Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
31T podcast is out, a few notes:
- Elliotte says this move had been in the works for a month, jives with what Dolan himself said.
- Says Sather played "a significant role" in this.
- Says Dolan "felt like he wasn't communicated with" regarding JD. Says Dolan wanted more communication from his senior guys.
- "Whatever Davidson and Gorton were selling, it wasn't for Dolan". Says Dolan isn't one for "building", he wants "bold" and Sather is bold.
- Says everyone is trying to define what Dolan says "was missing".
- Elliotte mentions Tochett, says he isn't sure the Rangers want Torts 2.0. Feels for Quinn.
- Wonders if JD goes back to TV. Gorton was "hurt" being let go, says people are already asking about him.
That does not make me feel confident. BOLD moves under Dolan: Fleury, Kamensky, Lindros, Bure (give a mulligan on this as he got hurt), Quintal, Lefebrve, Stevens, Ulanov, Kasparaitis, Messier reboot. Bold move that worked: Jagr.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
That does not make me feel confident. BOLD moves under Dolan: Fleury, Kamensky, Lindros, Bure (give a mulligan on this as he got hurt), Quintal, Lefebrve, Stevens, Ulanov, Kasparaitis, Messier reboot. Bold move that worked: Jagr.

In the words of Brandt in "The Big Lebowski", This is our concern dude.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I hate when people do that.

The one that really got me to hate when people do that wasn't even from hockey:

If you take away Barry Sanders long runs his ypc is low because he got stopped for a loss too many times. Yeah duh that's not the way that works, not every player can be Curtis Martin where every run of his was 4 yards. Anyway I digress as usual.
Not to get off topic, but actually, in football it does work. Same with Saquon Barkley. When you are relying on the big play and your yards per play look like: 1, 2, 1, 59, 3, -1, 0, 4, 1, , 1, 3, 2, 1, -2, -1, 15, 20, 1, 0, -1...... It does not allow a team to sustain drives, leads to a lot of 3 and outs and keeps your defense on the field. This however, is more on the OLine than the RB. Hence, why I take the strong OL with a mediocre RB over a mediocre OL with a great RB any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Off topic, but only because I don’t see where else to comment on Valley: Steve sounds like the singer for Cake on a song. Stick shifts and Safety belts.
Dead ringer

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Something I havent heard mentioned is isn't this familiar to Gorton in Bos? Rebuild almost done and he gets fired? Wonder if they saw a lot of the same inadequacies over in Bos and realized he wouldn't be the guy to get things over the top.
Gorton was AGM under O'Donnell and became the interim GM during the 2006 off-season when the latter was fired. He really was only the GM because Bruins couldn't hire Chiarelli (who Jacobs loved) to replace O'Donnell until later in the summer. d Gorton initially remained on as AGM but was later fired because Chiarelli wanted to have one of "his" guys in that position.

Sather's name is on the letter. I have to believe he can still see the forrest through the trees.

Yes Sather's name is on the letter, that is true. My fear has always been that he was like "OK Jeff, we'll try it your way" but he had his reservations.

I wonder if Sather can placate Dolan by pushing for a trade for more toughness and a new coach.

That is the hope but I'm scared of the execution.

2) Any move may be more of a "Nash-like" trade—where the team is willing to move some pieces outside of what is decided is the core (presumably at this point I think we're talking Lafreniere, Miller, Kakko and Fox). I also don't see a move to deal a young top six guy for two role players (which is what the Amonte trade was).
Unfortunately Nash was the exact B-type personality that this team did not need at the time. Great talent but he was just happy to be here. I say this because it goes back to execution again. Need a highly skilled player, sought out the wrong one and traded assets to get him.

I can only hope he realized that his letter was necessary in the first place because this team when years without first round picks
Which was a result of him going for a cup and failing. Yes all we can do is hope but my confidence is low and I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that Dolan is a rational person and Glen Sather saw the light in his mid 70s.

Bure (give a mulligan on this as he got hurt),
See I don't give a mulligan on Bure because it's the thought process behind the trade that was the failure. We were not a healthy Bure away from becoming a cup contender. I have no problem when something doesn't work out (shit happens) but the sound logic has to be there in beginning.

Hopefully Drury really does have autonomy and he ends up as good as many expect.

Reactions: CLW

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
"Honestly does anyone think any player “protects” any other player? I just don’t see how that’s remotely possible but I’m open to being convinced."

I'm just answering your question. it's an instance.

but yeah, if Chara was a Ranger Wednesday night and he was on the ice when Wilson attacked Buch would he have gotten his hands on Panarin next or would Chara have arrived in time?

otoh I don't think Chara being on the ice would have stopped Wilson from assaulting Buch. Wilson might be showing CTE symptoms already.

I mean protect them from the sort of thing Wilson does, not protect them from scripted fights that players already don’t have to participate in. Ultimately, Chara or no, Smith could drop the gloves and Eller could skate away and be protected by the refs.

I liken it to the Cold War arms race. The point of a deterrent is to show the other side that you have a nuclear option just like they do. It would make the other side think at least about allowing their psycho to run wild. At least have a bluff that they must call. Do you want to take the risk of having your own top guys/skilled teammates getting blown up?

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I liken it to the Cold War arms race. The point of a deterrent is to show the other side that you have a nuclear option just like they do. It would make the other side think at least about allowing their psycho to run wild. At least have a bluff that they must call.
But you don’t have to be Wilson, Reeves, etc to hurt someone in a hockey game if you’re willing to not care about them and take a suspension.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have tried to express my concerns since Trouba was acquired, and failed to summarize it as well as this. I'm not saying I'm right, but this is the fear. Happy to be wrong.
When I watch Panarin and Zibanejad and Strome all doing magical shit, I'm always sort of left wondering, will we ever be really good while they're still doing this? It's like being a Mets fan and watching deGrom and having the sinking feeling that you're watching a guy waste his prime because the team can't get it's shit together. I'm not saying that the Rangers, it's just my fear.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
But you don’t have to be Wilson, Reeves, etc to hurt someone in a hockey game if you’re willing to not care about them and take a suspension.

I don't condone intentionally hurting someone. You have to show teeth, have to show there's a threat element. The goal is that both sides do not push the nuke button. But in the case of Wilson, Laviolette should feel there's enough of a deterrence or a threat to have to remind Wilson to keep himself in check.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
With Dolan, you can throw out the org chart and the titles. Glen Sather is the senior hockey official with the Rangers, the only real direct report to Dolan, and he has been since the day he was hired. He still is. If JD/JG weren't savvy enough to understand that, it's on them.

Dolan's a dope, but that's how he works. With the Knicks, it was Isiah, even after Dolan "fired" him.

The whole board knows the "it" that was missing. So does Sather. When Dolan talked to Sather, Sather confirmed it and that's why JD/JG are gone. They picked and backed a mediocre coach who plays Johnny Brodzinski more than Kappo Kakko, and put together a really soft team that got totally smoked in their one brief playoff appearance. The team they put together is mentally and physically soft. Those are the typical kind of things that get FOs fired. So it is here.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't condone intentionally hurting someone. You have to show teeth, have to show there's a threat element. The goal is that both sides do not push the nuke button. But in the case of Wilson, Laviolette should feel there's enough of a deterrence or a threat to have to remind Wilson to keep himself in check.
My point is if you’re not trying to intentionally hurt someone, there is no check for someone who is. The threat of a fight he can turtle out of or the refs will break up if it doesn’t go his way is not going to stop him from doing anything at all.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Try to make logic of an illogical situation with an irrational owner. So outside of the statement and the potential drama inside the organization around it there are two tangible subjects that may have made Dolan want a change.

TdA situation. I don't want to bring up this dead horse discussion of was it right vs wrong. I want to point out that perhaps Dolan didn't agree with the decision either at the time or over time. I'm sure JD and Gorts told Dolan the plan and at the time Dolan trusted JD and Gorts. JD and Gorts probably presented that they could "live" without TdA. In the end falling short, perhaps in Dolan's mind he thinks they could have used TdA especially with the injuries at the end. At the very least, I'm sure he wasn't happy paying TdA not to play (although he has swallowed paying for players like Redden who's services were no longer rendered with the team).

Playoff bubble feedback from JD and Gorts was "we are concerned about the lack of grit on the team" and the solution they assembled still didn't address this issue enough. One could easily argue the cap circumstances this year and we have much more flexbility this off season. If Dolan lost trust because of how they handled this issue last year, maybe he doesn't trust their ability to actually address it.

No doubt.

I always liked Gorton from many perspectives, but he also had a tendency to lose focus, mix up the priorities.

Why did we go with Geo over Hank? Gauthier over someone who could provide us comfort and protect the kids and stars? Not having a depth defender who is more physical?

The answer is of course super simple, we picked “potential” and “accumulating assets/value” over looking after and nurturing what we had. In hindsight, all these calls were really poor costly calls. Hank would have kept the lockerroom and shack, we would have developed more attitude as a team, etc etc etc.

With stronger guidance, a stronger coach that can set demands and communicate better, I think Gorton could have been a great GM. But you just can’t make big mistakes over and over again at that position, downright unnecessary mistakes. Why gamble on those moves paying off? They were so low reward anyway.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
My point is if you’re not trying to intentionally hurt someone, there is no check for someone who is. The threat of a fight he can turtle out of or the refs will break up if it doesn’t go his way is not going to stop him from doing anything at all.

I think we have to accept the fact that Wilson is just a very unique scumbag. I wouldn't want the team doing something stupid or reactionary just because of him. But they do need a bit more nastiness in this lineup, Wilson or no Wilson. In the games the Rangers aren't scoring a bunch of goals , they're easy to play against. They need to fix that. They need to find the guy who can change the flow of the game.

Reactions: haveandare

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
dolan.jpg

Reactions: rangers1314
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad