Nyquist skates around Sens zone with puck for 28 seconds and scores OT winner

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Funny that you say this. Nyquist has made a ridiculous amount of sick set-ups this year that his line mates haven't been able to convert. When he was carrying on in this play, I actually laughed and said out loud "he doesn't want to pass it because he knows no one will finish it off."

If this was actually the case then fair enough. Though it does sound like he's slowly developing Kesler-itis. :laugh:

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
Still can't believe it happened. I was just waiting for him to dish it to someone right in front, I was relieved when he took the shot but ended up surprised with the result.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Good point. If the defense wasn't so mediocre on that play and didn't let Nyquist just skate around, we'd be talking about all those passes he ignored before he lost the puck

But guess what? The defense WAS mediocre on that play and allowed him to skate around. I'm sure Nyquist would have passed it off if he felt the pressure was too much.

I'm not sure when players holding onto a puck forever along the outside of the zone, even when there are better plays available to them, became the greatest thing since sliced bread. Especially 4 on 4, where it's much easier to get the space necessary to keep the puck.

It's great that he scored on a super weak shot I guess.

Which better plays are you talking about? He held onto the puck until a lane opened up and then he sniped the corner. Not many players can protect the puck that well and hold off players for that long.

I sense a bit of jealousy from you.

JA

I've never seen anything like that before. Certainly not when the player scored a goal in overtime.

March 2, 2014:

Andrej Sekera maneuvers around the offensive zone with the puck for 24 seconds before scoring.

Not too many people seem to remember that goal. The way he ragged the puck around is similar.

Ducks feed:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I've never seen anything like that before. Certainly not when the player scored a goal in overtime.

Hossa did this twice in a sens jersey(not sure about the 28 seconds thing, but 2-3 laps) with once being in OT. Nice.

Houston Red Winger

Jun 1, 2008
Houston
Sometimes people forget that teamwork is an assembly of great individual efforts. Nothing selfish about stepping up for the team with a great effort and a game winning goal.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Was at the game, we deserved a better fate but the second Gus had the puck and started skating I turned to my dad and just said uh oh.. Sure enough he pots an absolute beauty. Shades of Crosby on Spezza but x10.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
For anyone not paying close attention to the Wing's shootout performances... this was a welcome sight. It was great to see someone not named Hank or Datsyuk put the team on their back and end the game before another miserable shootout OTL.

Nice one Goose.

Delicious Dangles*

Which better plays are you talking about? He held onto the puck until a lane opened up and then he sniped the corner. Not many players can protect the puck that well and hold off players for that long.

I sense a bit of jealousy from you.
Lol, no jealousy. I just prefer seeing actual plays praised instead of skating around the outside of a zone doing nothing. I mean, if all that skating and ignoring plays and almost losing the puck actually meant something and he got a shot in a great position because of it, maybe. But he didn't. He ended up skating all the way back to the point and took a shot from pretty far out, that the goalie really should have had.

The fact that this is OT is also being ignored. MUCH, much easier to hold onto a puck like that in a 4 on 4 situation. And also a much worse play in a 4 on 4 situation where tons of passing lanes open up.

You create MUCH better chances in hockey by passing off the puck and going into good areas. Quick passing also tires out the opposition and makes it harder on the goalie. You also don't open yourself up to the countless times that he could have had the puck stolen in dangerous areas for a counterattack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad