Nyquist skates around Sens zone with puck for 28 seconds and scores OT winner

Topgoon

Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Amazing. This actually reminds me of an OT goal Spezza set up against the the Leafs in the preseason all the way back in the day when the Pizza line was one of the best in the league.

He circled around the entire Leafs team a couple of times before finding an opening. Now the Sens fans know how we felt.

Last edited:

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Lol, no jealousy. I just prefer seeing actual plays praised instead of skating around the outside of a zone doing nothing. I mean, if all that skating and ignoring plays and almost losing the puck actually meant something and he got a shot in a great position because of it, maybe. But he didn't. He ended up skating all the way back to the point and took a shot from pretty far out, that the goalie really should have had.

The fact that this is OT is also being ignored. MUCH, much easier to hold onto a puck like that in a 4 on 4 situation. And also a much worse play in a 4 on 4 situation where tons of passing lanes open up.

You create MUCH better chances in hockey by passing off the puck and going into good areas. Quick passing also tires out the opposition and makes it harder on the goalie. You also don't open yourself up to the countless times that he could have had the puck stolen in dangerous areas for a counterattack.

This is soo ridicolous thanx for your insight :handclap:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Lol, no jealousy. I just prefer seeing actual plays praised instead of skating around the outside of a zone doing nothing. I mean, if all that skating and ignoring plays and almost losing the puck actually meant something and he got a shot in a great position because of it, maybe. But he didn't. He ended up skating all the way back to the point and took a shot from pretty far out, that the goalie really should have had.

The fact that this is OT is also being ignored. MUCH, much easier to hold onto a puck like that in a 4 on 4 situation. And also a much worse play in a 4 on 4 situation where tons of passing lanes open up.

You create MUCH better chances in hockey by passing off the puck and going into good areas. Quick passing also tires out the opposition and makes it harder on the goalie. You also don't open yourself up to the countless times that he could have had the puck stolen in dangerous areas for a counterattack.

Holy bitter.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
The new thing on HF is to rip apart what a player does well because of circumstances the actual player is not in charge for. If now Nyqvist held on the puck for 28 secs on a 4 on 4 situation, one can't put him down for that. Shall players stop play when it's 4 on 4? Is a goal scored 4 on 4 less worth than 5 on 5?
The OT format is not something Nyqvist invented.

And for the puckhog thing: If a player doing that over and over and fails all the time, well then it's time to complain.

Delicious Dangles*

This is soo ridicolous thanx for your insight :handclap:
Holy bitter.
I guess that's all you can say when you can't dispute the facts.

Must be this new-fangled single-minded obsession with puck possession that lacks all context.

The new thing on HF is to rip apart what a player does well because of circumstances the actual player is not in charge for. If now Nyqvist held on the puck for 28 secs on a 4 on 4 situation, one can't put him down for that. Shall players stop play when it's 4 on 4? Is a goal scored 4 on 4 less worth than 5 on 5?
The OT format is not something Nyqvist invented.
It's called knowing the best plays in different types of situations. Some people call it being a hockey player.

He's not punished for it being OT. But people are praising him for it when it wasn't taking full advantage of the situation, and nothing about the whole sequence was all that dangerous.

Maybe if Detroit sucks in shootouts, he shouldn't be wasting 10% of the OT period skating around the outside in circles.

But he scored, so apparently it makes everybody blind to it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Must be this new-fangled single-minded obsession with puck possession that lacks all context.

It's called knowing the best plays in different types of situations. Some people call it being a hockey player.

He's not punished for it being OT. But people are praising him for it when it wasn't taking full advantage of the situation, and nothing about the whole sequence was all that dangerous.

Maybe if Detroit sucks in shootouts, he shouldn't be wasting 10% of the OT period skating around the outside in circles.

What are you even talking about? He kept looking for an opening in coverage, found it and let a shot go just as there was a double-screen on Anderson. He scored, thus taking full advantage of the situation.

It's called knowing when to do something out of the ordinary. Some people call it being a great hockey player.

If Nyquist did this every game and it only led to a goal this once, you'd have a point. Since he doesn't, you don't.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit

Please, tell me more about how to play hockey at the NHL-level, HFboards poster Delicious Dangles.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Absolutely nothing you stated was a fact :laugh:

The facts are that Nyquist held onto the puck for 28 seconds while holding off defenders the entire time, including one rush to the net, and then found an open lane from the top of the circle and sniped it.

He didn't shoot from the blue line lol.

You must be one of the Leaf fans who said Nyquist wouldn't amount to anything and are now bitter that hes a key part to Detroit's offense and has now made highlight real plays in back to back years.

When everyone in the thread is praising him and you're the only one who thinks it was a bad play that should really tell you all you need to know.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA

:laugh:

Nyquist + Tatar + 1st for Delicious Dangles. The ultimate offensive mind.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

You don't think the part where he scored the GWG was dangerous?

I mean, if he shot it right away, when the defense was on point and structured, it wouldn't have been all that dangerous. If he passed it away and got it intercepted, it wouldn't have been all that dangerous. But considering that he forced the D to keep track of him for a half a minute, get dizzy, lose their focus, and found his opening and took advantage of it, I would say that you could call the play somewhat dangerous.

Delicious Dangles*

When everyone in the thread is praising him and you're the only one who thinks it was a bad play that should really tell you all you need to know.
Yep. It sure does tell me all I need to know. :laugh:

Must be a knowledgeable bunch. :sarcasm:

You don't think the part where he scored the GWG was dangerous?
No, it wasn't. It was cool and all that it went in, but after all of that time and effort and missed opportunities in a 4 on 4 setting, that was an extremely low percentage shot to take.

It's cute that people attack me for looking at a realistic evaluation of the play instead of oohing and ahhing like a brain dead zombie following the hoard. Everybody always talks these days about playing the proper percentages for long term success, but apparently when playing bad percentages leads to a goal for a young overhyped Detroit player, who cares and I'm just jelly, amiright?

:rolleyes:

For the record, this has nothing to do with Detroit. I have never understand the fascination with "wasting time by myself by skating around the outside of the zone in circles" plays, and even just a few days ago, I was showing the ridiculousness of a similar play to another team's fanboys. Would say the same thing if a player on my team did it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yep. It sure does tell me all I need to know. :laugh:

Must be a knowledgeable bunch. :sarcasm:

No, it wasn't. It was cool and all that it went in, but after all of that time and effort and missed opportunities in a 4 on 4 setting, that was an extremely low percentage shot to take.

It's cute that people attack me for looking at a realistic evaluation of the play instead of oohing and ahhing like a brain dead zombie following the hoard. Everybody always talks these days about playing the proper percentages for long term success, but apparently when playing bad percentages leads to a goal for a young overhyped Detroit player, who cares and I'm just jelly, amiright?

:rolleyes:

It was a screened shot from below the top of the circles. He saw an opening far side and put it in.

I'm sorry, but that is not an extremely low percentage shot. And even if it was, he scored without it hitting anything in front because he placed the shot well.

The Senators did a good job of keeping his options limited, which really only gave him the option to defer to another player along the boards. By moving around, he was able to wait for the Senators to make a mistake (which they did when Nyquist and Smith switched and Cowen backed up way too far) and score a goal.

PricePkPatch*

Yep. It sure does tell me all I need to

That would be a.very clever portemanteau of "herd" and "board". Too bad that word is already used by something entirely different.

fmax

Jun 11, 2011
Winnipeg
It's amazing how Detroit keeps finding these players later in the draft.
They are the ultimate example that you don't have to tank to get superstars.
Just need great scouting and some luck as well.

Nyquist - 121st overall
Tatar - 60th overall
Howard - 64th overall
Kronwall- 29th overall
Zetterberg - 210th overall
Datsyuk - 171st overall
Lidstrom - 53rd overall
Fedorov - 74th overall
Draper - $1 :)

Delicious Dangles*

It was a screened shot from below the top of the circles. He saw an opening far side and put it in.

I'm sorry, but that is not an extremely low percentage shot. And even if it was, he scored without it hitting anything in front because he placed the shot well.
Let me ask you this then. If it was JUST the shot, would people be talking about it? No, because the shot itself was nothing special. It was a meh shot from a meh area that the goalie should have easily had but wasn't in good position and didn't see. Nothing special about it.

Add in the skating in circles, and suddenly people are talking about goal of the year? What exactly did all that skating in circles accomplish, when the actual sequence of scoring the goal is initiated at the blueline with everybody in the same places, and nobody tired out except Nyquist.

The ONLY time he gets any separation is when he makes that quick turn a millisecond before the shot, and that could have been done at literally any time. It did not require the skating around like a chicken with his head cut off for 30 seconds.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm going to be the ***** here and say that IMO that was kind of selfish. Multiple opportunities to dish the puck...

Why are we supposed to halt the beauty of the game? That was beautiful and one of the reasons why we love hockey. If he passes to the point what are the odds there is a goal. Sometimes hanging onto the puck is the best weapon. It was a work of art. Enjoy it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let me ask you this then. If it was JUST the shot, would people be talking about it? No, because the shot itself was nothing special. It was a meh shot from a meh area that the goalie should have easily had but wasn't in good position and didn't see. Nothing special about it.
It wasn't just the shot.

Add in the skating in circles, and suddenly people are talking about goal of the year? What exactly did all that skating in circles accomplish, when the actual sequence of scoring the goal is initiated at the blueline with everybody in the same places, and nobody tired out except Nyquist.
The majority of people don't consider it the goal of the year.

Being able to maintain possession while being pressured in the offensive zone should be considered a positive. You don't see it that often because it is hard to do that, especially when trying to get behind the net.

The ONLY time he gets any separation is when he makes that quick turn a millisecond before the shot, and that could have been done at literally any time. It did not require the skating around like a chicken with his head cut off for 30 seconds.

Literally any time? That's not true at all.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Ottawa fan here. Listen, in a 4 on 4 situation, skilled players can elect to hang onto the puck in the offensive zone with exponentially lower consequences, because time and space are overly available.

Add in the fact that it's overtime where Detroit already has a point on the board, and why not go all in if you have the confidence and match ups to do so?

Furthermore, the high slot shot location, compounded with traffic, gives Nyquist a strong scoring chance, contrary to your assessment.

As far as I'm concerned, he used his brains by exploiting the Ceci turnover and leveraging his possession skills against a tired and confused Ottawa bunch to generate a high percentage chance, which he of course buried. And I was screaming at the TV the whole time.

Your preferred alternative seems to include heavy perimeter cycling as opposed to a skilled player making a skilled play.

Delicious Dangles*

Being able to maintain possession while being pressured in the offensive zone should be considered a positive. You don't see it that often because it is hard to do that, especially when trying to get behind the net.
Actually I see it all the time. You just usually don't see it solely from one player, because usually a player will recognize that the better play is to utilize his teammates to open up more space for himself, tire out the opposition, open up passing lanes, and get the goalie moving.

Or it's maintaining possession for a long time in a tight battle along the boards, which is more impressive.

It's not difficult to maintain possession when the other team is content pushing you to the outside into non-dangerous areas as you skate around the extra room you have because of the 4 on 4 situation.

Literally any time? That's not true at all.
There were countless opportunities to do a split second shift and shoot, if that's all he had planned from that whole sequence. To me it seems like he's trying to get a lane to the net, can't get anywhere so he keeps skating in circles waiting for it to open up, it doesn't so he just walks in from the blueline and shoots towards the net. And luckily, it goes in.

Nothing about that entire sequence benefitted Nyquist, or contributed to the eventual goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad