Confirmed with Link: NYR have named David Oliver and Greg Brown as assistant coaches

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
As long as Ruff has absolutely nothing to do with player deployment and line combinations I'm fine with him on the bench.
As long as Ruff has absolutely nothing to do with coaching, he can stand there.

Agreed

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think of Darin Olver when I see the name David Oliver. Hopefully the latter works out better than the former. Although like Hasselhoff, Olver is huge in Germany.

Came here to post this.

Whenever I see posters flipping out at a draft selection I think of Bluenote, Stepan and Olver.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not in love with it but if the past 3 years under Ulf, Beuk, and Ruff are any indication, it matters much more who the head coach is and what their system is than the assistant tasked with deploying and instilling it.

This. I'm not sure why people keep saying "omg Ruff can't coach defense" when the only thing they've seen of Ruff's "Defense coaching" was under the shit show that is AV "defensive system"... The same system that had similar results under THREE different Defensive coaches

Reactions: RGY

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
obviously it depends on which young players are on the team...i feel that for this season and this staff what happens between games is more important than what happens during the games. doesn't matter if ruff is on the bench telling the dmen to change if brown is working with pionk, ada, gilmour etc in practice

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

upload_2018-7-18_9-59-31.png

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I"m actually pretty interested to see how this whole coaching staff and rebuild thing goes. I know we all talked about "you have to have a developmental coach and then a veteran coach!" but I kind of wonder if this goes well and the Rangers hit on their draft picks, 3 years from now they're contributing in big ways and the Rangers have talent...maybe the coaching staff has also developed. Can they grow with these players and become a contender?
Exactly how I view this...

Just like the players, this org has turned an eye towards the future. They want a fresh approach. Also like the players you can’t have a bunch of rookie coaches so Ruff stays on but the reigns have been handed over.

They too, like rookie players, will make their share of mistakes no doubt but the org will deal with the growing pains in hopes that 3 years from now they’re poised to stomp other teams.

As others have said it is, to say the least, refreshing.

Reactions: jas

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Seems like a joke. Or he knows that Zucc is going to be traded soon so why waste time

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Our PP with Zibanejad Shattenkirk buchnevich and kreider on it was a beast. Not sure what we’d change there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Our PP with Zibanejad Shattenkirk buchnevich and kreider on it was a beast. Not sure what we’d change there.
I mean, it's more than just personnel. Tactically, it could improve.

Also, while the PP1 was great, PP2 was...uh...not.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
In goals against, we were in the bottom 1/3 last season (10 goals against worse than the 20th worst team in Carolina, 30 goals against better than NYI). 5th worst record.

How good should defense have been?
Istid.png

I think we could have done better if we collapsed and trapped. But what would have been the point? Sometimes people act like we would have been a contender last season if our play just had not imploded. With the injuries we had and the sell-off, our roster downright stinked.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
In goals against, we were in the bottom 1/3 last season (10 goals against worse than the 20th worst team in Carolina, 30 goals against better than NYI). 5th worst record.

How good should defense have been?
View attachment 130683

I think we could have done better if we collapsed and trapped. But what would have been the point? Sometimes people act like we would have been a contender last season if our play just had not imploded. With the injuries we had and the sell-off, our roster downright stinked.
The rangers system was abysmal since basically av got here. They've hemorrahaged scoring chances at a near historic level of awfulness in that time. Even the best defensive defenseman in the world is going to screw up with the plethora of switches, instantaneous read and reacts and overload protects that they have to deal with.

I don't think we have a historically be dcorps. I think we had a historically bad defensive scheme.

Do I think we'll be good defensively? No.

Do I think we'll be average defensively? I can certainly see that as a possivility...but even then I don't see us being near as awful in the high danger chances against. And with Henrik that alone should keep us from being a bottom 5 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->