Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I can’t believe this is taking so long. Why do you want someone on your team who is only playing for $. Doesn’t that hint something bad? I very highly doubt he is being lowballed. Trade him for a solid D and get a good haul for him and win the damn cup to shove it in his face
So hypothetically if Matthews holds out for 13 mil...do you let him walk? He's only in it for the money right?

He thinks he's worth it, so why in the hell would he sign for less? You take what you're worth because he could quite easily tear his ACL in game one after taking a bridge deal or a pay cut and never be the same player.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I completely understand wanting to get paid and having a long term contract incase a severe injury occurs. What I don't understand is in the same off season of getting John Tavares for free, and having sat across Marleau in the dressing room who is 40 and still without a cup, I just don't get that part. Doesn't he see he's in a fortunate situation and winning a cup isn't easy? Losing Matthews for a month isn't good, and if it ends up they sort out a contract, but end up missing an important seed or home ice by a couple points and lose. That's not something you want permeating in the locker room, because they'll all point to Nylander. But I am a sharks fan, so I really have to applaud DW for being aware of this years off season and not re-signing Marleau to that contract. It also makes me wonder if Toronto had any idea about Tavares or if Lou was aware but since he wasn't going to be there long term decided to handcuff the leafs considering their young stars will be needing contracts.

Am I missing something or am I on the money?

Winning the cup isn't that important to young players. They just want to get paid and score goals. In their minds they think they have the rest of their careers to win a cup.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Winning the cup isn't that important to young players. They just want to get paid and score goals. In their minds they think they have the rest of their careers to win a cup.
That’s absurd. While I know you want to get your money’s worth, I’m sure Nylander wants a cup too.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
That’s absurd. While I know you want to get your money’s worth, I’m sure Nylander wants a cup too.

Yeah , sure everyone wants to win a cup. But they aren't sacrificing shit for it. If it comes it will come. It's pretty obvious. Money aside, Toronto is the perfect place for Nylander to play. Doesn't sound like that's as important as getting his contract.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If he wants 8 mil why don't they sign him to an 8 year deal at 6.75M and structure it so its like a bridge the first 3 years and a high paying one the back 5?

First 3 years - $4.25M
Last 5 years - $8.25M

Both sides essentially get what they want. I feel like Nylander's ceiling as a player is worth 8M. Its essentially him getting the bridge then getting the pay day after. I guess you could say that he could just sign the 3 year part and see what he's worth after. But this was just an idea that popped in my head.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
If he wants 8 mil why don't they sign him to an 8 year deal at 6.75M and structure it so its like a bridge the first 3 years and a high paying one the back 5?

First 3 years - $4.25M
Last 5 years - $8.25M

Both sides essentially get what they want. I feel like Nylander's ceiling as a player is worth 8M. Its essentially him getting the bridge then getting the pay day after. I guess you could say that he could just sign the 3 year part and see what he's worth after. But this was just an idea that popped in my head.

If that was what Nylander wanted he woulda signed long ago. From what I been reading on here, it seems like he wants more than 6.75M

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
If that was what Nylander wanted he woulda signed long ago. From what I been reading on here, it seems like he wants more than 6.75M
My point was to structure it in a way where he essentially gets what he wants unless he's not interested in a bridge deal which would make my idea a non-starter.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I know it's business but man i hate it when players/agents try to squeeze every cent on their first RFA deal. Maybe it's just me but i think you got to respect the rules and accept the fact you have no leverage.

Right now 60 point wingers, as FA's, are worth ~7M bucks in the open market. That 7M includes players leverage and the choice to go where ever he wants. Nylander isn't a FA however, which means to his team he's not worth that much. It's more like 6M.

Now it's fair on these long-term deals to think about potential but at the end of the day that's just what it is. There's no guarantees he'll become a PPG player down the line, especially when he's already had one of the better centers to play with. Teams usually don't pay that much more based on potential, if any, and rightfully so, it's always a gamble and one they don't have to take. It's up to the Leafs to up this sum a bit or not.

So at this moment, on a 4 year deal that doesn't buy UFA years, 6-6.5M is a good and fair number.

Then you factor in the UFA years on a, say, 6 yr deal, and 7M becomes a fair amount.

My point is, unless it's a max term deal which i don't think is on the table, depending on the years anything between 6-7M is completely fair and something the player should just happily take. There are teams out there that aren't even willing to give fair deals to their RFA's and choose to maximize the leverage that they have. Just be happy you're getting paid like you should.

Now i understand the reasoning if Toronto is pushing for 5-6M with winning in mind, if you're not on board with that mindset then you're not and that's understandable. But the reports of 8M are absurd and send a bad message to the entire league at this stage of the players career.

ELC you make a set amount. As an RFA you make less than market value compared to FA's. As a FA you can ask for whatever you want. It shouldn't be that difficult.

I always remember when Zlatan Ibrahimovic wanted to make it big and got in contact with one of the better agents in the world. The first thing this agent asked him do you want to be the best player you can be, or the highest paid player you can be. Zlatan said the former no question. And the rest is history.

Unfortunately Willie seems to choose the latter, which as a 22 year old player with a limited pedigree and zero accolades in the NHL is alarming to say the least.

Last edited:

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Leafs can't afford him at 7m, let alone 8. No chance they match an 8m deal over 5 years

They can easily afford him it just takes away wiggle room. The Leafs aren't paying him 7 or 8 mil cuz he aint worth it not because they don't have it.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I think they'll find a way to make a bridge deal work. He wont be traded unless they're offered a real good package, and I think Nylander would rather stick around a few more seasons then roll the dice with one of the other 30 teams

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
They can easily afford him it just takes away wiggle room. The Leafs aren't paying him 7 or 8 mil cuz he aint worth it not because they don't have it.

"Afford" is a flexible word. Just as you may be able to "afford" a Ferrari with a job that nets 100k a year, that doesn't mean you can actually AFFORD it. The same goes for the Leafs with their forwards - sure, they can fit them all in under the cap, but at what cost? When the Leafs are in full contend mode (which could be as early as this year), they WILL be wanting to spend some of that money on defense and their bottom 6. Spending near 40m on 4 players is not a recipe for postseason success.

The Capitals, for reference, are spending around roughly 30m on their top 4 paid forwards. If Nylander wants Kuznetsov money, good luck.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Nylander has the toolbox to be an elite player for years. If Leafs don't want to pay him what his worth will eventually be, it doesn't mean he should sign for less. We all see now that Pastrnak's worth is way higher than his contract and same goes for Kuznetsov and same goes for Rielly and on and on it goes. And Leafs signed a guy who's been playing like a superstar for almost a decade while being paid like 2nd pairing dman (Johnny T). Nylander doesn't want this scenario for himself and rightfully so.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
ideally 9
If we could get both Marner and Nylander at 7 with Matthews at 11 that would be ideal given the circumstances.
ideally 9.5 for Mathews ,till he proves he can play 80 games .I think once nylander gets over hes closer to kadri and farther from Mathews on the pecking order it .ll work out .

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
So hypothetically if Matthews holds out for 13 mil...do you let him walk? He's only in it for the money right?

He thinks he's worth it, so why in the hell would he sign for less? You take what you're worth because he could quite easily tear his ACL in game one after taking a bridge deal or a pay cut and never be the same player.

Of course not, Matthews is a completely different level player and the best on the leafs. They don’t need Nyl, is is probably their 4th best. They would arguably do better if they traded him and got a D imo.

There should be one offer on the table, and if he doesn’t sign by American Thanksgiving he is traded. If there’s is no good trade then keep him out of the NHL where he will make much much less. I wonder how much he would feel he is worth then.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Would be four 1st unless you offer a short term contract which the Leafs would match

Looks like it's a; 1st, 2nd & 3rd if you keep the contract to 5 years or less.
20181031_123831_zpsqjyxnhiz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad