Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I know Ryan Strome produced last year and without Panarin this year but I highly doubt he would be on a PPG pace this late into the season without Panarin.

And to think he almost could have gone to the Islanders and we could have seen Panarin and Barzal on the same line terrorize the league. Thank god the draw of NYC was too great.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I know Ryan Strome produced last year and without Panarin this year but I highly doubt he would be on a PPG pace this late into the season without Panarin.

And to think he almost could have gone to the Islanders and we could have seen Panarin and Barzal on the same line terrorize the league. Thank god the draw of NYC was too great.

He's played 12 games with Panarin, not 20. He has 22 pts in 21 games.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
worth every damn penny so far.
Still an expensive contract, but that was the price otherwise no Panarin. So it had to be done, and the number will be a lot better when the new TV contract kicks in and the cap jumps in a couple years.

But yeah, it's so nice for once to have a big signing that delivers instead of busts like Brad Richards, Shattenkirk, etc...

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
No reason to take bows yet

Highly unlikely the back end of this contract won't be a killer but it is what it is

Agreed.

But one thing to consider is the effect Panarin has on the rest of the team. If he elevates the play of those around him, it could make guys more valuable in a trade. Good long-term effects that are less quantifiable.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I wouldn't take him on the caps at this cap hit because of how much shit would need to be moved around but any team that can make it work would be absolutely blessed to have him for under 12. Dude's grit and consistency is so underrated. He's like a mixture of Kane and Hossa but not quite at their peaks.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Nobody else has come back here since late November to read the hate some were giving this deal? LOL. Turned Strome into a C on pace for 70 points, and who knows, maybe he activated Strome's 5th OA potential the Isles thought they had when they drafted him. His impact was left after not even an entire played season. Unreal. One guy in here mentioned he'd need to come close to posting McDavid numbers to justify the deal he got. Well, he did it in the first year, and wait until the kids start putting the puck in the net like Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, etc.

Reactions: Ryan Washkevich

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Nobody else has come back here since late November to read the hate some were giving this deal? LOL. Turned Strome into a C on pace for 70 points, and who knows, maybe he activated Strome's 5th OA potential the Isles thought they had when they drafted him. His impact was left after not even an entire played season. Unreal. One guy in here mentioned he'd need to come close to posting McDavid numbers to justify the deal he got. Well, he did it in the first year, and wait until the kids start putting the puck in the net like Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, etc.
I'll say it. I was against it. I didn't think the team was ready to add a guy of this level. I will admit though, that at that time, I didn't know he was this level, and truthfully, I don't think he was yet. Panarin has been worth every cent as a Ranger, and it's a shame this crap has interrupted the world and this season because he was just brilliant almost every game.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Surprised and respect Panarin having a career year. It’s a very. long contract and could get really ugly on later few seasons.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Surprised and respect Panarin having a career year. It’s a very. long contract and could get really ugly on later few seasons.
Yeah in the short term it's a shame Avs couldn't have signed him. Panarin on Mackinnon's wing, or holding up his own line with Kadri, would have been a great fit. However, in the back half of Panarin's contract when Mackinnon gets his deal we might be grateful for Sakic's reluctance to give too much term/aav.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It could, like any long-term contract carries risk the deeper in the deal the player gets. But Panarin might be the kind of player for whom age may not greatly diminish his productivity and play. His game really is not predicated on any amazing physical trait. He's not big. He's not all exceptionally fast. His best assets are his IQ and vision.

Last edited:
Reactions: klingsor

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Islanders could have ended up with Panarin - Barzal - Strome :(

Strome had a good first season and then was given every opportunity on the Isles and flopped miserably. Good on him for turning it around but we'd much rather have Eberle 10/10, regardless of the season Ryan's having now.

But yeah, if only Panarin had accepted the blank check but what can you do?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The guy signed the monster contract.....then actually got better

I was here telling Rangers fans that he was a top player in the league. Watching him this year I don't think he got better, he was just underrated before. Shit powerplay and playing with weak linemates held Panarin's numbers down in Columbus, but watching him you knew he created everything and was the best transition player in the league.

When Columbus was throwing out it's desperate offers to players last summer, fans were evenly split on whether to offer $8.5m per to Duchene. Then when word came that Jarmo offered Panarin $100m to stay, not a soul spoke against it. We were desperate for him to take the money, and that's not something you'd expect for an 80-something point player. They're usually not worth $100m, but we knew he was.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Might be worried about the later years, but the 1st year was outstanding. Sometimes he tries to get too fancy in his own end with passes and turns the puck over, but an absolute joy to watch when he's looking for that goal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People scoff at paying a winger that much, but if he drives play like an elite C, what does it matter, you know?
Which is fantastic, considering we only have 1 center who can drive the play. We basically have 2 players who can do that, which is unfortunate and why they need to be split apart.

Reactions: Anthony5967

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Which is fantastic, considering we only have 1 center who can drive the play. We basically have 2 players who can do that, which is unfortunate and why they need to be split apart.

He's better when he can be the puck carrier and run the whole line. It would be a waste to put another play driver on his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad