Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If that were the case, why was Quinn allowed to finish out the year with the door open to returning next year? If Dolan wanted Quinn gone, he would have been gone and Martin or Knoblauch could have finished out the year. It makes more sense to me that JD fell on the sword for Gorton.

I've believed this to be the case as well.

But I don't know that the door to "keep" Quinn was ever really open. It may have bee Dru doing his best to shield his friend from the inevitable in the midst of chaos and the players from even more of it.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I've believed this to be the case as well.

But I don't know that the door to "keep" Quinn was ever really open. It may have bee Dru doing his best to shield his friend from the inevitable in the midst of chaos and the players from even more of it.

That's certainly a possibility. We'll likely never know if the exit interviews could have actually impacted the decision or if it was already made.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Best scenario is that Gorton is hired by someone within Rangers division. Than he can rebuild there to 2031.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Someone correct me if I am wrong. J.D. should not be allowed to speak with or even be in the same room with anyone from the Columbus organization. He is still under contract with the Rangers.
He has all knowledge of our upcoming draft lists and he also has intimate knowledge of the Rangers organization sentiment on their own players and where they fit in their current or future plans which would be used by other teams when it comes to trades.
Are the Rangers going to receive compensation or has Dolan and Drury not understanding this is a major problem?

If JD was under contract with the Rangers still, then the Rangers gave Columbus permission to talk to him. If he was not still under contract, then there's nothing the Rangers can say about it. Either way, it means the Rangers are okay with it.

It should also be pointed out that we hired JD, from Columbus, on May 17th, 2019. Did that give us any special insight into what Columbus was going to do? Did it in any way change the Rangers strategy? The answer to those questions is no. There are absolutely no concerns about JD joining Columbus prior to the draft. We are picking 16th and they are picking 4th. The teams aren't even looking at the same group of players.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
With respect to the direction of the organization changing, I see this more as like (just think generic political figures here) the president and vice president are out, replaced by the House speaker and the president pro tempore of the Senate--when they're all from the same party. You may end up with the person at the top taking a somewhat different approach to governance, but at the end of the day it's going to be the same basic agenda, the same goals, the same platform. This isn't like a swing from one party to another where there is a 180 degree shift in priorities. Drury may operate differently than Gorton and/or JD, but I think they're all from the same party, so to speak, and none of them are on the fringes of the party.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
typically i agree with the whole Captancy. With such a young team and questions who is the voice? Just anybody speaks up? This is an instance in which i have question. A veteran hasn't been annointed while the kids haven't earned it. Kinda no man's land is my perception

I think they need to take a look at their leadership, whether or not that results in someone officially serving as captain is another matter.

I definitely think there's room for change in the leadership core though.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I do understand that, but the two are not the same. Dolan has never shied from spending money on his team (and that is the only thing positive I can say about him).

so that's your hot take? Great, i'll stick with mine which are the kids posing as businessmen are only riding the coat tails of their families. The personell decisions of the Knicks, Mets and Jets are equally pathetic while all three spent money. Jeff gave the ok to buy a Cano, etc. Only difference is ownership is the Mets were always losing money. All three lost in the standings thanks to the Skippies

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think they need to take a look at their leadership, whether or not that results in someone officially serving as captain is another matter.

I definitely think there's room for change in the leadership core though.

i'm not sure it's an easy fix. The kids are still not ready. Will Zibby be extended? Will Kreider be around long term? Trouba is all giggles in front of the mic so i can't see that working. Fox? Maybe.

Cap wise this will be challenging long term imo but i'll repeat the name again; Seth Jones. I could see him being a Captain here and only b/c i don't think Laf is ready.

Reactions: leetch99
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
so that's your hot take? Great, i'll stick with mine which are the kids posing as businessmen are only riding the coat tails of their families. The personell decisions of the Knicks, Mets and Jets are equally pathetic while all three spent money. Jeff gave the ok to buy a Cano, etc. Only difference is ownership is the Mets were always losing money. All three lost in the standings thanks to the Skippies
I don't do hot takes. But if I did, it would be: they should have stayed the course. Scorching, I know. Should have warned you.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i'm not sure it's an easy fix. The kids are still not ready. Will Zibby be extended? Will Kreider be around long term? Trouba is all giggles in front of the mic so i can't see that working. Fox? Maybe.

Cap wise this will be challenging long term imo but i'll repeat the name again; Seth Jones. I could see him being a Captain here and only b/c i don't think Laf is ready.

I think we have elements to work with - Trouba, etc. I think we have elements that will continue to emerge - Laf, etc. And I think we will have elements we'll look to bring in.

I don't think it's quite the overhaul that others might believe, but it will take a sound strategy.

Reactions: leetch99

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Attempt at humor aside and recognizing a lack of patience, this rebuild really hasn't taken that long. Look at when the Avs drafted Landeskog and Nate McKinnon. Look at what Yzerman is doing in Detroit.

The Devils have been rebuilding since they lost Parise and Kovalchuk and in that time frame we went to the Stanley Cup Finals, Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals, Game 6 of the 2nd round, tore that entire roster down, and got back to 2 years of playoff contention, and yet NJ is still looking at another 2-3 years of rebuilding.

And not that this really says much but AZ drafted Dylan Strome 3rd overall in 2015, the year we lost to Tampa, and have far surpassed them as well.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm saying Gorton did a good job but he benefitted from being Panarin and Fox wanting to play here over any other place.

Gorton also had a huge head start on this rebuild by having the benefit of liquidating a playoff caliber roster. It was a situation that was impossible to mess up, trading away McDonagh and Miller and Stepan and Nash and Hayes and Zuccarello. No other GM had those big names in his pocket to work with.

March 2018 that roster was just less than a year removed from almost going back to the ECF for a 4th time if not for AV having the worst coached series in NHL history and Ottawa having the luckiest breaks ever I mean that Brassard goal late in Game 5 was the biggest BS I have ever seen, had to hit off 4 different players at the perfect angle to go into the net. Literally a one in a trillion bounce.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Attempt at humor aside and recognizing a lack of patience, this rebuild really hasn't taken that long. Look at when the Avs drafted Landeskog and Nate McKinnon. Look at what Yzerman is doing in Detroit.
You are right. It was an attemt to provoke and be funny at the same time. I always fail:)
But I think you remember wrongly about Colorado. Roy left as HC in august 2016 when Sakic wanted a rebuild. They were division champions in 2014. And tried for a couple of more seasons before deciding to do a rebuild. It only took them 3 years to be mentioned as a contender. But in fairness they already had great young players.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Not for nothing but JD/Gorton put the pressure on themselves when they signed Panarin/Trouba/Kreider to those contracts. Making moves like that brings expectations, regardless of the braintrust preaching patience.

On top of that, i would argue the rebuild wasnt going all that well. Kakko & Laf are improving but producing at historically low levels for top picks. Im not saying they need to be Crosby or Ovechkin out of the gate but they (and Chytil, Kravtsov) were not getting the opportunities that a so called "rebuilding team" should give their top prospects.

Reactions: Off Sides

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Always fun watching Ryan Graves play for a top team after we traded him for no reason and got back nothing. Gorton really wasn't that great. He wasn't bad but he doesn't deserve the rep he has in terms of overall GM skill. He knew how to build a loser and overpay guys. Great. So do half the people here.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Always fun watching Ryan Graves play for a top team after we traded him for no reason and got back nothing. Gorton really wasn't that great. He wasn't bad but he doesn't deserve the rep he has in terms of overall GM skill. He knew how to build a loser and overpay guys. Great. So do half the people here.
This take is too molten hot for me to touch, but I will say that of the Ryan Graves trade is the worst move on your resume, you're probably doing okay.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This take is too molten hot for me to touch, but I will say that of the Ryan Graves trade is the worst move on your resume, you're probably doing okay.
You are right. But here are 7 others that are worse:

• DQs Hiring/insistence of loyalty from top Brass - despite it was crystal clear he was in way over his head
  • Letting Fast go for nothing (2m) and then severely lacking this component whilst also publicly complaining about it
  • The McDonaugh/Miller trade return
  • Stepan/Raantas trade return and the handling of the assets acquired
  • Resigning CK21 instead of optimizing another building block return and handcuffing future cap
  • Uneasiness in the organization while retaining a country club feel and its effect on youth
  • Not bringing in enough grit to “protect” the youngest team in the league...
The moronic Parros letter forced Jungle Jim into a corner and he had to play out his mixed hand while an old school fogy with a stogy whispered into his ear. For better or worse. Now we will see what Chris Drury is made of. Little League World Series winner and all... beware as draft day #2 is on July 24 - a SATURDAY!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad