Confirmed with Link: NYR have named David Oliver and Greg Brown as assistant coaches

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Brown is very, very highly regarded. Has handed the D at not only BC but for the US at the WJCs.

I know nothing of Oliver. A quick google search tells me that he was the director of player development with the Avs for the last few years. They've gone full bore on getting the developmental coaches in here.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Brown was one of the top choices to be York's successor at BC

Oliver has been in the player development the last couple years for Colorado.

Fine with both, Ruff probably in the press box

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Player development.

David Oliver recently finished his 11th season with the Colorado Avalanche organization and his fourth as the club's Director of Player Development. He was hired to his role on July 1, 2014.

Prior to current role, Oliver spent three seasons as Director of AHL Operations for the Lake Erie Monsters, Colorado's American Hockey League affiliate at the time.

Oliver, 47, works with Avalanche Assistant General Manager Craig Billington in overseeing the development of all of the franchise's prospects in the professional, junior and college ranks in both North America and Europe.

Coaches and Staff

Quinn,Brown and Oliver. All of them have a strong background developing young players.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know, if the guy's role was to handle player development, I think what he knows is just as important as who he knows in this situation.

It's an outside the box hire, to say the least.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I don't know. Call me old school but I'd rather have at least one guy on the bench who has actually coached in the NHL before. Obviously I don't know what their plan with Ruff is now at this point, but I doubt they're going with four guys on the bench.

I'm really going to hate everything about this season.

You have that, Quinn was on the bench in the NHL before....just not as the head coach.

Reactions: QJL

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't know. Call me old school but I'd rather have at least one guy on the bench who has actually (head) coached in the NHL before. Obviously I don't know what their plan with Ruff is now at this point, but I doubt they're going with four guys on the bench.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know. Call me old school but I'd rather have at least one guy on the bench who has actually (head) coached in the NHL before. Obviously I don't know what their plan with Ruff is now at this point, but I doubt they're going with four guys on the bench.

You may, but thats your problem really.

These would be head scratching hires if they were made for this team 5 years ago. It may fail miserably, but they're committed to doing this rebuild thing which is refreshing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Brown's brother Doug has extensive NHL experience and also experience with Team USA. His brother-in-law is also John Mara. We discussed some of this in another thread a few days ago when this was first leaked.

The Oliver thing is news to me. I don't remember him here, even though it was brief. I like the sound of his background.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sigh, I’ll go back on my @silverfish stanning bullshit:

He’s right and we should be a tad skeptical about the idea of having a totally green coaching staff. I’m waiting to see what Ruff’s role will be before elaborating more on this topic.

I’ll at least give credit to the Rangers for trying something different.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not to be too cynical, but are they going to play games or will they just be developing players? Yes that's tongue in cheek and playing games is part of the development. But it looks like they've completely gone to the extreme and aren't concerned about actually winning games.

Reactions: NCRanger

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not to be too cynical, but are they going to play games or will they just be developing players? Yes that's tongue in cheek and playing games is part of the development. But it looks like they've completely gone to the extreme and aren't concerned about actually winning games.
I see them going hand and hand.

If you're not developing players properly then you arent going to win, and if you aren't winning then you havent developed the players properly.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Well one thing eventually leads to the other.

Don't forget all the practice time that takes place between games.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Sigh, I’ll go back on my @silverfish stanning bull****:

He’s right and we should be a tad skeptical about the idea of having a totally green coaching staff. I’m waiting to see what Ruff’s role will be before elaborating more on this topic.

I’ll at least give credit to the Rangers for trying something different.

He's not right.

From the get go the FO has stressed player development as requirements A-Z for the coaching staff. They've covered that with these hires.

I get being upset that this team doesn't look like they'll be at all interested in winning games next year, but they already told you this. If you expected them to wake up and be like "rebuild off LOL!" then the fault lies with you (not you, I know you've been on board) for not paying attention.

We should be glad that they're trying different. It may not work, but what they were doing before didn't work either. They've chosen a path and are sticking to it, which is what most, if not all of us have wanted them to do.

To SF's credit, we'd be seeing the exact same thing from the other side had they gone in the direction that he wanted them to go in. I'd probably be in that group.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Brown as defense/PK, Ruff as offense, Oliver as eyes in the sky?

The only thing I would probably bet on would be Brown, since that is his forte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad