Confirmed with Link: NYR have named David Oliver and Greg Brown as assistant coaches

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The whole coaching staff isn't green. Ruff is part of the coaching staff, he's one of the longest tenured coaches in the NHL. Even if he's not behind the bench, he'll be plenty able to help the other coaches prepare for the season and for each game.

Quinn also has some experience and Oliver has been working for a NHL franchise for over a decade, I'm sure he has some idea of what goes on around a NHL team.

Basically the people who think they know it all and are always right and if something deviates from that then they flip their ****.

NHL GM's, coaches, etc, all screw up and make mistakes no matter who they are or how good they are, but second guessing and complaining about everything that doesn't perfectly align with your armchair position is silly to me
If you think me saying that we should be a tad skeptical is equivalent to me flipping my shit or acting like an insufferable know-it-all, then that’s on you. I mentioned in my next post that I wrote it before they officially confirmed that Ruff was coming back as a part of Quinn’s staff, and I also posted how I’m excited about Brown coaching the D.

I mean I even say it in the post you quoteed that I’ll give them credit for trying something different.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If you think me saying that we should be a tad skeptical is equivalent to me flipping my **** or acting like an insufferable know-it-all, then that’s on you. I mentioned in my next post that I wrote it before they officially confirmed that Ruff was coming back as a part of Quinn’s staff, and I also posted how I’m excited about Brown coaching the D.

I mean I even say it in the post you quoteed that I’ll give them credit for trying something different.

That part wasn't a direct response to your post.

It was also probably harsher than it should be. I just find it tiring when it feels like we can't have a discussion about this team without people getting so upset that management made a decision that a poster didn't agree with and that posters opinion is SO MUCH BETTER than managements and then away we go.

Not specifically talking about a certain poster here, just expressing frustration. I'm not one to be all appeal to authority but I prefer to have discussions and not seemingly be all "well my decisions are better than the GMs decisions all the time god this is worse than Hitler!"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you think me saying that we should be a tad skeptical is equivalent to me flipping my **** or acting like an insufferable know-it-all, then that’s on you. I mentioned in my next post that I wrote it before they officially confirmed that Ruff was coming back as a part of Quinn’s staff, and I also posted how I’m excited about Brown coaching the D.

I don't wanna speak for Lev but its pretty clear he wasn't talking about you.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I just wanted to make the point that prior to our most recent coaching search, I've never heard the term "development coach" used the way it is. It's like implying that the guys we have, they're just development coaches, all they can do is develop players, but they're not "game coaches" or "winning coaches" or whatever. Like the guys can have a gift for developing players and also be good at other stuff, too.

Reactions: BklynTerp

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just wanted to make the point that prior to our most recent coaching search, I've never heard the term "development coach" used the way it is. It's like implying that the guys we have, they're just development coaches, all they can do is develop players, but they're not "game coaches" or "winning coaches" or whatever. Like the guys can have a gift for developing players and also be good at other stuff, too.

I remember people saying Renney was a development coach, Torts was the intermediate and AV was supposed to finish it off.

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I remember people saying Renney was a development coach, Torts was the intermediate and AV was supposed to finish it off.
Yeah and I've already seen people claiming that when we're ready to win the Cup, it will be the next coach, and not Quinn. I don't understand the thinking.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah and I've already seen people claiming that when we're ready to win the Cup, it will be the next coach, and not Quinn. I don't understand the thinking.

I think part of it is that it's fairly rare for a coach to stick with a team for 5+ years and when you're rebuilding sometimes it takes awhile and by the time you get to that point, maybe management feels it's time for a change or there's a feeling that "ok you coached these young players through their growing pains but you're not coaching the now more veteran team in a way that they need in order to win"

Whether it's true or not, ehhh

Renney wasn't a developmental coach IMO, he mostly leaned on veterans and brought along some young players during that time. I don't think any of the Torts and AV hirings were meant as part of a progression of coaches towards someone who was supposed to win the cup, just your usual churn of coaches as one stops working for one reason or another

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I think firing a coach in sports is ridiculous, but that's just me. In 90% of the cases it doesn't solve anything.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
what happened to our eyes and bodies on the side coaches from AV tenure?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Eh I don't really look at it that way.

They pulled 2 guys out of the NCAA which is a development league and another guy who was a director of player development, those are 3 guys who basically were in charge of getting people ready for the pros.

That doesn't mean that they aren't or can't be good coaches. It's just clear that being proficient in that one area was a focal point for the FO.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Dont know much bout either but if this means Ruff isnt coaching or is moved to a “front office role” its fine by me

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
The correct response to this news is "let's see what happens." Other than knowing these guys personally, I'm not sure how or why anyone can feel differently at this point.

I get that there's some skepticism about having rookie coaches on the bench, but management is playing with house money this year and they know it. Best case, the team comes out with a chip on their shoulder, fueled the desire to prove everyone wrong and by a veteran goalie that wants to win, and they push for one of the final playoff spots. Worst case, they fail terribly, trade off some more pieces, and end up with a top 5 pick. Both scenarios are equally as likely right now and, either way, management wins.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Maybe there's coaching in Ruff's past that is suspect whether it's BUF or DAL but it's hard to cast judgement on his tenure in NY being the 3rd man on AV's coaching stuff running AV's systems. Hogwarts had more stability in the professor of dark arts position than we did with AV's defense coach.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Brown as defense/PK, Ruff as offense, Oliver as eyes in the sky?

The only thing I would probably bet on would be Brown, since that is his forte.

I'd say Brown on D, Oliver on O and Ruff in the sky box. Last year, Ruff did both video analysis and D coaching. Not sure where Williams was in that regard....

Reactions: TheTakedown

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
we hire old coaches and the complaint is they are retreads. hire young coaches and the complaint is they are too green...i'll pretend to be surprised
This can’t be liked enough, im excited about having a young coaching staff with an emphasis on development and building towards being competitive in a few years, some people around here would find a way to complain if they won the f***ing lottery.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Maybe there's coaching in Ruff's past that is suspect whether it's BUF or DAL but it's hard to cast judgement on his tenure in NY being the 3rd man on AV's coaching stuff running AV's systems. Hogwarts had more stability in the professor of dark arts position than we did with AV's defense coach.
Remus Lupin 4 Rangers d coach....oh wait...he's dead
..dammit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad