Friedman: Nylander XIII - Officially on the block, per Friedman (ALL NYLANDER TALK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Only qualm with your statement is the implication that them being #2 in the Central division 16 games into the season is indicative of moves they would, or wouldn't make.

That's like saying because Montreal is 7th in the league, they would quickly relinquish their 1st round pick this year for an improvement.

Sure, Minnesota has had a fantastic start --- but Dallas's entire defensive group is dead, Winnipeg still exists, Colorado has been hot and could threaten as the season goes on, and STL has had an abysmal start but is still one of the cup favourites if they can shore up their goaltending.

Chicago is a dud, so I wouldn't worry much about them --- but it is as likely Minnesota gets bumped into a wild card spot as it is they start #2 in the Central at this point.

In terms of making the playoffs? I have little to no doubts they make it; outside of Calgary and San Jose the entire Pacific division is a joke, and Vancouver is grossly overperforming.

And before you or anyone else starts arguing about standings and this that or the other, the relative ease of Minnesota's schedule hasn't hurt them either.

It's not even close to saying that. Selling great roster players for futures and giving up your first round pick for roster players are as opposite as you can get.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I'm pretty sure the reason Toronto likely won't give him that is because the CBA says they can't.
Nylander isn't eligible for any sort of trade protection for 4 more years. Can only happen in UFA eligible seasons.

That was... kind of the point boys.

You doubt wrong.

Then send over Brodin lmao

You are out of your mind with Toffoli or Vilardi. Rob Blake came out multiple times and said both of those guys were not being traded.

Tatar < Toffoli
Suzuki < Vilardi

But the difference isn't that insane --- We also got a 2nd back in the deal --- I get why people think it wouldn't happen, and I agree the value probably isn't fair for LA, but that deal isn't very far off from being a possibility.

Muzzin/Martinez+1st (Kupari)+prospect for Patches with extension.

Muzzin > Toffoli
Kupari + 1st + Prospect = Vilardi

Again, wouldn't be surprised if the return you're suggesting was it, but I don't really think that deal is much better for LA. Vilardi has known back issues, and I think that does lower his value. Not saying that the kid isn't worth a ton, but I don't think he's the untouchable piece LA fans on these boards think he is.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Honestly, this isn't a great look for Dubas as a rookie GM

He went out and signed the #1 UFA, which is great and all, but you gotta take care of your own guys first. The problem in Leafland wasn't needing another scorer, it was getting some help on the backend. They spent the money in the wrong place, paying a ton for Tavares, and now have no D and Nylander is about to get traded.

Reactions: yababy

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Only qualm with your statement is the implication that them being #2 in the Central division 16 games into the season is indicative of moves they would, or wouldn't make.

That's like saying because Montreal is 7th in the league, they would quickly relinquish their 1st round pick this year for an improvement.

Sure, Minnesota has had a fantastic start --- but Dallas's entire defensive group is dead, Winnipeg still exists, Colorado has been hot and could threaten as the season goes on, and STL has had an abysmal start but is still one of the cup favourites if they can shore up their goaltending.

Chicago is a dud, so I wouldn't worry much about them --- but it is as likely Minnesota gets bumped into a wild card spot as it is they start #2 in the Central at this point.

In terms of making the playoffs? I have little to no doubts they make it; outside of Calgary and San Jose the entire Pacific division is a joke, and Vancouver is grossly overperforming.

And before you or anyone else starts arguing about standings and this that or the other, the relative ease of Minnesota's schedule hasn't hurt them either.
This has gone of on the weirdest tangent, and no longer has anything to do with the topic.

Bottom line: no team that has any sort of playoff aspirations is going to sell off an important, non-UFA roster player for a prospect in the middle of the season. The current standings, fluid as they no doubt are, just underscore that for the Wild. There is nothing about the team right now that indicates they'd even consider such a move.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

He went out and signed the #1 UFA, which is great and all, but you gotta take care of your own guys first. The problem in Leafland wasn't needing another scorer, it was getting some help on the backend. They spent the money in the wrong place, paying a ton for Tavares, and now have no D and Nylander is about to get traded.

Might not have been the best use of 10m of cap space. Signing Nylander for ~7m per long term, and still having an extra 3m to help sign or bring in a defender might've been more wise. I guess time will tell.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
It's not even close to saying that. Selling great roster players for futures and giving up your first round pick for roster players are as opposite as you can get.

No, the point is that just because a team starts off hot, doesn't mean that their identity changes.

Montreal is a rebuilding/retooling team that needs to get younger, faster, and more talented --- they shouldn't even think about moving their pick unless the player coming back is a Nylander type

Minnesota is a bubble team, that while will almost guaranteed make the playoffs, is in no position to win a cup as it stands currently --- moving roster players who are expendable for guys who are a year out isn't a horrible idea.

Minnesota is the 2nd oldest team in the NHL in terms of Average Age; behind the Wings and slightly ahead of the Sharks.

The only two logical options for Minnesota are to all-in to try and make this a contending roster, or slowly get younger while continuing to be a competitive team.

Staying the exact way they are now, is not going to get them anywhere.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Might not have been the best use of 10m of cap space. Signing Nylander for ~7m per long term, and still having an extra 3m to help sign or bring in a defender might've been more wise. I guess time will tell.

That's where I stand.

Tavares is a great player, but I think he used too much cap space in the wrong area. The rebuild was going very smoothly.

Reactions: yababy

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No, the point is that just because a team starts off hot, doesn't mean that their identity changes.

Montreal is a rebuilding/retooling team that needs to get younger, faster, and more talented --- they shouldn't even think about moving their pick unless the player coming back is a Nylander type

Minnesota is a bubble team, that while will almost guaranteed make the playoffs, is in no position to win a cup as it stands currently --- moving roster players who are expendable for guys who are a year out isn't a horrible idea.

Minnesota is the 2nd oldest team in the NHL in terms of Average Age; behind the Wings and slightly ahead of the Sharks.

The only two logical options for Minnesota are to all-in to try and make this a contending roster, or slowly get younger while continuing to be a competitive team.

And there is where your point comes crashing down.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

If Nylander was willing to sign for what he's worth, this wouldn't be an issue. Even if Tavares hadn't signed, there's no way in hell Dubas is paying Nylander 8M+. He deserves mid to high 6s. Dubas can't be caving to his demands with two superior players up for new contracts next year.

Reactions: authentic

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The time to make those sorts of moves is in the offseason. And even then they're not going to trade Spurgeon for Poehling.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Tavares is a great player, but I think he used too much cap space in the wrong area. The rebuild was going very smoothly.

They rushed it, and they put themselves in a position where they have a year or two to win before they have to start playing budget-juggler.

Worst of all? Their defense is bottom 15, and that is including the fact they have one of the best guys in the league with Morgan.

Oh yeah, and they are only gonna get worse because they're going to lose Hainsey and Gardiner

Don't worry though; Liljegren and Sandin are going to take over ... heh.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
They rushed it, and they put themselves in a position where they have a year or two to win before they have to start playing budget-juggler.

Worst of all? Their defense is bottom 15, and that is including the fact they have one of the best guys in the league with Morgan.

Oh yeah, and they are only gonna get worse because they're going to lose Hainsey and Gardiner

Don't worry though; Liljegren and Sandin are going to take over ... heh.
They have room to sign both Gardiner and Nylander(assuming he takes a realistic cap hit), and sign Matthews and Marner next season. Hainsey seems to be done. They'll have their most important players locked up long-term, and a group of prospects that can step in for anyone who needs to be let go for salary reasons.

Don't let your disdain for the Leafs impact your grasp on reality.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Poehling is the "Charlie Coyle" in the (hypothetical) Burns-equivalent Spurgeon deal, if that type of deal was ever to materialize.
That I could maybe see, though the add(s) would have to be better than the 2nd mentioned earlier. And it still seems like a weird move for us to be making unless Leipold has a real change of expectations.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
That's where I stand.

lol

Right because we missed out on all of those key players that would have fixed our defence

Instead we got another #1C for absolutely nothing, resulting in a surplus of quality forwards who can be moved to address an actual weakness

Cotton

May 13, 2013

@Nabrules

Sure they will, it'll just be a team with enough quality depth at the position. Or a team in desperate enough need of what Nylander brings.

People like to think they will steal him for a quantity package of crap and question marks but that's not going to happen, Dubas needs to hit a home run for the sake of his reputation, so any notion he'll be traded to the Atlantic division, for RNH or forwards in general, for draft picks (especially protected ones) along with B prospects and depth pieces, are out to lunch.

The only real thing we know is that Carolina and LA are interested and that Carolina specifically is "all in". Regarding a potential trade with them it was Bob Mackenzies opinion it would take Pesce+/++ or Slavin (possibly in a bigger deal), now tell me that crap philly proposal is better than what Carolina has to offer.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Dubas needs a calculator
Just ATROCIOUS and BRUTAL GM'ing here by the young Dubas.

Let's get a geezer in Marleau and then go pay a decent star in tavares a boat load of money and "HOPE" Nylander takes less to stay. A young and budding star.

Nylander is probably thinking, 'Geez, they go and sign those 2 to boat loads of money and they are trying to cheap out on me"

He's human. He probably feels unwanted, slighted, etc. Great way for Shanny and Dubas to handle one of their young core pieces.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Ha, Ha. Nylander would be overjoyed to be traded to Vancouver and get out of that Sh!thole TO. Edmonton maybe not so much.
Yeah. I honestly see Vancouver really speeding this rebuild up and passing TO. They would really speed it up with Nylander and pass TO next year.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Ha, Ha. Nylander would be overjoyed to be traded to Vancouver and get out of that Sh!thole TO. Edmonton maybe not so much.
If all he cares about is money, I can see a guy like Benning overpaying him... so maybe Vancouver is a good option.

If he cares about having a chance at the cup?

lol

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If Nylander was willing to sign for what he's worth, this wouldn't be an issue. Even if Tavares hadn't signed, there's no way in hell Dubas is paying Nylander 8M+. He deserves mid to high 6s. Dubas can't be caving to his demands with two superior players up for new contracts next year.

If Nylander was willing to sign what the Leafs now have available for him to accept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad