Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
People are still acting like Dolan destroyed the Rangers when we don't actually know why Gorton and Davidson were fired and the team's outlook is basically the same as it was before.

I hope the Blue Jackets hire Quinn just to prove you wrong.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
People are still acting like Dolan destroyed the Rangers when we don't actually know why Gorton and Davidson were fired and the team's outlook is basically the same as it was before.

I hope the Blue Jackets hire Quinn just to prove you wrong.

considering Dolan’s history with the Knicks, how can he be trusted? Finally they look competent yet they were over .500 approx twice over 20 years. Would think everybody would be at least a little nervous.

Reactions: fm and nsvoyageurs

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This is all honestly so embarrassing. what a disgrace dolan is

the only saving grave to this is that Drury is now in charge and he was brought up in the organization and has been part of this rebuild and it's not like Dolan fired everyone and hired Messier to run the show

+1 - i hope Drury makes smart decisions. Yeah, i would be very nervous with Messier in charge.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Thank you for clearing that up. Whether it was Dolan or Drury or both who granted the permission to Columbus they committed a major gaff unless as NYR94 previously stated that J.D. might not be joining Columbus until after the draft.

well, imo the bigger picture is the NHL. You have to do what’s right for the league. This isn’t the ultra secure NFL with billions pouring in regardless.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Maybe the Blue Jackets and Rangers would be doing better if they hired an actual qualified President and not a former announcer.

J.D. didn’t just leave the booth and, like almost every team, is an ex-player in the role of GM or President.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Gorton has two more years left on his Rangers contract. He can take his time before taking another GM job.

Montreal could open up if the Habs lose to Toronto. The Habs will look for a francophone as their next GM.

True but hold on, what if Toronto loses to Montreal? Omg, that city might riot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't see a lot of harm in allowing JD to go to Columbus and start work now. Yes, he will have a "playbook" on the Rangers, but ostensibly one of the reasons for his firing was that Dolan wanted something of a different playbook. He may have insight into the draft board, but is our draft board finished at this point? It's two months away so probably not, and where we're picking can totally change our strategy. As we've seen, Gordie has taken a step back to some degree, and there will likely be some different voices in the war room, or some of the same voices amplified a bit.

Even if JD did have some type of information that he could use to leverage against the Rangers and put them in a really difficult spot, I doubt that he would. He's the consummate "good guy" in the league and wouldn't go out there trying to f*** his friend and protégé Drury right when Drury's getting started.

Doesn't seem like JD leaving and starting work now is much of a threat in any way, IMO.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't disagree. I think they need a pack mentality. I don't think it exists on the current roster --- especially with Lindgren and Trouba out. It doesn't come naturally to them, and if they're going to survive, it better.

think that TDA thing hurt too? That, no Captain, so much youth and what could be perceived as a college coach? Finesse rolled in and out of a checking line?

It’s a bit of a mess imo.

Reactions: leetch99

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I don't see a lot of harm in allowing JD to go to Columbus and start work now. Yes, he will have a "playbook" on the Rangers, but ostensibly one of the reasons for his firing was that Dolan wanted something of a different playbook. He may have insight into the draft board, but is our draft board finished at this point?

imo, this is going to be a spotty draft board across the league. Coming off a Covid year who can trust any of these draft boards? Even Raty, who was perceived as #1, how far does he drop?

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It’s just amazing how people have switched their narrative from this team is overflowing with young talent, we’re the model franchise everyone dreams of, etc to its a dumpster fire of weaklings run by cowards and no one wants to play here.

The narrative bandwagon is grit which several of us referred to as “winning the boards” for over a year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
imo, this is going to be a spotty draft board across the league. Coming off a Covid year who can trust any of these draft boards? Even Raty, who was perceived as #1, how far does he drop?
Yeah seems like one of those years where just in the top half of the round, you'll have like 30 different boards. And I'd wager most are still changing. Seems unlikely anything is set in stone. And regardless of who we have where, depending on how the board breaks our strategy could change completely, and Drury's view of how that would look may be quite different than JD's.

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

1) Dolan has done nothing to show he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
2) The general reaction/incredulity from around the league speaks volume
3) How is the outlook basically the same as it was before?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
think that TDA thing hurt too? That, no Captain, so much youth and what could be perceived as a college coach? Finesse rolled in and out of a checking line?

It’s a bit of a mess imo.

Losing ADA's skill certainly hurt, but I also think there's a mentality that they have to develop and import as well.

I don't think the captain thing really makes us much of a difference in the locker rooms as fans think. I think leadership and personalities do, but I don't think we remedy that by naming someone a captain.

I think the roster itself was/is very much a work in progress. I'd be more concerned if it was presented as being close to the final product.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Losing ADA's skill certainly hurt, but I also think there's a mentality that they have to develop and import as well.

I don't think the captain thing really makes us much of a difference in the locker rooms as fans think. I think leadership and personalities do, but I don't think we remedy that by naming someone a captain.

I think the roster itself was/is very much a work in progress. I'd be more concerned if it was presented as being close to the final product.

typically i agree with the whole Captancy. With such a young team and questions who is the voice? Just anybody speaks up? This is an instance in which i have question. A veteran hasn't been annointed while the kids haven't earned it. Kinda no man's land is my perception

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
LOL if Quinn ends up in Columbus.

If that happens, I may start to believe the scuttlebutt that JD and JG fell on the sword for Quinn.

If that were the case, why was Quinn allowed to finish out the year with the door open to returning next year? If Dolan wanted Quinn gone, he would have been gone and Martin or Knoblauch could have finished out the year. It makes more sense to me that JD fell on the sword for Gorton.

Reactions: JCProdigy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad