Confirmed with Link: [NYR] Jimmy Vesey re-signs (2 years, $2.275M AAV)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I dont have a problem with it. Jimmy will cash out as a UFA if he has two decent seasons. I think this staff might get more consistency out of him.

He's on the the roster, can be traded, is a safe bet for a 15 goal outing. Is he a guy you win with?

No. Not with that level of effort, and not being able to play roles. But hes got value.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I dont have a problem with it. Jimmy will cash out as a UFA if he has two decent seasons. I think this staff might get more consistency out of him.

He's on the the roster, can be traded, is a safe bet for a 15 goal outing. Is he a guy you win with?

No. Not with that level of effort, and not being able to play roles. But hes got value.
Never really thought his level of effort was anything to be questioned. He seems to try more than most out there every shift. Just not successful a lot of the time.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
giphy.gif

jk I don't blame you.
Honestly while I appreciate all the work u guys do and I'm interested in the topic..the truth is..the thread is long, at times boring, and too much of a time suck on the limited surfing time I get as it is.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
He’s 25. This is him in his prime. He’s not getting better.
This is my reply to your post in the advanced stat thread. Just trying to not de-rail that thread

Great I thought they should have traded him too, but they didn't.

Lets say he would have been replaced by a guy making $925k a year for arguments sake (max ELC)

That is a savings of 1.35M/year on the cap for 2 years

Thats a whopping 1.7% of the salary cap this year.

The cap will most likely go up more than 1.7% next year.

If 1.7% of the cap for 2 years (less the 2nd year) is what you are getting all worked up about, then I'd hate to see your reaction if a real problem comes along.

I don't think very highly of Jimmy Vesey either, But this deal is not hurting the team

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
This is my reply to your post in the advanced stat thread. Just trying to not de-rail that thread

Lets say he would have been replaced by a guy making $925k a year for arguments sake (max ELC)

If 1.7% of the cap for 2 years (less the 2nd year) is what you are getting all worked up about, then I'd hate to see your reaction if a real problem comes along.

I don't think very highly of Jimmy Vesey either, But this deal is not hurting the team
That 1.3M could be very important to landing Panarin.

You just don’t pay this much for 4th liners.

Reactions: Doctor King Schultz

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Yeah I agree with all this...I just hope they can build up his value a bit and move him. I just don't see him being a long term piece here..and frankly if we were an on the cusp team I wouldn't see him as a short term piece.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
He'll be a UFA, but this deal seems very good considering his production. A new coach could make all the difference. If he shines and wants big bucks, then trade for assets. Boom.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Remember when everyone got hives over giving McDonagh 7.5 and me and some other guy (not naming names) said Miller and Vesey would get that? /KermitSippingCyanide.gif

At least Miller didn't get it here.

Not even close to relative to eachother... McDonagh $7M for EIGHT YEARS, Miller got $5.25M for FIVE YEARS. The former is on a downswing, and the latter is a spotty 50 point player that the FO clearly moved on from

Vesey gets $2M for TWO years and you find something to bitch about it? Why would you want to tie up 8 more years of $7M in McDonagh especially when he already looks like garbage?

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Off season is rough, man. Everybody is bored as hell and need something to argue about. So much nonsense about a 2 year nothing contract in a rebuild season. He either gets it over these two seasons, or he doesn't. If he finds his NHL groove as a consistent player, he would develop trade value for that TDL (unless NY is surprisingly competing or PO spot). If not, he finishes his nothing contract and goes on looking for someone that will give him a job.

Vesey still has room to grow. Outside of shitty passing, he's got the core skills and IQ and now has 2 transition seasons under his belt. It's time to show consistency in his game by using those tools and add value to the club or he can kick rocks in 2 seasons. In compete seasons the pressure is on the star type players to perform, but in these types of seasons it's these mid level guys that are on the hot seat to perform with a bunch of kids holding the flame.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not even close to relative to eachother... McDonagh $7M for EIGHT YEARS, Miller got $5.25M for FIVE YEARS. The former is on a downswing, and the latter is a spotty 50 point player that the FO clearly moved on from

Vesey gets $2M for TWO years and you find something to ***** about it? Why would you want to tie up 8 more years of $7M in McDonagh especially when he already looks like garbage?
I didn't say anything about tying up money in McDonagh.

Simply pointing out that posters were laughed at and they we're exactly right.

Reactions: silverfish

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Nice, good for him, he can be set for life if he’s smart with his money. Always nice for the young guys when they get that first 7 figure contract. Best of luck and I hope it’s seen as a bargain with a new coach at the end of this season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you look at the comparable players for Vesey, here's who you get:

Jimmy Vesey, $2.275M AAV--27, 28 points at signing signed in 18
Tobias Rieder, $2.25M AAV--21, 37 points at signing, signed in 16
Joonas Donskoi, $1.9M AAV--36, 17 points at signing, signed in 17
Jordan Martinook, $1.8M AAV--24, 25 points at signing, signed in 17
Michael Ferland, $1.75M AAV--18, 25 points at signing, signed in 17
Riley Sheahan, $2.1M AAV--26, 35 points at signing, signed in 16
Oscar Lindberg, $1.7M AAV--28, 20 points at signing, signed in 17
Ryan Dzingel, $1.8M AAV--9 (partial), 32 points at signing, signed in 17

So, you can look at that list, and see his deal is right in line with the other deals. Account for the fact that deal sizes increase every year as the cap increases--Vesey's deal has a CH% of 2.86%, whereas Rieder's is at 3.05% because there's more cap space now, for example--and also that of the guys on the list, only Martinook, Ferland, and Dzingel both had arbitration rights and filed for arbitration which generally increases the value of the contract (Vesey filed). Vesey lines right up with his comparables. These are only a handful and you can go here and tweak whatever you want to find even more comparable players.

You can look at the list and say "most of those guys are way better" if you want. Maybe it's true. But that's largely subjective. RFA deals are mostly objective and they heavily weigh things like points. You're a 30-point guy, we're going to pay you like other 30-point guys at similar contract stages. It's straightforward.

So, if you didn't want to even re-sign Vesey because he's awful, that's fine. I would think that's wasting a potential asset, but okay. But this idea that he's making "X million dollars more than he should" isn't really grounded in reality. We can say, yeah, he only "deserves" $1M or something. But the reality is he "deserves" what the market establishes a player of his productivity is worth. And that's how he ends up at that number. It's not magic or just pulling numbers out of a hat. It's all based on the precedent for comparable players.

And just in case anyone missed the embedded link above and wants to check out other comps for Vesey (I just listed the guys >90% in similarity according to default data on Capfriendly), here, again, is the link: CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad