Confirmed with Link: NYR sign free agent forward Ville Meskanen

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can we just ponder for a moment the fact that we, humans, have (mostly) symmetrical bodies but asymmetrical control over it? What glitch in the evolutionary matrix is responsible for that?

Well, I had an interesting discussion about this years ago where someone said that left-handedness is an anomaly comparable to dextrocardia.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can we just ponder for a moment the fact that we, humans, have (mostly) symmetrical bodies but asymmetrical control over it? What glitch in the evolutionary matrix is responsible for that?

Well, it’s somewhat evolutionary. The left side of the brain controls the right hand. The left side of the brain is also responsible for language, both written and spoken. Speech/language is really the thing that gave humans a leg up on their competitors, so the better developed that left side was, the better humans did. Genetics takes care of the rest. That’s the theory anyway (the scientific theory, so backed up by evidence...)

It’s interesting that there really isn’t a left handed gene. There’s a right handed gene and a 50-50 gene. Obviously if you have the righty gene, you’re righty. If you have the 50-50, you could be either.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am liking these signings of young top scorers from European leagues. This makes it easier to part ways with some of our players if there is a good deal on the table.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yes we all have to remember we penciled in some of these guys last year and they never worked out

Or maybe just one, that clown Russian D-man.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not a great sign that he brought nothing to team Finland when up against solid players.

I still like the signing righty sniper 22 years old but not liking hearing that at all. He’s not going to be a 4th liner his own words so he’s gotta score or he won’t be here

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not a great sign that he brought nothing to team Finland when up against solid players.

I still like the signing righty sniper 22 years old but not liking hearing that at all. He’s not going to be a 4th liner his own words so he’s gotta score or he won’t be here

Yeah, it’s a fair point and we shouldn’t have too high expectations on him.

But — to not lose out on these kids, which is good — we are going after them pretty early. Quite many players put it together later in their careers. A Panarin was 24-25 when he went to Chicago, he scored like what 0.33 PPG in the KHL when he was the same age as Meskanen is now.

Meskanen is definitely not ‘there’ yet. But he isn’t at the age where he is a finished product. Preferably — to be perfectly honest — I would definitely have liked to leave him in Finland another year or two. Instead of bringing them over right after their breakout year, I would have preferred to get them right after a real top season that many guys get 1-2 years later. To play in the NHL Meskanen got to show up with some ridiculous speed and poise with the puck. I think it would have been easier to get that poise and confidence at least stating put. But if we don’t sign him someone else would have.

Let’s hope for a couple of spectacular couple of years from him development wise.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Never good hearing that, but it could be a method of motivation for him to make NYR!!

#Optimism

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's certainly a chance that neither of them are good enough. Meskanen isn't even 1PPG in Liiga, so I find it hard to believe he's more than like a 3rd or 4th line NHL'er right now. Lindqvist was just over 1PPG in SHL, which is comparable to AHL, so he probably deserves a chance, but the kid is 23 and has been a pro for many seasons, so there's no guarantee that he'll be an NHL'er. But we don't need two of them to be NHL'ers. I don't even see the room for both of them on the NHL team.

Reactions: haveandare and Ola

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
There's certainly a chance that neither of them are good enough. Meskanen isn't even 1PPG in Liiga, so I find it hard to believe he's more than like a 3rd or 4th line NHL'er right now. Lindqvist was just over 1PPG in SHL, which is comparable to AHL, so he probably deserves a chance, but the kid is 23 and has been a pro for many seasons, so there's no guarantee that he'll be an NHL'er. But we don't need two of them to be NHL'ers. I don't even see the room for both of them on the NHL team.
Pretty much where I'm at with them right now. I've never seen them play outside of a highlight clip, so I'm just gonna wait and be pleasantly surprised if they can make it. I'd be more than happy if they can be top-6 wingers for Hartford and help drive the offense down there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty much where I'm at with them right now. I've never seen them play outside of a highlight clip, so I'm just gonna wait and be pleasantly surprised if they can make it. I'd be more than happy if they can be top-6 wingers for Hartford and help drive the offense down there.

KZB
Kovy-Chytil-Zucc
Andersson-Hayes-Spooner/Namestnikov/Vesey
Fast-Free Agent 4C-Lindqvist/Meskanen

I think 2 of the players listed in 3RW will be traded. Maybe only 1 if Zucc goes.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

True, but the massive improvement this year by Lindqvist is definitely a good sign. After years in the Allsvenskan, he had the chance to move to a team in the SHL and has done great on Farjestad

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He wasn't productive on the fourth line in an EHT series. From what I've read about him, doesn't really sound like his game is conducive to playing a grinding role on the fourth line. I don't really see that as a problem or as a concern. I might be concerned if the coach said, "His effort was poor," or, "He had a bad attitude," or something like that. That he wasn't productive in that role? Gets a big "whatever" from me.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Also, in a world where right handed people are dominant over left handed, why is it that in hockey and baseball there seem to be waves of LH, opposed to RH. Just wondering. I know 1st base is closer fo a LH batter, and easier to field 1st base as a lefty, but other than that....
Wow, that's awesome. I actually started a good "a bit off topic" conversation. Me likey.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I know Virta is a little older, but I'm not sure there's a huge rush to get him here this year. He played a big role for TPS and had a really nice year. They may just let him finish that deal out then bring him over after. He has developed nicely over there.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Wonder if any or all of Verta, Lindqvist and Meskanen would be in the prospect camp following the draft. Generally Euro leagues seasons start earlier so I'd assume a decision on where they will play next year will be made in July.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Why does a 4th liner have to be bad at scoring? Why do they always have to fit an archetype?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad