Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Artemi Panarin signs with the Rangers (7 years, $11.642 AAV)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There's an analogy about different price points of guitars that I think somewhat applies to this. The quality of a guitar is higher the more you pay, but as the prices go up, the quality differences start to become smaller. In other words, there's a bigger quality difference between a $300 guitar and a $1000 guitar than there is between a $1300 guitar and a $2000 guitar. But those smaller differences definitely become more magnified the more you pay. Money is no longer the determining factor. I imagine that when everyone is willing to pay you millions of dollars, the small differences in how you're treated by each team start to become magnified in the same way. At least I imagine. I have no idea from experience.

As a former guitar collector, I substantially agree.
Other factors in play, but well said.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I hope the NHL does a good job Marketing Panarin.

Guy seems like he has a fun personality unlike 95% of the players in this league.

The story of how he went from nothing (rural countryside and very poor) to play hockey in Russia's top league is crazy. First time he had new skates that weren't homemade he was like 16-17.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
It's really quite simple: Manhattan is a beautiful place to live in IF you have the means to do it, which Panarin does. For all its filth and odors and homeless people jacking it on the street, those who are able to live a luxurious lifestyle can enjoy the finer things in life.

I don't know Panarin personally and I know some of you can't fathom it, but some people actually like living in apartments instead of houses with yards. I've lived in Manhattan all my life. I've lived in an apartment all my life. For all its flaws and noise, I couldn't imagine living any other way.
This is true, but I would say Manhattan is much nicer and cleaner than LA or SF as far as filth and homeless people, etc...Manhattan is where it's at.

Reactions: egelband

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is a great signing and ticked off because NY teams regardless of sport always want all-stars flooding to Manhattan Island.

However, amassing wingers, regardless of highly skilled they are can only take them so far. They still have serious issues down the middle, especially on depth.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
When will the rags learn? Spoilers: They won't.
giphy.gif

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
First year Panarin played in Columbus (being a product of Patrick Kane of course) he got 82 points on a team where the 2nd highest forward had... 46. Second year the gap was smaller, only 87 to 69 to 61, both #2 and #3 being his linemates. There's a reason Columbus was basically willing to offer him McDavid money at the last second.

If the Rangers don't ditch Zibanejad and their secondary scoring he should be a 90-100 point player for them for most of his contract while carrying whatever line he's on offensively. That's worth 11 million pretty easily these days.

Crazy that they may actually be a move or 2 from being able to win the cup for Hank after all
Crazy that you think that!

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
This is a great signing and ticked off because NY teams regardless of sport always want all-stars flooding to Manhattan Island.

However, amassing wingers, regardless of highly skilled they are can only take them so far. They still have serious issues down the middle, especially on depth.

I agree. We desperately need one of Chytil, Howden or Lias to have a huge breakout

Reactions: deflowd

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Right? Hockey players are so dull and boring, most of them...even the awful Mets players are fun to watch and interview after losing game after game.
I don't think anyone outside of Mets fans could name three players on that team.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I don't think anyone outside of Mets fans could name three players on that team.
Really, the Mets have the best rookie in franchise history and the arguably the best rookie in the MLB, and they have Jeff McNeil who is basically Ted Williams and deGrom, so that's three that everyone in the sports world probably know.

Reactions: egelband

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You've never been to NYC I take it? If you have willing to bet you only ventured around midtown.
Lol “Manhattan actually sucks!” is one of my favorite comments on here. It’s kind of rare but tends to come out whenever the rangers sign a big player.

It’s so predicated on nonsense that I always get a chuckle. Like, yes, the nicest most happening part of the greatest city in the world, which contains homes for many thousands of people with the means to live literally anywhere on earth, actually sucks.

I don’t really like city life in general, more of an open spaces guy, but manhattan is objectively impressive and awesome as far as city spaces go.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
Jeff McNeil who is basically Ted Williams.
dang yo, i want some of what your smokin! by the time williams was 27 (mcneil age) he was well over a 48 WAR player....McNeil is at 5.2

(if you wanna use just their first two seasons McNeil-5.2 Williams 13)

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Really, the Mets have the best rookie in franchise history and the arguably the best rookie in the MLB, and they have Jeff McNeil who is basically Ted Williams and deGrom, so that's three that everyone in the sports world probably know.

After you die, this will be the thing you hear about from St. Peter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad