Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah in the short term it's a shame Avs couldn't have signed him. Panarin on Mackinnon's wing, or holding up his own line with Kadri, would have been a great fit. However, in the back half of Panarin's contract when Mackinnon gets his deal we might be grateful for Sakic's reluctance to give too much term/aav.

With Panarin Avs would have turned into contender, though, and even a single cup would have made the signing a big win.

Reactions: Richard88

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Nobody else has come back here since late November to read the hate some were giving this deal? LOL. Turned Strome into a C on pace for 70 points, and who knows, maybe he activated Strome's 5th OA potential the Isles thought they had when they drafted him. His impact was left after not even an entire played season. Unreal. One guy in here mentioned he'd need to come close to posting McDavid numbers to justify the deal he got. Well, he did it in the first year, and wait until the kids start putting the puck in the net like Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, etc.

I didn't really have much comment on the contract signing when it happened, but my comment would have been more about "how good will Panarin be when NYR are ready to contend for a cup?" rather than "how good will he be next year?"

Right now, he absolutely looks like a great signing. And, I'd say he pushes the NYR rebuild at least a year or two forward. Hopefully he will still be this good on the wrong side of 30 otherwise he's be a complete anchor, especially in uncertain cap times.

When do Rangers fans think they're be ready to be a legit playoff team year after year? If their playoff window opens next year, it's worth it. If it's a few years off, it may not be. I honestly don't know enough about NYR to properly assess this.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I didn't really have much comment on the contract signing when it happened, but my comment would have been more about "how good will Panarin be when NYR are ready to contend for a cup?" rather than "how good will he be next year?"

Right now, he absolutely looks like a great signing. And, I'd say he pushes the NYR rebuild at least a year or two forward. Hopefully he will still be this good on the wrong side of 30 otherwise he's be a complete anchor, especially in uncertain cap times.

When do Rangers fans think they're be ready to be a legit playoff team year after year? If their playoff window opens next year, it's worth it. If it's a few years off, it may not be. I honestly don't know enough about NYR to properly assess this.

The Rangers had a good chance to make the playoffs this year. If Shesterkin can continue his stellar play, they should be in the mix next year. If some other players step up, they may even make some noise.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

They can be a playoff team next year. A full year of Shesterkin, Kakko, Chytil and other young guys being more experienced and the turnover monster, Brady Skjei, is not playing 20+ minutes a game here anymore. Also, Buchnevich took another step forward this year and Fox is going to be a stud going forward. Him and Lindgren will probably be the top pairing next year. A healthy Kreider and possibly Kravtsov playing with Strome and Panarin (if Fast wants too much money and leaves) can help the top-6. They were 2 points short this year.

My concerns would be...

1. Were these career years from Zibanejad, Panarin and DeAngelo? Especially Zibanejad who had arguably the biggest hot streak in the NHL this season.

2. Can Kravtsov play top-6 minutes? Quinn specifically said one of the reasons he was sent down was because he didn’t want him in the bottom-6.

3. Can Chytil take the next step and become a 2C or top-6 winger.

Other things I consider are if we’re going to see improvement from Gauthier and where someone like Morgan Barron could possibly fit in next year. I’d like to see Pajuniemi, but something tells me he might be in Liiga for another year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Panarin, Zibanejad, Shesterkin, Fox. A Hart caliber winger, a 1C, a 1D, and a Vezina Caliber goalie. If these guys can keep it up, we have the top end players to be contenders for the Cup in the upcoming seasons. We need to fill a few holes though, like adding some more secondary scoring from our forwards and improving the left side of our defense. We have the young players to improve both, but they have to develop their games. LHD is the need of the two where we might need to do a little tinkering with a trade. I’m more confident that players such as Kakko and Chytil can at least become second line contributors in the upcoming years.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I want to see a 2nd season of him like this first. 2 years ago Hall was the exact same thing.

Hall only had one other season close to his 2018 season and that was in 2014. Panarin was an 80+ player both of his years in Columbus and has lead the league in ES scoring these past 2 seasons. His advanced metrics show he’s elite at driving and creating offense.

Ledge And Dairy

Hall only had one other season close to his 2018 season and that was in 2014. Panarin was an 80+ player both of his years in Columbus and has lead the league in ES scoring these past 2 seasons. His advanced metrics show he’s elite at driving and creating offense.
You are missing the point, Hall solo carried his team to the playoffs in 18, but Hall wont get an 11.6M contract. I know Panarin is good, but he has never shown us this kind of season before. He lived up to his contract this year but can he do it again? Is he really worth being the 2nd highest paid player in the league? Maybe? We don't know until he does it again.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
You are missing the point, Hall solo carried his team to the playoffs in 18, but Hall wont get an 11.6M contract. I know Panarin is good, but he has never shown us this kind of season before. He lived up to his contract this year but can he do it again? Is he really worth being the 2nd highest paid player in the league? Maybe? We don't know until he does it again.

I'm 100% convinced that, if given the chance, all 32 GMs would choose Panarin over Hall.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

I didn’t miss the point, you just selectively read.

He’s in an ideal situation where teams don’t know whether to send their best checking units and defensive pairings out against his line or Zibanejad’s. Not to mention that he’s played with a middle-6 center in Strome and a bottom-6 winger in Fast this season. He’s going to get better linemates as time goes on.

Hall’s 2018 season was also based off of a 26 game point streak that he will never replicate again.

All of the signs point towards him being able to do it.

Reactions: LokiDog

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Thats because Hall can't stay on the ice.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I'm 100% convinced that, if given the chance, all 32 GMs would choose Panarin over Hall.
Whether its fair to do or not - If you took away Hall’s injury bug I think that vote gets split 50/50

They really are equal talents IMO

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah he has. You just weren't watching.

I'm mostly an Oilers/Jackets fan. I know these players. Panarin's seasons in Columbus were better than the 2nd and 3rd best seasons of Hall's career, and not far off from Panarin's MVP performance in New York and Hall's MVP season in New Jersey. He's a very consistent player, couldn't be further from Hall in that regard.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whether its fair to do or not - If you took away Hall’s injury bug I think that vote gets split 50/50

They really are equal talents IMO

Even if you go on points per game to control for the injury issue, Hall's had some stinker seasons like this one where he isn't even close to point per game. Panarin is a much better bet to give you a great performance. His lowest performance was as a sophomore in Chicago when he scored 74 points in 82 games. Hall has had a worse points per game than that 6 times and a better one only 4 times.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Even if you go on points per game to control for the injury issue, Hall's had some stinker seasons like this one where he isn't even close to point per game. Panarin is a much better bet to give you a great performance. His lowest performance was as a sophomore in Chicago when he scored 74 points in 82 games. Hall has had a worse points per game than that 6 times and a better one only 4 times.

Win.

Reactions: LokiDog

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Hall played in the league since 18. Panarin came in at a much later age and far more finely-tuned.

Hall at one point between (roughly) his draft year and like 2014 was a top-5 ES producer. He has a high level of talent, speed and finesse, and an insanely intense drive.

I think theyre equal talent all stats aside because their careers are so drastically different. Panarin started later on a Cup contender with no injury history. I know I cant erase history so if you wanna say Panarin is better Im on board. But I cant agree they are different level talents; I find them to be very equal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hall played in the league since 18. Panarin came in at a much later age and far more finely-tuned.

Hall at one point between (roughly) his draft year and like 2014 was a top-5 ES producer. He has a high level of talent, speed and finesse, and an insanely intense drive.

I think theyre equal talent all stats aside because their careers are so drastically different. Panarin started later on a Cup contender with no injury history. I know I cant erase history so if you wanna say Panarin is better Im on board. But I cant agree they are different level talents; I find them to be very equal.

They looked like equal talents when Hall was at his best. But then you have years like this one where Panarin is just vastly better. Hall had 52 pts in 65 games, and Panarin 97 points in 69 games.

You can control for linemates, age, games played/ injuries, however you do it Panarin comes out ahead.

I wouldn't say they are equal talents because too many things have to go right for Hall to be as effective. Panarin can work his magic while barely moving out there.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
They looked like equal talents when Hall was at his best. But then you have years like this one where Panarin is just vastly better. Hall had 52 pts in 65 games, and Panarin 97 points in 69 games.

You can control for linemates, age, games played/ injuries, however you do it Panarin comes out ahead.

I wouldn't say they are equal talents because too many things have to go right for Hall to be as effective. Panarin can work his magic while barely moving out there.
Fair enough its just a difference of centimeters, Im just advocating that not all 32 GMs would take Panarin over Hall if his injuries werent as much of a problem. I happen to think a good chunk of them would go for Hall if they have enough playmakers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fair enough its just a difference of centimeters, Im just advocating that not all 32 GMs would take Panarin over Hall if his injuries werent as much of a problem. I happen to think a good chunk of them would go for Hall if they have enough playmakers

It's not a matter of centimeters, he was closer to doubling Hall's output this year while playing with journeymen Strome and Fast.

And what would these GMs be short on to make them switch from Panarin to Hall?

Transition play? Hall is a great transition player, Panarin is #1 in the league.

Goals? Panarin has scored more than Hall in all but that one season.

The only way this is roughly comparable is if you imagine Hall is simply better than he is. Not just imagine that he is healthy but imagine that he is vastly more consistent than he is.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
It's not a matter of centimeters, he was closer to doubling Hall's output this year while playing with journeymen Strome and Fast.

And what would these GMs be short on to make them switch from Panarin to Hall?

Transition play? Hall is a great transition player, Panarin is #1 in the league.

Goals? Panarin has scored more than Hall in all but that one season.

The only way this is roughly comparable is if you imagine Hall is simply better than he is. Not just imagine that he is healthy but imagine that he is vastly more consistent than he is.
I just think youre letting stats take over for their actual play on the ice.

Agree to disagree but ive watched both a many a time and think they are comparable in skill. I think Hall on a contender is an absolute beast who can carry in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad