Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Duclair is better and got 1.5M a year less.

We love overpaying 4th liners. Vesey and McLeod with 3M in cap space next year, but we have to trade Hayes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Completely underserved contract. And it doesn't matter because we don't need the cap space for those two years, but why are we even trying to re-sign him? Why not trade him? He sucks. Its a joke that his contract is higher than Fast's. Should've used Fast's as a comparable, and told him to take less because he's a worse hockey player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he had some terrible numbers under AV, but what often got overlooked was his pretty solid transition stats and his ability to generate individual scoring chances.

I think he’ll benefit from a more north-south oriented system, and he’s shown that he is a good depth goal scorer. Never play him on the powerplay again though, please.

He has good transition stats because he's a good skater, maybe even a very good skater. He handles the puck kind of well, better than someone like Kreider, but Vesey has absolutely no idea how to finish or make good plays with the puck. He can transition it and create individual scoring chances, but they rarely result in goals, and he absolutely cannot finish, unless he's standing in front of the net.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
salary might be a tad high but we've got so much cap space its not a big deal. would love to see him break out under quinn but I still don't see where he fits long term. if i had to bet $$ vesey won't be here after the deadline

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If he hits 20 goals and 40 points,its a steal of a contract.

Yet, people will still hate him even if he accomplishes that.

The thing with Vesey is, he has a very punchable face, similar to a guy like
Tom-Poti-2.jpg

upload_2018-7-18_0-45-6.jpeg

Tom-Poti-1.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-18_0-45-47.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-18_0-45-47.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2018-7-18_0-46-37.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-18_0-46-37.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: mrmovies779

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Problem was that Vesey was forced to be a grinder when he was really more of a scorer in college. Now that we maybe have less depth he might get more icetime on top 2 lines and PP. Also if Hayes could be taught to kill penalties, Vesey can as well.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The problem with Vesey has always been, and will always be, that people have unrealistic expectations of him because of his free agency drama. Fans were celebrating as if we just won the Stanley Cup when he signed with us. Even celebrities like Sarandon and Neeson chimed in. He's just not that good. A 4th liner who can play on the 3rd line on a bottom-5 team. If it is only about goals, we could have given Pirri 2m AAV as well.

My only real issue is that his contract expires for his first UFA season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He has good transition stats because he's a good skater, maybe even a very good skater. He handles the puck kind of well, better than someone like Kreider, but Vesey has absolutely no idea how to finish or make good plays with the puck. He can transition it and create individual scoring chances, but they rarely result in goals, and he absolutely cannot finish, unless he's standing in front of the net.
So basically this:

Reactions: haveandare

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He’s good around the net. He gets into trouble when he tries to do too much. Hopefully Wuinn can get him to simplify his game. If he can do that, I don’t see a reason why 35 points and 20g is out of the realm of possibility.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I would have gone for a 1-year deal. I just don't like players hitting UFA the first year they're eligible.

That would be my gripe as well, what is the point to a two year deal here or for Name.

If the player does poorly it's an overpayment, if he is good he will cost a lot more to buy up those UFA years, so basically much like with Name they are sort of betting on the player being pretty much very average to what they were, but not bad.

I'm thinking they must be using this term, leaving them a UFA as soon as possible, for some reasoning outside of that and the only one I can come up with would be they think they will need cap space for the 2020-21 season or are planning on really selling the deadline prior using these players as rentals to other teams.

This, like with Name, leaves Vesey as a player that will not be under contract for what the likely expansion year is. Again I'm not sure I get their plan for that or if they are even thinking about it.

With those gripes aside, I don't really care that he got this deal, I don't think it really an egregious overpayment or an underpayment, I just don't understand the strategy.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

The guy who puts the puck in the net more often than guys you think are better finishers is indicative of your bias (something you often accuse others of displaying).

To add to the hilarity, criticizing a player for scoring from in front, a quality fans usually scream about not happening enough.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think vesey is a phenomenal finisher in a 10 foot radius around the net. He's also a very good skater and has good size with a decent bit of heaviness to his game. Literally everything else he's just atrocious at.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Problem was that Vesey was forced to be a grinder when he was really more of a scorer in college. Now that we maybe have less depth he might get more icetime on top 2 lines and PP. Also if Hayes could be taught to kill penalties, Vesey can as well.

Thats because his dangles only work against lesser competition.

The guy can't pass

Has no vision

His shot is nothing special

The only thing he is above average at is finding those garbage goals around the net (nothing to scoff at, its a necessary skill)

His best chance at sticking in the NHL is to become a grinder. He is not a small guy, he should be using his body more.

Maybe he can be taught to PK.

He should never EVER be on the power play.

A bottom 6 PKer who can chip in 15-20 garbage goals a year can be a valuable player. The problem is that there is this delusion that he can be more than that, and it is just not true.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The problem with Vesey has always been, and will always be, that people have unrealistic expectations of him because of his free agency drama. Fans were celebrating as if we just won the Stanley Cup when he signed with us. Even celebrities like Sarandon and Neeson chimed in. He's just not that good. A 4th liner who can play on the 3rd line on a bottom-5 team. If it is only about goals, we could have given Pirri 2m AAV as well.

My only real issue is that his contract expires for his first UFA season.

even that is debatable....we are gonna be a bottom 5-10 team and the only way he cracks our top 9 is if guys are traded away or we decided that both chytil and anderson should start the year in hartford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad