Proposal: NYR - LA Kings

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
LA passes. Our right side defense is set for years with Doughty, Roy and Walker.

We have Durzi almost ready, Spence Grans and a few others in the pipeline for the future

not trading a prospect I consider an upper echelon prospect for lesser prospects. Our prospect cupboards are full as it is.

I will however reverse this and trade you Turcotte and a B level prospect for Kakko as he would be ideal in our rebuild plans.

You just got your answer as to why the Rangers say no to that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Just gave it as the same type of trade offered to us. There is no need for us to do 2 for 1 deals for lesser players when our cupboards are stocked

teams just are not good trade partners.

So then just say the last part.

All you’re doing is making things worse.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
So then just say the last part.

All you’re doing is making things worse.

Sorry you feel that way. The guy was a new poster and not out of line at all. One of the more thought out proposals. Was just trying to show him the trade in reverse so hopefully he understood why we wouldn’t do it. Wasn’t crapping in him at all.

you guys have some awesome pieces I love but we are in the same position. We can overpay for who we want. So might as well get the right guy.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We covered this this summer and my feeling was the same then. Both teams might make good trade partners in the near future, but I think each wants to find out what they have before making moves that complement each roster.

Does LA need a blue chip D prospect? Probably. Does NYR need a blue chip Top 6 C prospect? Probably. But from a Kings perspective this feels like selling low on Turcotte and buying high on Lundqvist at this stage.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don’t see any reason that the Kings should move Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Bjornfot, or Grans. These guys all have massive potential and for a rebuilding team like LA, they’re worth their weight in gold.

Lundkvist looks to be a great player but LA has a lot of defensemen in the pipeline now as well. Tobias Bjornfot, Mikey Anderson, Kale Clague, Helge Grans, and Brock Faber, just to name a few. I think the Rangers should try to move a guy like DeAngelo for a more established center, but that’s just me.

Also, with the Kings hiring Wroblewski to coach the Reign, there’s basically a zero percent chance the Kings are trading Turcotte.

Reactions: deaderhead28

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Sorry you feel that way. The guy was a new poster and not out of line at all. One of the more thought out proposals. Was just trying to show him the trade in reverse so hopefully he understood why we wouldn’t do it. Wasn’t crapping in him at all.

you guys have some awesome pieces I love but we are in the same position. We can overpay for who we want. So might as well get the right guy.

That’s part of why I’m saying what I’m saying in these replies to you. It’s not the usual HFNYR 3 in which every Ranger fan doesn’t endorse their proposals. It’s a new guy.

Maybe at another point in time, the Rangers and Kings would make a deal, but I don’t see it now.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
LA passes. Our right side defense is set for years with Doughty, Roy and Walker.

We have Durzi almost ready, Spence Grans and a few others in the pipeline for the future

not trading a prospect I consider an upper echelon prospect for lesser prospects. Our prospect cupboards are full as it is.

I will however reverse this and trade you Turcotte and a B level prospect for Kakko as he would be ideal in our rebuild plans.

Plus we added Faber to the right side D too. We're good for now unless someone wants to trade us the next Doughty.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012

LA for sure passes just due to Turcotte being the prospect he is but....LOL Roy and Walker are your RHD of the future? They have very little upside and are basically 26 years old

Reactions: KrabStuff

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019
We covered this this summer and my feeling was the same then. Both teams might make good trade partners in the near future, but I think each wants to find out what they have before making moves that complement each roster.

Does LA need a blue chip D prospect? Probably. Does NYR need a blue chip Top 6 C prospect? Probably. But from a Kings perspective this feels like selling low on Turcotte and buying high on Lundqvist at this stage.

I get that and understand why you wouldn't want to sell low on Turcotte. I didn't see it as selling low I just think that Lundqvist has no1 potential and Turcotte has no1 potential.

I defo seeing us being trade partners eventually we both have what the others prospect pool is missing, but I understand wanting to wait and see how they turn out before selling.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LA for sure passes just due to Turcotte being the prospect he is but....LOL Roy and Walker are your RHD of the future? They have very little upside and are basically 26 years old

That's not what he said. He said they're set for at least a few years. Doughty is a #1. Roy is easily a #2-3, Walker is a #4-5. And they're all in their primes. It's not an immediate need. I know Lundqvist isn't an immediate solution either but it's not an urgent trade, and that's discounting Grans, Faber, Durzi, Spence existing at all.

It's smarter for both teams to see prospect trajectories before diving. Patience is fine here.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kings have no need for RD:

Current and projected for a few years:
Doughty
Roy
Walker

AHL, moderate chance of NHL
Durzi
Strand

Prospects below AHL with high likliehood of NHL:
Grans
Faber
Spence

Its just not an area that the Kings need to address.

The Kings needs are LW and in goal.

1. OP deserves kudos on breakin it w/a solid first effort.

2. title of thread is not restricted to OP, is open to anything between these 2 teams

3. Above looks like constructive basis for discussion.

We are auctioning Geo if we like what we have while we retain Shesty and Wall/Lindbom develop for next yr. Can do a Jimmy Howard 1 yr stopgap.

We also have Buchnevich, lefty shot, plays either W.
Top 6, has signif time w/Kreider + Zib so consider 1st line esp w/right linemates.

What do you offer, we are looking for futures, want to give mins to emerging talent we are keeping, Krav, Kakko, etc etc etc

will check in w/ya tom.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neutral fan... i mean how many D prospects are better that lundkvist? Out of curiosity... i feel like hes prob top 10 pushing top 5 range.

which is about where turcotte is on the center prospects

You are selling Turcotte short. He's at least in the conversation for best center prospect, arguably the best.

Reactions: kilowatt

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Plus we added Faber to the right side D too. We're good for now unless someone wants to trade us the next Doughty.

I think we should also maybe propose to Ottawa, they maybe could use a center prospect and they have the sickest LHD pool right now (Chabot in the NHL, Brannstrom and Sanderson in pool).

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
While there is some sense to the general idea that the Kings need to swap forward prospects for defensive prospects (and I believe most Kings fans are dramatically overrating the defensive prospects we do have... Clague is a poor man's Chris Snell and Durzi has no NHL upside IMO), I don't think the value is even here.

Turcotte, despite his difficult D+1 year, is still a better prospect than Lundkvist and the mid-round throw-in there isn't worth anything.

As a Kings fan, I'd be willing to move Turcotte for a defensive prospect, but it has to be somebody better than that.

We can use our cap space to acquire a good, scoring winger already succeeding in the NHL. I agree with you, we should keep our excess precious center prospects, no matter how many we have, for other key positional players such as defense.

I would give our defensive prospect depth a B- at best even after this draft...no top pairing prospects and no 1Ds in the system nor on the NHL club. Bjorfot is not a 1D as of now and Durzi/Grans/Faber/Spence on the RHD side will be quite fortunate to become everyday defensemen, current projection-wise, on a NHL contender. Hopefully the young guys below Doughty on our RHD depth can hold up (Roy and Walker) or improve.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005

I will counter your counter and say Kakko for Byfield

Reactions: slg1963

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Okay so I've been lurking here for years and never posted anything so please go easy on me. Also I have mild dyslexia so if there are grammatical errors I'm sorry in advance.

NYR trade - Nils Lundkvist (RD) + Lauri Pajuniemi (RW)

LA Trade - Alexander Turcotte (C)

Reason NYR do it: They have a surplus of RD at the NHL level, with Nils seemingly ready to make the transition fairly soon there isn't much space for him on the roster. He is one of the top defensive prospects in hockey and maybe the best currently in Europe. We also just drafted Braden Schneider who is a solid prospect and have a tone of LD in the pipeline, the biggest weakness in our prospect pool is high upside centerman.

Reason LA Kings do it: LA have an abundance of center prospects and still have Kopitar at the NHL level. With the addition of Byfield they have their future number 1 and probably have a number 2 in Rasmus Kupari. They also have Akil Thomas and Lias Andersson in the pipeline and despite the overblown attitude issues of Lias he is a pretty solid prospect and is producing in the SHL.

This is purely two teams trading from a point of strength in their prospect pool, I recognise that Turcotte is more valuable than Nils hence why I included Pajuniemi who had a really good season in Liiga this year.

No. Turcotte has proven nothing. He's playing against kids. Lundkvist broke records playing against men. The Rangers could try moving Kravtsov or even Lafreniere to center. Or maybe Chytil takes a huge step up. Either way, TDA is probably not here long term and Lundkvist will replace him.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3