Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Looks like it's a; 1st, 2nd & 3rd if you keep the contract to 5 years or less.
20181031_123831_zpsqjyxnhiz.jpg

The issue with that, is that if you are giving him a 5-year $8-million contract, that is a massive overpayment. You are buying no UFA years. IMO, that is the contract that Dubas walks away from - and is extremely risky for any team making that offer sheet.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If he wants 8 mil why don't they sign him to an 8 year deal at 6.75M and structure it so its like a bridge the first 3 years and a high paying one the back 5?

First 3 years - $4.25M
Last 5 years - $8.25M

Both sides essentially get what they want. I feel like Nylander's ceiling as a player is worth 8M. Its essentially him getting the bridge then getting the pay day after. I guess you could say that he could just sign the 3 year part and see what he's worth after. But this was just an idea that popped in my head.

The problem is that this is essentially the cap structure that Nylander is spurning, the "bridge years + expensive years" structure is inherent in all these 6-7 million dollar contracts, it's the reason why the av's comeout where they do.

Nylander is either balking bridge years bringing down the av or valueing the non bridging years at 9+

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
To summarize, there is no realistic contract here that Leafs wouldn't match that doesn't involve 4 1sts coming to the leafs.

If there was, Nylander would be on the ice for someone.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Wellll not really...if you say they upgraded nylander for Tavares, well you also lost JVR and bozak in there too....leafs fans were so sure they can fit everyone under the cap. There’s no way. Someone’s gotta go. Reasonable fans have been saying this for a while. You have a great team obviously but somethings gotta give. Kardi? Gardiner? Marleau? I’d say marleau is most likely and would make the most sense. Never knew why you guys gave him the 3rd year. That was a mistake

Except of course they added other guys (or more specifically allotted them more minutes to fill the gaps of those guys). Know who is on pace to outscore JVR's career high? Kapanen. Know who is also 100 times better defensively than JVR? Kapanen. Just like was stated in the offseason.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So hypothetically if Matthews holds out for 13 mil...do you let him walk? He's only in it for the money right?

He thinks he's worth it, so why in the hell would he sign for less? You take what you're worth because he could quite easily tear his ACL in game one after taking a bridge deal or a pay cut and never be the same player.

Matthews isn't the 6th to 7th most important piece. Slight difference.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What offersheet is in that range that you think leafs won’t match?

But It's a more complicated than what you suggest. Other teams don't want to overpay, in salary, either. For example Carolina, they Aho and Teravainen arguable better players than Nylander up for their RFA contracts next summer. Do you really think they want 20 goal scorer on their team making 7.5m?
Same with the Avs, they have league top point getting with Ratanen up for his RFA contract next summer.
So we can go back and forth on what is a fair trade or even the compensation picks for Nylander. The biggest issue still is, are teams willingly to pay Nylander much more in salary than what the Leafs are offering.

Reactions: Dustin

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
When they showed that during the broadcast, I laughed so hard. What a great costume.

I wonder if they showed it in the arena as well, because when the camera then went to Dubas in his suite you could see him laughing. Maybe it was just timing, but it came across that way on the broadcast.

Agree. Great costumes.

Reactions: SvechNecas

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So hypothetically if Matthews holds out for 13 mil...do you let him walk? He's only in it for the money right?

He thinks he's worth it, so why in the hell would he sign for less? You take what you're worth because he could quite easily tear his ACL in game one after taking a bridge deal or a pay cut and never be the same player.

Let him walk? What does that mean? He is still under Leafs NHL control for four more years. Does Matthews really think he is worth 13m? Hart winner McDavid makes 12.5m, Doughty next year makes 11m next year. 100 point Kucherov 9.5m on his new contract.
Even Matthews thinks he worth 13m, unless he receives an offer sheet, the Leafs don't have sign if that demand is too high. What are Matthews options unless he receives an offer sheet? Its either the Leafs are about 11m or Europe for 2m

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I wonder if they showed it in the arena as well, because when the camera then went to Dubas in his suite you could see him laughing. Maybe it was just timing, but it came across that way on the broadcast.

Agree. Great costumes.
I can't remember who tweeted it, but one of the Leafs press guys says Dubas absolutely saw it on the big screen and was laughing about it.

Last edited:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Everyone begging for Leafs to be in cap hell with massive contracts forgetting that this will greatly affect their soon-to-be RFAs.

Everyone else already managed to sign their own RFA's this offseason, though.

The only one left is Nylander, which is his own fault but Dubas can't be too happy right now. I mean, July 2nd he comes out and says the Leafs would have no problem getting everyone signed, no need to trade anyone, etc., etc., and yet he still hasn't managed to sign the first name on the list. Two more on the way next year, both already better players than Nylander (and the gap is growing, IMO).

That said, hopefully for the Leafs' sake Marner and Matthews have a better concept of their own value and don't also have an agent screaming for more money and refusing to negotiate.

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

The only one left is Nylander, which is his own fault but Dubas can't be too happy right now. I mean, July 2nd he comes out and says the Leafs would have no problem getting everyone signed, no need to trade anyone, etc., etc., and yet he still hasn't managed to sign the first name on the list. Two more on the way next year, both already better players than Nylander (and the gap is growing, IMO).

That said, hopefully for the Leafs' sake Marner and Matthews have a better concept of their own value and don't also have an agent screaming for more money and refusing to negotiate.
That wasn't what he meant. He means the numerous upcoming RFAs that will be using Nylander as a comparable, or even a floor for their own deal. Boesser, Aho, Rantanen, Horvat, Marner, Matthews...etc are all players that will greatly be affected by this. If Nylander gets $8/year, all those players are going to want more (cap has risen, they have outproduced him).

I guarantee many GMs around the league have their fingers crossed that Dubas "wins" this battle of wills.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

This summer a lot of the higher-end RFAs signed bridge deals. I'm not speaking to good RFAs (Larkin etc.), when the great players (mentioned in the post I quoted) get to the end of their ELC they will look at Marner/Nylander etc and gauge their value that way. So all the people saying Marner will get 11M and the Leafs are screwed, will eat crow when these players (who HF unanimously agrees are better, apparently) get more.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That wasn't what he meant. He means the numerous upcoming RFAs that will be using Nylander as a comparable, or even a floor for their own deal. Boesser, Aho, Rantanen, Horvat, Marner, Matthews...etc are all players that will greatly be affected by this. If Nylander gets $8/year, all those players are going to want more (cap has risen, they have outproduced him).

I guarantee many GMs around the league have their fingers crossed that Dubas "wins" this battle of wills.

I'd be really, really surprised if Dubas folded like a cheap lawn chair and gave him that much money. I still think Nylander's losing more leverage by the day. It's only hurting his own value by holding out for this long, and who wants to pay that much for a malcontent?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
This summer a lot of the higher-end RFAs signed bridge deals. I'm not speaking to good RFAs (Larkin etc.), when the great players (mentioned in the post I quoted) get to the end of their ELC they will look at Marner/Nylander etc and gauge their value that way. So all the people saying Marner will get 11M and the Leafs are screwed, will eat crow when these players (who HF unanimously agrees are better, apparently) get more.

Marner is a player I could see getting $8mil, if not higher. Doubt he'll get double-digits, though.

I just don't think Nylander's at the same level, regardless of what his agent actually thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad