huddy, Curtis Glencross, Pascal Dupuis, Geoff Courtnall, Tyler Bozak, Jason Blake, Sergei Bobrovsky, Jay Beagle, Borje Salming, Steve Thomas, Dino Ciccarelli, Marian Stastny, Peter Stastny, Antoine Roussel, Trevor Van Riemsdyk, Brian Rafalski, Andy Greene, Steve Duchesne, Dave Poulin, John Madden, Jamie Macoun, Randy Gregg, Glenn Reach, Joel Ward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad