Confirmed with Link: NYR have named David Oliver and Greg Brown as assistant coaches

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
. It’s not only Chicago, Babcocks Toronto, Tampa and co, more and more teams is going in that direction.

None of those teams play the same style D as the Rangers. Just because they have some elements of it don't mean they play the entire same way.

I don't think AV particularly held back any of these teams to a significant degree. I think the last two years they wouldn't have been particularly better under a different coach in many ways, but AV's systems were making for unwatchable hockey at this point and the players couldn't execute what he envisioned.

I think AV did pretty good the first few years but a combination of roster change and some complacency and AV not adjusting to the players he had led to a downward slide. I think that MOST people don't believe the Rangers were so talented that bad coaching was their downfall so I wouldn't start all your arguments based on the idea that you're pushing back against an opinion held by a significant number of people.

well they have said that everyone except hank is on the table...and imo the only reason why that caveat exists is because hank won't waive his NMC so he can't be moved.

Well, and they asked Lundqvist if he wanted a trade since they were rebuilding and he said no that he wanted to stay. I think the NMC does play into it but they're also respecting the desires of a guy who has been the best player this franchise has had since Leetch

Reactions: TheTakedown

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This last part is why Gorton has to be open for business on everyone. Not looking for trades, but if someone wants one of those guys, particularly the first three, see if you cam negotiate that into something that will have an impact when those kids are going to be having an impact.

I'm not in a super hurry to get rid of any of those guys though. I'm not even in a super hurry to get rid of Zuccarello.....and by that I mean I wouldn't undersell on any of them. We need to make good trades--not to rush players out or take the first half ass deal that comes along that kind of looks maybe okay.

As an example I think that the Rangers did fine with Nash--they took back one bad contract and one somewhat problematic RFA deal that could be flipped if necessary. They picked up a 1st and a really good prospect in Lindgren.

IMO--the McDonagh, Miller thing was a bit rushed. The Rangers targeted Hajek and Howden for sure and they got a late 1st and maybe another late 1st and Namestnikov but Yzerman played it down to the last moment for a reason and held firm IMO on not giving up something--pretty much putting Gorton in a spot of 'yeah, I'm trying to rebuild, retool, change leadership etc. etc. but it's not going to get done if I don't pull the trigger now.' As well Yzerman played other teams by not giving them a chance to respond with pretty much the last minute deal. Gorton squirmed because he was between a rock and a hard place and night was falling. Yzerman is pretty cagy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not in a super hurry to get rid of any of those guys though. I'm not even in a super hurry to get rid of Zuccarello.....and by that I mean I wouldn't undersell on any of them. We need to make good trades--not to rush players out or take the first half ass deal that comes along that kind of looks maybe okay.

Agreed. I don't understand the rush to trade everyone right now so the Rangers can run out a team of rookies and half assed vets (that people then expect to be able to trade for legitimate assets at the trade deadline).

Someone like Hayes might even be easier to trade once he's under contract. But that said, I feel like the Rangers probably do better by holding on to him for another year or two as the rest of the team develops as well.

Reactions: TheTakedown

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agreed. I don't understand the rush to trade everyone right now so the Rangers can run out a team of rookies and half assed vets (that people then expect to be able to trade for legitimate assets at the trade deadline).

Someone like Hayes might even be easier to trade once he's under contract. But that said, I feel like the Rangers probably do better by holding on to him for another year or two as the rest of the team develops as well.

For now some of the guys sticking around are going to be the new leadership group. They might not be here all that long but still someone's got to hold the door open for the new guys whenever they are ready to come through the door.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
None of those teams play the same style D as the Rangers. Just because they have some elements of it don't mean they play the entire same way.

I don't think AV particularly held back any of these teams to a significant degree. I think the last two years they wouldn't have been particularly better under a different coach in many ways, but AV's systems were making for unwatchable hockey at this point and the players couldn't execute what he envisioned.

I think AV did pretty good the first few years but a combination of roster change and some complacency and AV not adjusting to the players he had led to a downward slide. I think that MOST people don't believe the Rangers were so talented that bad coaching was their downfall so I wouldn't start all your arguments based on the idea that you're pushing back against an opinion held by a significant number of people.

Well, and they asked Lundqvist if he wanted a trade since they were rebuilding and he said no that he wanted to stay. I think the NMC does play into it but they're also respecting the desires of a guy who has been the best player this franchise has had since Leetch

They definitely do, I am not sure where this notion is coming from??

There are so many random comments, like ‘we played man-man AND overload’, like which team in hockey doesn’t overload?

I am giving up this discussion because the narrative is there and everyone have made up their mind, and I don’t care and it doesn’t matter, but lol it’s just not true that we were unique in any sense really.

We tried to be a better team than we were, aimed higher, but it’s just nonsense that we had some league unique gameplan that fell apart.u

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
For now some of the guys sticking around are going to be the new leadership group. They might not be here all that long but still someone's got to hold the door open for the new guys whenever they are ready to come through the door.

It's the rookies who are supposed to open the door for the veterans, last to board the plane, last to use the gym. It's the first thing they'll learn ;)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
IMO--the McDonagh, Miller thing was a bit rushed. The Rangers targeted Hajek and Howden for sure and they got a late 1st and maybe another late 1st and Namestnikov but Yzerman played it down to the last moment for a reason and held firm IMO on not giving up something--pretty much putting Gorton in a spot of 'yeah, I'm trying to rebuild, retool, change leadership etc. etc. but it's not going to get done if I don't pull the trigger now.' As well Yzerman played other teams by not giving them a chance to respond with pretty much the last minute deal. Gorton squirmed because he was between a rock and a hard place and night was falling. Yzerman is pretty cagy.
I think you’re giving Yzerman too much credit and Gorton too little credit here. Yzerman didn’t like the price Gorton set over a month earlier, Yzerman moved on and tried to trade for Karlsson and couldn’t get that move done and came back last minute to do the trade

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

You don’t understand the rush because the rush doesn’t exist. That’s a misinterpretation of what people are advocating. Very few are advocating trading every vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad