Friedman: Nylander XIII - Officially on the block, per Friedman (ALL NYLANDER TALK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Count me as soemone who also thinks the leafs messed up by throwing money on Tavares and expecting the rest of the youth to "fall in line" salary wise.

I also think the Nylander camp is taking fulll advantage of Dubas beeing a Noob Gm.

With Mathews being proven to be injury prone and made out of glass, i wouldnt be so quick to get rid of Nylander.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Montreal is in a position to trade its 2nd best defenseman and its top C prospect for a winger that is going to command 7 M + long term.

If Montreal is out of the playoff race at the trade deadline, I could see them sending Petry + for Nylander, not before. And that + would be probably a winger from the roster (Hudon or Lehkonen) to make room for Nylander. Of course, if it is Lehkonen Leafs would have to add a bit.

Habs get: Nylander, 2nd in 2019
Leafs get: Petry, Lehkonen

But all of this makes no sense since Toronto is going to trade Nylander in the next days and Montreal is #3 in the Conference.
We have no idea if Nylander will be traded although Friedman was on hockey night in Canada tonight saying a source who is not Dubas told him that Nylander was on the block. I don't know about the Petry +Lehkonen. It was a good deal for both teams before. This is not.

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly, this isn't a great look for Dubas as a rookie GM

He went out and signed the #1 UFA, which is great and all, but you gotta take care of your own guys first. The problem in Leafland wasn't needing another scorer, it was getting some help on the backend. They spent the money in the wrong place, paying a ton for Tavares, and now have no D and Nylander is about to get traded.
Oh, you spin the Tavares signing to be a bad thing. We have D ... 4th in GAA going into tonight's game. I don't know how much it has changed giving up 5 tonight, but not by much. If Nylander gets traded,it may be for more D . Nice try though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Just ATROCIOUS and BRUTAL GM'ing here by the young Dubas.

Let's get a geezer in Marleau and then go pay a decent star in tavares a boat load of money and "HOPE" Nylander takes less to stay. A young and budding star.

Nylander is probably thinking, 'Geez, they go and sign those 2 to boat loads of money and they are trying to cheap out on me"

He's human. He probably feels unwanted, slighted, etc. Great way for Shanny and Dubas to handle one of their young core pieces.

You need to check your facts, Dubas didn't sign Marleau.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
This whole "signing Tavares was a mistake" narrative is hilarious.

Adding Organizational Value

Doesn't matter what the return is on Nylander. Toronto added more of it by attracting JT.

Feb 24, 2017
Cool. I recommend having a few franchise players. It's fun to watch a team with more than one.
Does franchise player mean the best player on the team? And if you have multiple players who would be the best on other teams you have multiple franchise players?
I guess my Kings have two then in Anze and Drew.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I hope if Dubas isn't blown away with a trade by Dec. 1st that he goes to Nylander and calls his bluff and says sign here or miss the season.
It's like the new kid at a school that picks a fight with the toughest kid, it tells all the other kids not to **** with him.

Feb 24, 2017
I hope if Dubas isn't blown away with a trade by Dec. 1st that he goes to Nylander and calls his bluff and says sign here or miss the season.
It's like the new kid at a school that picks a fight with the toughest kid, it tells all the other kids not to **** with him.
You do not need another drink.

Do you need to go to bed.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Honestly, this isn't a great look for Dubas as a rookie GM

He went out and signed the #1 UFA, which is great and all, but you gotta take care of your own guys first. The problem in Leafland wasn't needing another scorer, it was getting some help on the backend. They spent the money in the wrong place, paying a ton for Tavares, and now have no D and Nylander is about to get traded.
it sounds like you think making Nylander expendable so he can be traded for defensive help was a good thing, but you're weirdly trying to spin it as a negative?

Reactions: Scott Stevens

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Matthews, Marner and Nylander should have all been locked up to long-term contracts by now. It's hilarious to me they aren't. No other team in the league would let their young superstars reach the end of their rookie deals unsigned liked that. Clearly the Tavares contract is making all of them re-adjust their monetary value to the team.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Matthews, Marner and Nylander should have all been locked up to long-term contracts by now. It's hilarious to me they aren't. No other team in the league would let their young superstars reach the end of their rookie deals unsigned liked that. Clearly the Tavares contract is making all of them re-adjust their monetary value to the team.

You know what's funnier? Not having a single player worth signing to a long term contract.

Reactions: indigobuffalo

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017

It's not up to the org. Matthews had an injury riddled sophomore season so it doesn't make sense for him to sign until he proves even more. Marner hadn't yet put a full season together so once again it didn't make sense to sign yet.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Ken Holland did that with some promising young stars such as Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Jonathan Ericsson etc., sometimes it is best to 'wait and see' before you inadvertently get locked into having a mediocre team for half a decade.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ken Holland did that with some promising young stars such as Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Jonathan Ericsson etc., sometimes it is best to 'wait and see' before you inadvertently get locked into having a mediocre team for half a decade.
Not even close to the same scenario. Good try, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad