Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As long as Sather is here, in any capacity, he is the guy who is making decisions here. I knew Gorton wouldn't last when they had the press conference and Gorton was saying at the start of the rebuild it wasnt about playoffs that year and Sather then said they intended to make playoffs.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
IDK. I don't think he got a raw deal. He signed up knowing that his owner was a loose cannon. Something happened or didn't happen and he got fired. The organization didn't trash him or anything. The were obligated to continue paying his big salary. They let him go to another team as soon as one came calling. And so on. Maybe we don't like the way it played out but Davidson is no worse for wear, IMO. He doesn't have a tarnished legacy, he didn't lose any money, he's still the well-respected guy he has been for a long time.

I'm not saying JD should've been fired, he shouldn't have been, but I think Jeff Gorton got a rawer deal than JD. Was he perfect, no (who is, as a GM?), and he'll get a new job in hockey in the not-too-distant future.

He got approval for what he wanted to do, but he helped put the plan in place that has led the Rangers to the upcoming path they're one. Yes, they got lucky with the draft lottery, but I think he still had a plan that would lead to (hopefully) a long term and sustainable contender.

I wish JD well with the Blue Jackets, the move by their fans seems to be held in high regard.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
sadly we have the worst owner in all sports who is not loyal at all

May I introduce Daniel Snyder? His franchise has been a shot show since he bought them with incompetent football management. Only within the last year have they looked like they are heading in the right direction. Plus, not to mention the toxic work environment in his organization that he has done little if anything to stop and reverse. Has addressed it only under enormous pressure from the outside, and that was only half hearted to appease the masses.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not saying JD should've been fired, he shouldn't have been, but I think Jeff Gorton got a rawer deal than JD. Was he perfect, no (who is, as a GM?), and he'll get a new job in hockey in the not-too-distant future.

He got approval for what he wanted to do, but he helped put the plan in place that has led the Rangers to the upcoming path they're one. Yes, they got lucky with the draft lottery, but I think he still had a plan that would lead to (hopefully) a long term and sustainable contender.

I wish JD well with the Blue Jackets, the move by their fans seems to be held in high regard.
Yeah, I mean, when I talk about "getting a raw deal" or not, what I'm saying is both guys walk away from this with all their esteem, their earned respect, their contracts, all that stuff intact. No one around the league thinks any less of these guys, and the reality is by hitting the open market they may end up with an even more desirable or lucrative position. Maybe Gorton lands expanded responsibilities or something. JD landed on his feet right back at a place he obviously loved. The two of them are fine--they've suffered basically no loss from this (outside, of course, the initial emotions over being kicked to the curb).

There's a chance that this works out really well for Davidson, Gorton, Drury, and others in the organizations involved. I mean I wouldn't have handled the situation this way, not at all, but there's a distinct possibility it could be a positive point for all. I mean Dolan could become Knicks Dolan and we could go back to the dark ages, that's a realistic possibility, too, but I don't feel like that's what's happening.

I wish JD, who I never really warmed to in his role, nothing but the best. Same for Gorton.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
And it's official.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. J.D. should not be allowed to speak with or even be in the same room with anyone from the Columbus organization. He is still under contract with the Rangers.
He has all knowledge of our upcoming draft lists and he also has intimate knowledge of the Rangers organization sentiment on their own players and where they fit in their current or future plans which would be used by other teams when it comes to trades.
Are the Rangers going to receive compensation or has Dolan and Drury not understanding this is a major problem?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Someone correct me if I am wrong. J.D. should not be allowed to speak with or even be in the same room with anyone from the Columbus organization. He is still under contract with the Rangers.
He has all knowledge of our upcoming draft lists and he also has intimate knowledge of the Rangers organization sentiment on their own players and where they fit in their current or future plans which would be used by other teams when it comes to trades.
Are the Rangers going to receive compensation or has Dolan and Drury not understanding this is a major problem?
Maybe there's a stipulation that while they can hire him now, he can't actually start working until after the draft. I think I read something similar about Gorton, that if a team wanted him they wouldn't really be able to use him until after the draft.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Maybe there's a stipulation that while they can hire him now, he can't actually start working until after the draft. I think I read something similar about Gorton, that if a team wanted him they wouldn't really be able to use him until after the draft.
I hope this is true. If so I wish J.D.in Columbus and Jeff Gorton where ever he lands all the happiness in the world.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

Who would actually enforce him to ensure he's not working, though?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he has agreed with Columbus, it's because he has been given permission to do so by the Rangers.

There won't be compensation, and in fact, we'll likely be paying out substantial money on the remainder of JD's contract unless Columbus unexpectedly offered him more than what he was making here.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If he has agreed with Columbus, it's because he has been given permission to do so by the Rangers.

There won't be compensation, and in fact, we'll likely be paying out substantial money on the remainder of JD's contract unless Columbus unexpectedly offered him more than what he was making here.
Thank you for clearing that up. Whether it was Dolan or Drury or both who granted the permission to Columbus they committed a major gaff unless as NYR94 previously stated that J.D. might not be joining Columbus until after the draft.

Last edited:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Dolan is an asshat, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

It's closer now than it was before this whole fiasco.

I had him as the best owner in hockey before all this...

I became a fan during the dark years, but after 2005 we have been pretty damn well-run.

I don't care what he did with the Knicks. Irrelevant to this

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It's closer now than it was before this whole fiasco.

I had him as the best owner in hockey before all this...

I became a fan during the dark years, but after 2005 we have been pretty damn well-run.

I don't care what he did with the Knicks. Irrelevant to this

Exactly. Like are you kidding Dolan has foot the bill with no questions asked for UFA's and buyouts and everything in between. Pretty much just handed Sather and then Gorton a blank check and stayed far away as possible. I used to joke "thank God Dolan doesn't even know he owns the Rangers". The last time before this he interfered or even showed his face was when Richards was signed and then a few months later when he crashed a Torts post game press conference to proclaim "The Cup is coming here soon" and then Torts wanted to wring his neck "I got my owner guaranteeing a Cup and we got practice tomorrow at 10 am".

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is all honestly so embarrassing. what a disgrace dolan is

the only saving grave to this is that Drury is now in charge and he was brought up in the organization and has been part of this rebuild and it's not like Dolan fired everyone and hired Messier to run the show

Reactions: fm and NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->