Confirmed with Link: NYR sign free agent forward Ville Meskanen

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The kid look interesting watching him on the highlights. Good signing, I believe more in making HFD a good place with signings like this than get older AHL vets.

Reactions: Rangers743

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder, are you guys gonna sign C Antti Suomela as well? :)

That is actually a player I expect to be signed by an NHL team. Had a great season and was also good on the national team this year. I just don't think we need another center. A team like Vancouver could definitely use him though

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm sure the kid is just happy to have gotten away from Ilves's mascot:
616px-Tampereen_Ilveksen_logo.svg.png

Reminds me of this:

e5022d596a19d0140aef7dc2e7a58d73--funny-taxidermy-stuffed-animals.jpg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This was a pretty slick pick up. Why wasn't he signed already?
He had a decent campaign two years ago--20 points in 44 games--but this past campaign was his first one where he did anything remarkable. My guess is he was under the radar until sometime last season and also under contract.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
@Hockeyisl1fe, any opinion on this Finnish player? I usually regard your opinion very highly when it comes to Finnish players.
Likes to drive to the net with his speed and good at finding those soft spots in the offensive zone to shoot. He was known in the juniors to be a pure offensive sniper (30 goals in 35 games in 2014/15 u20 league), but has added some variety to his play since started playing in Finnish pro leagues. Plays with a good attitude and battles hard, could be a good addition to have scoring depth in lower lines.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He had a decent campaign two years ago--20 points in 44 games--but this past campaign was his first one where he did anything remarkable. My guess is he was under the radar until sometime last season and also under contract.

I think he is a kid who more has been disregarded than flying under the radar if you get what I mean.

He is obviously a very skilled and talented hockey player, but he is probably the type a national team junior coach will select if he is good enough for a top 2 line and not a depth role. Looking at highlights and his junior stats, I can just imagine that he was pwning those junior leagues pretty much but maybe not playing much of a complete 2-way game.

But the kid is 23 y/o now and you don’t score in the SM-liigaa unless you can play on both sides of the puck. He and Lindqvist should help to provide good depth on the wings. Bring in some guys like Carey too. HFD should be a top team in the AHL and if you want to coach me close to even sniffing at the NHL level you must play really well because otherwise there will be 2-3 other guys next to you obviously doing a better job. I don’t ever want a kid walking around sulking because he isn’t getting a shot or even worse playing in the NHL despite not being ready.

Hockey players are like kids. As a parent it’s tough when they start school because they believe they are the best in the world at everything and you fear they will be in for the biggest disappointment ever. But they adjust really well to how good they are at stuff, there are always someone better, faster or whatever. It’s no big deal for them. A young hockey player that doesn’t get a spot because another young hockey player is doing a better job always takes it really well and often push himself harder and harder and harder. But a young player who don’t get a shot because a coach don’t think he is ready — even if he is the best kid for the job — often reacts differently and sulks and it’s just not a good environment. Big reason for why depth is so important.

Reactions: egelband

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
just glad he is not 5'4" 150lbs but skates like the wind with a high hockey IQ! players go undrafted and then blossom never know ....

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad