Proposal: NYR - LA Kings

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019
Okay so I've been lurking here for years and never posted anything so please go easy on me. Also I have mild dyslexia so if there are grammatical errors I'm sorry in advance.

NYR trade - Nils Lundkvist (RD) + Lauri Pajuniemi (RW)

LA Trade - Alexander Turcotte (C)

Reason NYR do it: They have a surplus of RD at the NHL level, with Nils seemingly ready to make the transition fairly soon there isn't much space for him on the roster. He is one of the top defensive prospects in hockey and maybe the best currently in Europe. We also just drafted Braden Schneider who is a solid prospect and have a tone of LD in the pipeline, the biggest weakness in our prospect pool is high upside centerman.

Reason LA Kings do it: LA have an abundance of center prospects and still have Kopitar at the NHL level. With the addition of Byfield they have their future number 1 and probably have a number 2 in Rasmus Kupari. They also have Akil Thomas and Lias Andersson in the pipeline and despite the overblown attitude issues of Lias he is a pretty solid prospect and is producing in the SHL.

This is purely two teams trading from a point of strength in their prospect pool, I recognise that Turcotte is more valuable than Nils hence why I included Pajuniemi who had a really good season in Liiga this year.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
LA passes. Our right side defense is set for years with Doughty, Roy and Walker.

We have Durzi almost ready, Spence Grans and a few others in the pipeline for the future

not trading a prospect I consider an upper echelon prospect for lesser prospects. Our prospect cupboards are full as it is.

I will however reverse this and trade you Turcotte and a B level prospect for Kakko as he would be ideal in our rebuild plans.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I will however reverse this and trade you Turcotte and a B level prospect for Kakko as he would be ideal in our rebuild plans.

Rangers say no to both proposals. We're definitely not giving up Kakko for Turcotte, and I'm hesitant to trade Lundkvist for him. Yes, we just drafted Schneider, but I want to see how he progresses before I pencil him into the lineup. ADA will likely get traded, so we need Lundqvist to eventually take his place. Maybe Schneider changes that equation as some point, but we're not there yet.

Ideally, there's a deal out there for ADA that nets us a future top 6 center.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
LA passes. Our right side defense is set for years with Doughty, Roy and Walker.

We have Durzi almost ready, Spence Grans and a few others in the pipeline for the future

not trading a prospect I consider an upper echelon prospect for lesser prospects. Our prospect cupboards are full as it is.

I'm not sure if Turcotte is the better prospect here. Draft position aside, Lundqvist has improved exponentially.

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019

Interesting counter, It would definitely spark my interest as I see center as a huge hole for us outside of Zib and Chytil. But I think on this occasion I would have to decline because I believe that Kakko will easily be the best player in this trade where as I don't think the gap between Lundkvist and Turcotte is as much as people think.

Ledge And Dairy

Rangers say no to both proposals. We're definitely not giving up Kakko for Turcotte, and I'm hesitant to trade Lundkvist for him. Yes, we just drafted Schneider, but I want to see how he progresses before I pencil him into the lineup. ADA will likely get traded, so we need Lundqvist to eventually take his place. Maybe Schneider changes that equation as some point, but we're not there yet.

Ideally, there's a deal out there for ADA that nets us a future top 6 center.
Lol at thinking Lundkvist is worth remotely as much as Turcotte.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
While there is some sense to the general idea that the Kings need to swap forward prospects for defensive prospects (and I believe most Kings fans are dramatically overrating the defensive prospects we do have... Clague is a poor man's Chris Snell and Durzi has no NHL upside IMO), I don't think the value is even here.

Turcotte, despite his difficult D+1 year, is still a better prospect than Lundkvist and the mid-round throw-in there isn't worth anything.

As a Kings fan, I'd be willing to move Turcotte for a defensive prospect, but it has to be somebody better than that.

Reactions: Rorschach

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
While there is some sense to the general idea that the Kings need to swap forward prospects for defensive prospects (and I believe most Kings fans are dramatically overrating the defensive prospects we do have... Clague is a poor man's Chris Snell and Durzi has no NHL upside IMO), I don't think the value is even here.

Turcotte, despite his difficult D+1 year, is still a better prospect than Lundkvist and the mid-round throw-in there isn't worth anything.

As a Kings fan, I'd be willing to move Turcotte for a defensive prospect, but it has to be somebody better than that.
Neutral fan... i mean how many D prospects are better that lundkvist? Out of curiosity... i feel like hes prob top 10 pushing top 5 range.

which is about where turcotte is on the center prospects

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019
Neutral fan... i mean how many D prospects are better that lundkvist? Out of curiosity... i feel like hes prob top 10 pushing top 5 range.

I agree with this, I'm not sure there are many D prospects out there better than Nils let alone a team willing to trade them.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California

Maybe I'm under-valuing Lundkvist... but I'd be thinking more Seider / Broberg level. Players the Kings could have drafted in the first place, haha. But as time passes, you never know how your needs will change.

Reactions: KrabStuff

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019
I would be very reluctant to give up Nils for Turcotte, both are very good players. My reasoning behind this is I believe laf can play both LW and Center.

This is a fair point but I would rather keep a prospect in their most favoured position, at least in their first few years of their NHL careers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe I'm under-valuing Lundkvist... but I'd be thinking more Seider / Broberg level. Players the Kings could have drafted in the first place, haha. But as time passes, you never know how your needs will change.
Ah prob just us valuing him differently then...

I kinda throw him in that seider/broberg level

Well id have Sedier/Lundkivst ahead of broberg

Reactions: bernmeister

KrabStuff

Dec 13, 2019
I would have agreed with you when Lundkvist was drafted, but he has come a long way and his development curve has shot through the roof. He is a steal at where we took him.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Turcotte didn’t have a great season battling through illness and injury but I don’t think the Kings are down on him enough to trade him for a prospect. They would be wise to see what they have before moving a top prospect.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Okay so I've been lurking here for years and never posted anything so please go easy on me. Also I have mild dyslexia so if there are grammatical errors I'm sorry in advance.

NYR trade - Nils Lundkvist (RD) + Lauri Pajuniemi (RW)

LA Trade - Alexander Turcotte (C)

Reason NYR do it: They have a surplus of RD at the NHL level, with Nils seemingly ready to make the transition fairly soon there isn't much space for him on the roster. He is one of the top defensive prospects in hockey and maybe the best currently in Europe. We also just drafted Braden Schneider who is a solid prospect and have a tone of LD in the pipeline, the biggest weakness in our prospect pool is high upside centerman.

Reason LA Kings do it: LA have an abundance of center prospects and still have Kopitar at the NHL level. With the addition of Byfield they have their future number 1 and probably have a number 2 in Rasmus Kupari. They also have Akil Thomas and Lias Andersson in the pipeline and despite the overblown attitude issues of Lias he is a pretty solid prospect and is producing in the SHL.

This is purely two teams trading from a point of strength in their prospect pool, I recognise that Turcotte is more valuable than Nils hence why I included Pajuniemi who had a really good season in Liiga this year.

Welcome to the big board.
Don't let your self admitted affliction inhibit you.

In the words of Billy Joel, don't take any sh-t from anybody!
------------
As to the deal, while value from LA is not chopped liver, as noted we need Nils L b'c Deangelo is gonna go, like it or not, due to long term cap.

Think NY-LA relatively happy where they are and no big deals betw. atm.

Lol at thinking Lundkvist is worth remotely as much as Turcotte.
LOL yerself.
comparable elite prospects, ballpark

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Kings have no need for RD:

Current and projected for a few years:
Doughty
Roy
Walker

AHL, moderate chance of NHL
Durzi
Strand

Prospects below AHL with high likliehood of NHL:
Grans
Faber
Spence

Its just not an area that the Kings need to address.

The Kings needs are LW and in goal.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think Turcotte is viewed as immovable for this season. The Kings aren't down on him at all I think, at least not yet. It would take an extreme offer to get their attention. I don't think the Rangers and Kings are good trading partners. They are in the same boat, still trying to figure out what they got from their rich cache of futures, and aren't willing to pay what it takes to fulfill team needs until they have a better idea of where they're at.

Reactions: go4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->