Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just think youre letting stats take over for their actual play on the ice.

Agree to disagree but ive watched both a many a time and think they are comparable in skill. I think Hall on a contender is an absolute beast who can carry in the playoffs.

I'm using stats because they paint a stark picture and saying "no I've seen it" is only so effective. Their actual play on the ice matches the stats here. MVP caliber players should boost teams significantly closer to contender status. Panarin can do that. He just recorded a +36 on a team that was expected to miss the playoffs by a mile. Hall is a minus player (again) for two teams that were expected to be better than that. Hall has played 5 career playoff games so I'm not going to bother discussing it.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I'm using stats because they paint a stark picture and saying "no I've seen it" is only so effective. Their actual play on the ice matches the stats here. MVP caliber players should boost teams significantly closer to contender status. Panarin can do that. He just recorded a +36 on a team that was expected to miss the playoffs by a mile. Hall is a minus player (again) for two teams that were expected to be better than that. Hall has played 5 career playoff games so I'm not going to bother discussing it.
Well remind me how many MVPs Panarin has

Lol

Reactions: Conbon

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I keep hearing "Left a signifigant amount of money on the NYI table".... Jesus, how the hell much WAS the Isles offer? 15?!

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Count me as one of the ones who doesn’t expect a Hall like drop-off from Panarin.

Artemi has always been a much more skilled player than Hall. He’s just overall been a more consistent offensive force throughout his career.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Cant predict the future, but I'm comfortable with Panarin for at least the next 4 seasons of producing 80+ points.

Also regarding Hall.

I dont view him as someone I want leading my team. Hes a very expensive complimentary player.

There was a poster that said if he was on a contender hed be a best in the playoffs.

That's the kind of description that a Chris Kreider gets.

As good as Hall is, and I agree he is GOOD, there is something about him that leaves you wanting more.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Whether its fair to do or not - If you took away Hall’s injury bug I think that vote gets split 50/50

They really are equal talents IMO
Hall is a great individual player and is more skilled then Paniran ( mostly because the separation of speed and uses his size better ) BUT Paniran makes his teammates better. Hall doesn’t.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Hall is a great individual player and is more skilled then Paniran ( mostly because the separation of speed and uses his size better ) BUT Paniran makes his teammates better. Hall doesn’t.
I mean Hall played on a line with Nico Hischier at 18yrs old and Nico put up 50+, and from what I hear sometimes on the main board Nico isnt very good... so Hall musta helped him a bunch!

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Cant predict the future, but I'm comfortable with Panarin for at least the next 4 seasons of producing 80+ points.

Also regarding Hall.

I dont view him as someone I want leading my team. Hes a very expensive complimentary player.

There was a poster that said if he was on a contender hed be a best in the playoffs.

As good as Hall is, and I agree he is GOOD, there is something about him that leaves you wanting more.
Hall and Kreider dont belong near each other in this conversation, Kreider couldnt hold Taylor’s jockstrap

And considering Hall has had one singular playoff birth - its fair to project hed be a beast in the playoffs considering he does some heavy lifting every single regular season, usually with bare minimum in teammates.

Imagine if Hall had a Marchand or Backstrom feeding him?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Hall and Kreider dont belong near each other in this conversation, Kreider couldnt hold Taylor’s jockstrap

And considering Hall has had one singular playoff birth - its fair to project hed be a beast in the playoffs considering he does some heavy lifting every single regular season, usually with bare minimum in teammates.

Imagine if Hall had a Marchand or Backstrom feeding him?

Are you dense?

The description of "if he were on a contender hed be a beast in the Playoffs" is a description best mentioned with regards to Kreider.

How on gods green earth did you get that I was comparing the two players?

Seriously. Take that lump crap that sits perched on your shoulders and slap it against the wall a few times.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Are you dense?

The description of "if he were on a contender hed be a beast in the Playoffs" is a description best mentioned with regards to Kreider.

Seriously. Take that lump crap that sits perched on your shoulders and slap it against the wall a few times.
He's very moody. Somebody needed to stroke him and tell him Hall is more skilled than Panarin like that one guy. Yea, I'd like to have some of what that guy is having. Hall has more speed than Bread, though.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Are you dense?

Youre just rambling at this point

Maybe dont mention a random player when were discussing Hall and Panarin. Just a hunch but maybe your example sucked?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Also regarding Hall.

I think a confident, healthy Hall is absolutely a leader on the ice and someone who can make a difference even in a tough physical series. His athleticism, speed and talent is a strong combination.

Problem is he can be moody and then rely on his ability/physical traits to try everything himself, not to mention if he's not healthy then that takes away a lot from his game. I can see why some people see some of those things as that "something". But to say he's a complimentary player i think is a little too much.

Panarin's offensive game has more dimension to it and he just keeps doing his thing no matter what the circumstances are, which makes him very consistent and a better player in the long run. The guy is just so naturally gifted while also being a very hard worker on top of that, not to mention the entertainment factor. I would give him that contract again any day of the week.

Whoever signs Hall will probably be over the moon at times with the signing, and then other times feel like he's overpaid. But if everything with the team and Hall clicks at the same time, that could lead to great things.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Consistensy is a very important thing. People used to say, Malkin would be better, than Crosby, if he was more consistent. Malkin is the epitome of consistency comparing to Hall.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think a confident, healthy Hall is absolutely a leader on the ice and someone who can make a difference even in a tough physical series. His athleticism, speed and talent is a strong combination.

Problem is he can be moody and then rely on his ability/physical traits to try everything himself, not to mention if he's not healthy then that takes away a lot from his game. I can see why some people see some of those things as that "something". But to say he's a complimentary player i think is a little too much.

Panarin's offensive game has more dimension to it and he just keeps doing his thing no matter what the circumstances are, which makes him very consistent and a better player in the long run. The guy is just so naturally gifted while also being a very hard worker on top of that, not to mention the entertainment factor. I would give him that contract again any day of the week.

Whoever signs Hall will probably be over the moon at times with the signing, and then other times feel like he's overpaid. But if everything with the team and Hall clicks at the same time, that could lead to great things.
Panarin is way superior player. He's so skilled and smart and makes his linemates so much better. Hall is different. He creates space for his linemates too with his speed and aggressiveness but overall they are very different players and Hall's game is a lot more individualistic and just random and erratic than Panarin. I feel playing with Hall can be really difficult at times, with Panarin on the hand is everything is so seamless and smooth.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Panarin is way superior player. He's so skilled and smart and makes his linemates so much better. Hall is different. He creates space for his linemates too with his speed and aggressiveness but overall they are very different players and Hall's game is a lot more individualistic and just random and erratic than Panarin. I feel playing with Hall can be really difficult at times, with Panarin on the hand is everything is so seamless and smooth.

He's a product of playing with Ryan Strome!

In all seriousness, I had to go back and look at the last Ranger player who had the ice vision and hockey IQ that Panarin does. At the risk of at best exaggerating and at worse being hyperbolic, it's Brian Leetch or Wayne Gretzky. Panarin seems to know where all his teammates are — at all times — and never seems to make a bad pass.

Reactions: bl02 and majormajor

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Agreed. By dimension i meant the way Bread's IQ impacts the game on different levels, like you said.

That said, while Hall can be a difficult player to play with, if he plays with players who understand what he does and don't try to stir the pot any more than they need to, he can really elevate a line.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see what it looks like if he had someone superior on his line, and how he'd adjust to that these days. Hard to change your game when you're expected to be the guy every night and have had Hart-level success doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad