Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Touched on it in the roster thread, but the Rangers are in a no win situation with Vesey. Either bridge him and let him hit UFA and he prices himself out, or sign him long term and have him not be worth the contract. The Rangers did the former. We'll see.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Touched on it in the roster thread, but the Rangers are in a no win situation with Vesey. Either bridge him and let him hit UFA and he prices himself out, or sign him long term and have him not be worth the contract. The Rangers did the former. We'll see.

Vesey might have a nice couple of years (or not) but ultimately he's looking like a replaceable piece and not someone you lose sleep over if he goes UFA

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is the right deal for this kid. He’s got a lot to prove still. Like the ability to complete a pass at the nhl level.

But I do want to see him under a new coach.

Complete a pass, play defense, and use his strength more effectively.

Pretty much everything besides skating and his outside-inside rushes needs work.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I don’t hate Vesey, it’s a slight overpayment and definitely not a bargain. Sometimes I feel like management owes him because he choose to sign here. Best case he puts up some goals and we can flip hip at a future trade deadline. I just don’t like the small overpayments on all these recent deals, they set a precedent longterm.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
When you're an RFA you sign deals against other comparables. I mean sometimes you're the guy who sets the new precedent, but usually you're right in line with guys who are similar to you. And when we talk about "similar," it means similar in terms of where they're at contractually and similar in terms of production--with production being goals and assists, primarily. Points are what drives value.

Vesey has shown himself to be, basically, a 15-goal, 30-point guy. He's going to be compared to those guys in RFA negotiations or in arbitration. So he's going to get money that's comparable to those players. I really doubt that things like possession metrics come into play to any serious degree. Maybe he got a bit more and is the new precedent for guys like him.

He has a lot of holes in his game. Again though, the money is almost always based on production. Is his deal fair? Seems a little high to me but not outrageously so. I don't know his comps. It's such a small portion of the cap the next two years, and I feel like there's still some upside here, so I'm okay with it.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
In my opinion this is a bit too much in terms of cap hit but I would imagine arbitration would have given him a similar maybe even slightly higher deal. I hope we trade him at some point before he hits UFA at the end of this deal.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Agreed.New system,new coach...everyone starts with a clean slate in my eyes.

Let's see what type of player he evolves into under Quinn. Maybe stop trying to be a slick dangle guy and start being a below the dots guy who pots in rebounds and screens. He was particularly effective around the left goal post.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Vesey is going to be one of those guys like Lee Stempniak or Thomas Vanek (albeit, not as good) that gets traded like every trade deadline. He is decent enough to be a depth scorer but not good enough to stick around long enough on any one team.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

darko

Feb 16, 2009
vesey does nothing for me. he's bland.

and his name needs something. maybe its because it isnt euro sounding enough and his game is fairly blah. together, thats the kiss of death.

veseyev is better. guaranteed, he changes his name and his production goes through the roof

if he doesnt, its just an ok deal

Veseyev is not bad but I prefer Veseyevich.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am not a Vesey fan, but this is a decent contract and I think he gets traded before his contract is up.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, I pretty much agree with the sentiments echoed here. No interest in extending a guy like Vesey long term who, to me, is an extremely replaceable player. Maybe he shows more under Quinn but I'm not a fan and while there is room for improvement, I think given his age and skill set we're at a point where it's pretty much you get what you see with him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I always felt like av showed wwwaaayyyyy too much confidence in him.
Maybe on the PP later in the season, but not in his overall ice time. I believe he got the 3rd fewest minutes a game out of all players who played over 20 games.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Not a big fan of Vesey because it seems like all the things he's lacking are things that are tough to teach(hockey IQ ect). That said, in a bottom 6 role, it makes sense to see how he develops for 2 more years. Contract doesn't hurt the team since we're still in a rebuild.

Reactions: haveandare

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I am not a Vesey fan, but this is a decent contract and I think he gets traded before his contract is up.

I'm neither a fan nor a Vesey hater, but I agree that the odds are he is moved in the next year or two.

And I couldn't care less about his contract or pretty much any other 1 to 2 year contract we give out this summer. I get that people like to complain about everything, but who really cares if a guy is overpaid on a short contract when the team is nowhere near the cap? It's irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad