Confirmed with Link: Nyquist to be called up for Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Reading some posts about Ken's comments, not sure the sources on those comments I didn't take note but Ken's logic makes no sense to me.

"Nyquist is 24 so he's 'Probably' ready" Really Ken "Probably"?

"Jurco and Nyquist haven't been called up because they need PP time. Because of Daytsuk and Zetterberg they wouldn't get PP time." Ummmm Ken 2 PP lines means 6 players. Soooooooo Daytsuk + Zetterberg = ....... two?

"One of our concerns is getting Nyquist on the team." So much of a concern we signed Cleary when the roster was already full, and it took a serious injury to a defenseman before an opportunity came up to make it happen.

Pure head scratch

I realize people are calling out the complainers. This is what everyone was calling for after all. But its bitter sweet to see the right move when its begrudgingly made out of lack of any other options. This is an injury situation that is simply "forcing" Ken's hand to make the right move when he has clearly been doing everything he can to prevent it from happening. Even when making the right move, the incompetence is still exposed.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
weiss has declined. not the same guy who scored in high 50s and low 60s.

flip legitimately broke out in 11-12. last season sucked bc of the knee injury and couldn't pull it back together. now he's healthy with good offseason under him, motivated in a new team and doing great.

tampa plays pretty tight defensively. center burden isn't as big as in detroit, probably but it's not all run and gun there.

yes, i know i'm pessimistic :).

so Filppula has one good year then goes back to being the disappointment he's been his entire career and it's because of his injury but Weiss has injury problems of his own and his 30 something bad games mean he's not the same guy anymore?

i'm sensing quite the double standard here

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Reading some posts about Ken's comments, not sure the sources on those comments I didn't take note but Ken's logic makes no sense to me.

"Nyquist is 24 so he's 'Probably' ready" Really Ken "Probably"?

"Jurco and Nyquist haven't been called up because they need PP time. Because of Daytsuk and Zetterberg they wouldn't get PP time." Ummmm Ken 2 PP lines means 6 players. Soooooooo Daytsuk + Zetterberg = ....... two?

"One of our concerns is getting Nyquist on the team." So much of a concern we signed Cleary when the roster was already full, and it took a serious injury to a defenseman before an opportunity came up to make it happen.

Pure head scratch

I realize people are calling out the complainers. This is what everyone was calling for after all. But its bitter sweet to see the right move when its begrudgingly made out of lack of any other options. This is an injury situation that is simply "forcing" Ken's hand to make the right move when he has clearly been doing everything he can to prevent it from happening. Even when making the right move, the incompetence is still exposed.

I thought it was funny when he said that obviously the moves they made over the summer made it tougher.

*Duh*.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Not trying to completely rain on the parade, but I'm not expecting much from Nyquist. We finally got Tatar, but he hasn't produced like what we've expected. Nyquist will probably be playing with trash too. It's cool that we'll finally get to see him again, but it doesn't change the idea that the team is mediocre.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not trying to completely rain on the parade, but I'm not expecting much from Nyquist. We finally got Tatar, but he hasn't produced like what we've expected. Nyquist will probably be playing with trash too. It's cool that we'll finally get to see him again, but it doesn't change the idea that the team is mediocre.

Probably not earth-shattering no, but every little bit helps. Anywhere where we can add talent to the roster is important at this point.

They are going to have growing pains no doubt, but this is big for both of their development.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

This is how I feel. But really, isn't that part of the problem? Nyquist should have already played 21 games this season so that when injury to struck to players higher up on the food chain, he was better prepared to take the next step.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think I'll only be pissed about the Weiss signing if Stastny hits free agency and signs a tolerable deal somewhere.

How can you be pissed about things that happen a year apart in free agency? Being mad about Filppula or Grabovski over Weiss seems reasonable. But Statsny over Weiss. What are they going to do just ice Helm-Andersson-Glendening for a year at center?

That's our biggest problem right now.... weak down the middle.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
How can you be pissed about things that happen a year apart in free agency? Being mad about Filppula or Grabovski over Weiss seems reasonable. But Statsny over Weiss. What are they going to do just ice Helm-Andersson-Glendening for a year at center?

You can't. We could bring in Stastny if we wanted, Weiss or not. Would it be a wise move is another matter altogether.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

That's our biggest problem right now.... weak down the middle.

I don't mean mad so much as disappointed. I would've much rather seen this team move forward more cautiously w/r/t the #2 center position with a Grabovski-type addition for now and then go hard after Stastny. And if Stastny didn't work hard, I'd be fine going a few off-seasons with guys like Grabovski, Bolland, or even Roy or Legs in that spot to see who's a good fit under Babcock.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't mean mad so much as disappointed. I would've much rather seen this team move forward more cautiously w/r/t the #2 center position with a Grabovski-type addition for now and then go hard after Stastny. And if Stastny didn't work hard, I'd be fine going a few off-seasons with guys like Grabovski, Bolland, or even Roy or Legs in that spot to see who's a good fit under Babcock.

I'd be all about Grabovski, given how disappointing Weiss has been so far. But at this point it's whatever. I got to hope Weiss will pick it up and do better. He's a good hockey player.

If not I'm all about that wild-card named Janmark in 2 years or so.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I wanted Grabo, Semin, Brunner and Val.But I'm just a fan who knows nothing.People need to stop treating these GM's of these sports teams and coaches like they are God Almighty.Just because we watch on TV don't make our points,suggestions and ideas invalid or should be disregarded...

Why not add Crosby and Ovechkin too?

You can't get either Semin and Grabovski without letting go of both Val and Brunner.

Those 4 account for 17.5 million in salary.

Even without Weiss, Cleary, and Alfredsson you're still around 7.5 million short of being able to fit them under the cap.

You know what people need to stop doing...pretending that they know more about running and coaching an NHL franchise from their living rooms than the guys getting paid millions of dollars to do so.

If a GM or coach is reading HFboards or any other internet messageboards for suggestions on how to run his team they should be immediately fired.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

You can't get either Semin and Grabovski without letting go of both Val and Brunner.

Even without Weiss, Cleary, and Alfredsson you're still around 7.5 million short of being able to fit them under the cap.

You know what people need to stop doing...pretending that they know more about running and coaching an NHL franchise from their living rooms than the guys getting paid millions of dollars to do so.

If a GM or coach is reading HFboards or any other internet messageboards for suggestions on how to run his team they should be immediately fired.

Not disagreeing, But if a GM is signing a player that has shown he doesn't belong in the NHL and allowing himself to be coerced in doing so by his coach, then he should be fire anyways.

Detroit Sports*

How about I didn't want to sign CC.Quincey or Sammy,Tootoo either.Because I am on a messageboard I have no validity? Aren't you on this same board? I do not agree with the way he has run this team since 2009. He is out of touch with player evaluations.He hoards fringe NHLers and never does anything out the box. I never said he should read this board for suggestions. But they aren't above criticism or judgement because I have a day job. I pay for their day job.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hey, do you guys think Gus will get more than two games? A roster move has to be made if he plays more and isn't waiver-eligible, right?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Obviously.

If he can't see what a bunch of fans who don't even get paid to do hockey see, then of course he should be fired.

But that says very little about our ability to see and differentiate talent. I'm not saying we're better GM's, but sometimes we see mistakes coming a mile away and it happens anyway and it turns out we're right.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey, do you guys think Gus will get more than two games? A roster move has to be made if he plays more and isn't waiver-eligible, right?

To be frank, we can't give you an answer. The logical thing is not always done with this team. We all hope he stays up, but there is no way to know for certain. No answers have been given.

We all err on the side of caution, and keep our expectations grounded.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

They weren't calling him up this year until they were ready to keep him up for good. There is no other excuse for calling up Glendening before Nyquist.

He's up for good now. I'd hope that Sammy's clock is ticking down and that he's the guy to go once they need to square up the roster, but that's probably wishful thinking...

If they play him once and send him back down, I'll officially join the anti-brass bandwagon.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
That's the kiss of death.

Have we learned nothing about counting our chickens before they hatch? (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1462683)

Not quite the same thing. We now have the cap space thanks to DeKeyser going on LTIR for 3-6 weeks and when he comes back we'll have accrued enough cap space through the natural progression of time to keep him up. That's how I understand it.

The thread you refer to was about a false rumor manufactured by Cleary's #1 cheerleader. I feel confident that the goose is loose.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not quite the same thing. We now have the cap space thanks to DeKeyser going on LTIR for 3-6 weeks and when he comes back we'll have accrued enough cap space through the natural progression of time to keep him up. That's how I understand it.

The thread you refer to was about a false rumor manufactured by Cleary's #1 cheerleader. I feel confident that the goose is loose.

Not saying it's a similar situation. But we should just wait until things are official to make conclusive statements. Especially with a GM who likes to consistently go against conventional wisdom.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Not saying it's a similar situation. But we should just wait until things are official to make conclusive statements. Especially with a GM who likes to consistently go against conventional wisdom.

Conventional wisdom would have been to keep him out of camp, because he was one of the best 12 forwards (much less 14 or 15 forwards).

So we're past that.

They had some cover due to the roster and cap issues, but now that they have called him up they can't send him back without giving up on him entirely. It's why they haven't called him up yet - they knew they had to wait until they could keep him up forever. At his age and his stage of development, sending him back down now would be devastating.

They can't be that stupid.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Gotta think either a trade will happen or Andersson/Miller gets waived if Gus makes it through his two games.

Andersson's multiple brain farts on the Weber goal the other night make me want him to go away.

But that's probably a knee-jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad