Confirmed with Link: NYR have named David Oliver and Greg Brown as assistant coaches

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Reports from across the college hockey community are that Greg Brown is a great hire for the Rangers. Highly respected for his abilities and his gameplanning, and work he puts in for his young defensemen.

I don't have a clue about Oliver.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Ola

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not to be too cynical, but are they going to play games or will they just be developing players? Yes that's tongue in cheek and playing games is part of the development. But it looks like they've completely gone to the extreme and aren't concerned about actually winning games.

This team will be unwatchable this year, but if we get Hughes it will all be worth it

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This team will be unwatchable this year, but if we get Hughes it will all be worth it

Team has been unwatchable the past two years. Other than some brief stretches where they got things to click, it's mostly been watching them get the crap kicked out of them in their own end, give up a bunch of odd man rushes, and their offense consist of trying to create something off the rush but usually fail because they always slow down once they enter the zone and no one crashes the net to help collapse the defense.

I don't expect them to win a lot next year, especially with that defense, but it should be fun to watch some young players

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like these hires a lot more than Sacco and Ruff which I feared would be the outcome. Not because I really know much about Sacco, but it would just stink ‘we didn’t evaluate things, just picked a convinient option’.

It’s obvious that we have done a search and picked young and upcoming guys that we like. This work is so much about energy, putting in the hours. These guys should have a ton of it. They will bring new ideas and will not be locked in to what worked yesterday.

I know Greg Brown since he played in Sweden. He was very liked at the time. Very smart PMD. Should be great for our Ds.

Oliver have been around a lot, different roles, should know what he is doing

Ruff should be of great help for these guys too. Been around so long, can show them the ropes. I am excited for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: gummitarzan

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are rebuilding. Management hired a coaching staff to develop players. Dolan said the next coach had to be a developmental coach. Gorton hired Quinn. They interviewed Montgomery. Did they interview anyone else? They didn't hire a veteran retread coach. Quinn has ties to Brown and Oliver. All three of them have developed young players. Management signed off on those choices. Ruff was retained. Scott Arniel knew Ruff from Buffalo. They said Arniel recommended Ruff to AV. Ruff was Drury's coach in Buffalo. They like Ruff to a point. They didn't fire AV during the season and make Ruff the head coach. They didn't fire him when AV was fired. They didn't hire Ruff instead of Quinn. Gorton has talked about building a new core group of Rangers. That's the plan.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I think of Darin Olver when I see the name David Oliver. Hopefully the latter works out better than the former. Although like Hasselhoff, Olver is huge in Germany.

Same thought. FWIW, Darin Olver's tenure with the Berlin Polar Bears was quite impressive. That's a pretty good quality of life...

On a more significant note, lets hope David Oliver isn't an Arniel imitation. We need to do better behind the bench...and I'm glad Sacco isn't coming on. No concrete reason. I just think these two (Brown/Oliver) will have plenty to prove, no retread NHL assistants...Greg Brown sounds legit, the defenseman/special teams focus is great. Both coaches have strong international experience, focus in player development. Bingo.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I pray so...hated the ruff choice and he did nothing this last year to make me change my mind. Ruff anywhere other than the defense is fine for me.
Ruff was mostly brought in as a request by AV - kind of a last kick at the can of giving him some of his requests to see what he can do with a last effort... failed miserably.

Ruff said all the right things in his end of season interviews, wanted to be a team guy, and knew that he wasn't much for head coaching around the NHL any longer unless he wanted to jump around - no security. He has a good amount of fairly valuable connections throughout the NHL, Gorton and the Rangers Front Office values that. Furthermore, he can provide advice [when asked for] to Quinn on handling various aspects of Head Coaching in the NHL as it comes up.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Ruff was mostly brought in as a request by AV - kind of a last kick at the can of giving him some of his requests to see what he can do with a last effort... failed miserably.

Ruff said all the right things in his end of season interviews, wanted to be a team guy, and knew that he wasn't much for head coaching around the NHL any longer unless he wanted to jump around - no security. He has a good amount of fairly valuable connections throughout the NHL, Gorton and the Rangers Front Office values that. Furthermore, he can provide advice [when asked for] to Quinn on handling various aspects of Head Coaching in the NHL as it comes up.

I think that's right.. Not so different from John Muckler. Heck, they both spent quite a bit of time in Buffalo. Strong parallel between the two.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Not only will the Blueshirts go into 2018-19 with a neophyte NHL head man in David Quinn, but they also will have a pair of assistants in David Oliver and Greg Brown (joining holdover Lindy Ruff) who never have coached at the NHL level in any capacity.

“It was important for me to have people I could trust, have confidence in and have had relationships with, but it’s not like I just hired a couple of buddies,” Quinn told The Post on Tuesday. “In David and Greg, we have two guys who are extremely well-respected throughout the hockey world, even if they don’t have that kind of NHL experience. They’re going to be major factors in helping us become the team we want to be and can be.

“Maybe experience would have become more of a consideration without Lindy. That’s obviously one of the assets he brings to our group.”

The plan calls for Oliver and Ruff to accompany Quinn behind the bench while Brown will be upstairs. Brown and Ruff will work with the defense. Ruff, who along with goaltending coach Benoit Allaire survived the purge that cost Vigneault and assistants Scott Arniel and Darryl Williams their jobs, will be responsible for the penalty kill, while Oliver and Brown will share responsibility for the power play.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’m already looking forward to the official tweet from the teams account saying they fired Ruff’s crusty ass

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Brown in the air is actually a good thing because he's a tactics guy as well as a defense coach.

So him and Ruff co-coaching the defense and then splitting them like this seems like I fine idea to me. Ruff/Brown will share the defense, and then Ruff can be the veteran voice on the bench while Brown can work on tactics from above.

It's really not a tire fire.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Am I the only one that am fine with Ruff on the bench this season? The PK improved under him after last season, and Quinn's defensive systems at BU didn't involve helter-skeleter bedlam chasing people all over the defensive zone. If I had to guess, I would've thought Ruff would be given a shot to coach the offense, but it's not really a big deal.

Sounds like we're focusing on building our system from the defensive zone out. I can live with that after these last few seasons.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
As long as Ruff has absolutely nothing to do with player deployment and line combinations I'm fine with him on the bench.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm ok with Lindy being on the bench. I'm sure he knows that his main role will be to help assist the new coaches at the NHL level. He seemed to know his role very well last season and knew it was AVs show and he'll do the same with these guys.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Most of the coaching for these young guys will happen between games.

That said, I would have preferred Ruff to not be on the bench.
It's good that he can hear what they are saying to the players on the bench and in the locker room. They are learning just like the players so it's good to have a little bit of mentoring going with the coaching staff too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00