Proposal: NYR - LA Kings

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
That's not what he said. He said they're set for at least a few years. Doughty is a #1. Roy is easily a #2-3, Walker is a #4-5. And they're all in their primes. It's not an immediate need. I know Lundqvist isn't an immediate solution either but it's not an urgent trade, and that's discounting Grans, Faber, Durzi, Spence existing at all.

It's smarter for both teams to see prospect trajectories before diving. Patience is fine here.
Roy is a top pairing defenseman? Since when? Did you see where L.A ended up in the standings out West?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I assume LAK say no to this right now because Byfield is the shiny new toy, but this trade makes an insane amount of sense to me.
LA doesnt say no to this because Byfields a shiny new toy. They say no because hes a great player with a ton of potential.
They also say no because Kakko didnt impress anyone with his play this year. Including you if you think it makes an insane amount of sense to trade him and are already willing to ship him out.
This thread should be closed. Ranger fans riding this guy Lundkvist so hard. Just keep him if hes so good. And quit being so defensive about how good he is. Understand he is not a well known prospect to everyone outside your fan base so they arent likely to want to give up their future captain for him.

Reactions: Guitpik

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
LA doesnt say no to this because Byfields a shiny new toy. They say no because hes a great player with a ton of potential.
They also say no because Kakko didnt impress anyone with his play this year. Including you if you think it makes an insane amount of sense to trade him and are already willing to ship him out.
This thread should be closed. Ranger fans riding this guy Lundkvist so hard. Just keep him if hes so good. And quit being so defensive about how good he is. Understand he is not a well known prospect to everyone outside your fan base so they arent likely to want to give up their future captain for him.
Not only that but he is the only decent piece they got in the Mac/Miller trade. Howden is a borderline 4th liner,Hajek is 7 dman at best and Karl Henriksson is another Robin Kovacs or Lias Andersson that Sather’s boy toy loves

Reactions: Schmooley

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Uhhh. Go re read my post about Lundkvist first of all.

Secondly, Kakko absolutely did impress as a teenager this year, particularly after the COVID break. I’m in no rush at all to ship him out, not even close.

The only move I’d consider is for a similarly ranked prospect at a position of need. That’s exactly what Byfield is. It’s a potential hockey trade that helps both teams.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Secondly, Kakko absolutely did impress as a teenager this year, particularly after the COVID break. I’m in no rush at all to ship him out, not even close.

The only move I’d consider is for a similarly ranked prospect at a position of need. That’s exactly what Byfield is. It’s a potential hockey trade that helps both teams.

LA builds up the middle. There is no chance they send their top center prospects out for wingers. We will hold onto what we have and make moves to fill holes once we’re closer to competing.

Reactions: Guitpik

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Roy is a top pairing defenseman? Since when? Did you see where L.A ended up in the standings out West?

Last season. Don't be so proud of your ignorance. And I said #2-#3. He's ideally the guy running the second pairing but he can handle #2 minutes and look good doing it.

And LA finished in the same place in their division as NYR did in theirs :laugh: by that logic no Rangers are difference makers and scrap the whole thread.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Last season. Don't be so proud of your ignorance. And I said #2-#3. He's ideally the guy running the second pairing but he can handle #2 minutes and look good doing it.

And LA finished in the same place in their division as NYR did in theirs :laugh: by that logic no Rangers are difference makers and scrap the whole thread.
Well yeah, we suck too as we're both rebuilding teams. I'm actually legitimately surprised that there's a new Top pair defender surfacing out of L.A by the name of Roy. Is he comparable to Fox?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well yeah, we suck too as we're both rebuilding teams. I'm actually legitimately surprised that there's a new Top pair defender surfacing out of L.A by the name of Roy. Is he comparable to Fox?

Fox is almost certainly better now and will likely stay better, I think Fox is a #1. I'm not sure Roy can really reach that level, he's not dynamic really. Good at moving and blasting the puck but not at carrying it, doesn't scare anyone, but he may be better defensively and may stay that way. That's why I say 2-3. He can hold his own on the top pairing but he's not a main threat, maybe sort of like Vlasic in that regard. He's sneaky-quiet good, which is one of the reasons no one noticed him having the best d-man season on the Kings this year.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

When factoring in player for player trades, role and position are almost as meaningful as talent-based attributes. Winger is the lowest value role/position while 1C is the highest. If you trade a 1RW, for a C, you're looking at trading for a player that's a tier lower in talent. Byfield in my opinion, looking at how everyone (not just Kings fans) rate him, is at least equal tier to Kakko. But he is a 1C. You're looking at getting like a Perfetti or Rossi-level 1C prospect/young player. It's the same reason why Kakko was available to draft at #2...because the 1C Hughes was picked first.

And I don't think LA is interested in trading down Byfield for Kakko +. On the other hand, we have literally a smorgasbord of other (non-Vilardi) young centers both in the NHL and lesser league center prospects we could discuss. Maybe you get a future 1bC/2C and a future 3/4C to go with Chytil to sort out your entire center corps. (If you say no to Kakko for our other centers, now you know how we feel about trading Byfield for Kakko +.)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kakko is a promising player but he has some issues to work on. The fact he was 26x on the ice, even strength, with a goal against is one of them. He was by far the worst Ranger with +/- and than this stat says something. Would be cool to have him though.

Byfield is obviously LA’s newest toy, like has been said, so nobody is very eager to trade him when he/she would be the GM.

I always wonder why people come up with this **** anyway. Rarely you see highly touted prospects getting traded for eachother and it always turns into bickering & moaning.

Completely useless.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You guys spent many a year in the basement and rebuilt well with your lottery picks. We got our first second overall and first overall in Franchise history. Think about that for a second.

That is actually a big misconception around here. I will point out this again, so just check the rosters of those Cup winning teams. It was good drafting/trading and even with one lottery pick like Doughty, LA could have ended up with Pietrangelo or Bogosian instead but yes, Drew was a major part. The Schenn trade was a filthy one, but could have been made with other assets too. Hickey was a bust. LA like Calgary picked between spot 10 & 20 many years in a row. Not good enough for the playoffs, too good for the basement. The team didnt win due to lottery picks.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I just don't see a deal here. Rangers offer Lundkvist for Turcotte. Kings counter with Kakko. Rangers counter with Byfield. Kings counter with Laf. Too much gap between prospects, and nobody wants to get the lesser one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Thanks,Kings can't do any worse than the Rangers have on their development program with Lias.
The one where the organization gave him a shot, realized he wasn't close to being ready, sent him to the A and the kid threw a fit. That one?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
When factoring in player for player trades, role and position are almost as meaningful as talent-based attributes. Winger is the lowest value role/position while 1C is the highest. If you trade a 1RW, for a C, you're looking at trading for a player that's a tier lower in talent. Byfield in my opinion, looking at how everyone (not just Kings fans) rate him, is at least equal tier to Kakko. But he is a 1C. You're looking at getting like a Perfetti or Rossi-level 1C prospect/young player. It's the same reason why Kakko was available to draft at #2...because the 1C Hughes was picked first.

And I don't think LA is interested in trading down Byfield for Kakko +. On the other hand, we have literally a smorgasbord of other (non-Vilardi) young centers both in the NHL and lesser league center prospects we could discuss. Maybe you get a future 1bC/2C and a future 3/4C to go with Chytil to sort out your entire center corps. (If you say no to Kakko for our other centers, now you know how we feel about trading Byfield for Kakko +.)
This is fair.

Reactions: Rorschach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad