Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except of course they added other guys (or more specifically allotted them more minutes to fill the gaps of those guys). Know who is on pace to outscore JVR's career high? Kapanen. Know who is also 100 times better defensively than JVR? Kapanen. Just like was stated in the offseason.

Pace after 10 games is useless.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That wasn't what he meant. He means the numerous upcoming RFAs that will be using Nylander as a comparable, or even a floor for their own deal. Boesser, Aho, Rantanen, Horvat, Marner, Matthews...etc are all players that will greatly be affected by this. If Nylander gets $8/year, all those players are going to want more (cap has risen, they have outproduced him).

I guarantee many GMs around the league have their fingers crossed that Dubas "wins" this battle of wills.

Agents always like to use comparable contracts, so you are right that GMs are hoping Dubas "wins". Thing is though, some of those guys are going to get that contract even if Nylander doesn't and the issue will be the same. Aho, for instance, is going to get paid regardless of Nylander. He's the face of the franchise, the owner has publicly stated he's untouchable and that he has a "crush" on Sebastian Aho, etc.. Unless Aho does like Slavin, and just wants to be there and leaves some money on the table, he's going to get whatever he wants IMO. Canes don't have the depth (or fan base) to let him hold out.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lol no kidding, Marner is easily my favourite Leaf, but I think 8-9 mil is more realistic for him.

I pegged them in the $6.75 Nylander, $8.5 Marner, $10.5 Matthews range. Obviously those won't be exact but I don't think they'll be far off. Matthews probably being the biggest question mark IMO.

Reactions: NDiesel

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Pace after 10 games is useless.

True. Fortunately we have Kapanen's entire career to date to judge by and everything in his career based on ages and levels played at tells us that what we are seeing isn't really a surprise. It's precisely why some of us predicted it before this offseason.

In fact you'll find I predicted (barring injury) he'd be a 20+ goal scorer within the next 2 years and when coupled with how good he is defensively would more than make up for JVR's goals for goals against contribution. It's also precisely why I said I wanted JVR traded for assets last year.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If Nylander scores 20 with Matthews, what does he become without Matthews...Connor Brown? Brown was another 20 goal scorer manufactured by Matthews.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Someone mentioned Slavin earlier - I would add significant assets to Nylander to make that happen but there is no way Carolina considers it unless they believe they have better pieces on defence to fill that hole and they want to give Aho another weapon.

What a dream that would be though....Rielly-Slavin for the next decade.

Reactions: sens13

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If Nylander scores 20 with Matthews, what does he become without Matthews...Connor Brown? Brown was another 20 goal scorer manufactured by Matthews.
Eberle scored more points playing with Barzal than Mcdavid. Does that mean Barzal>Mcdavid? Some players just mesh well with other players better.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Agents always like to use comparable contracts, so you are right that GMs are hoping Dubas "wins". Thing is though, some of those guys are going to get that contract even if Nylander doesn't and the issue will be the same. Aho, for instance, is going to get paid regardless of Nylander. He's the face of the franchise, the owner has publicly stated he's untouchable and that he has a "crush" on Sebastian Aho, etc.. Unless Aho does like Slavin, and just wants to be there and leaves some money on the table, he's going to get whatever he wants IMO. Canes don't have the depth (or fan base) to let him hold out.
Absolutely, but I think what Nylander signs for can significantly move the bar for what a player like Aho wants/thinks is reasonable. When the agent goes to Carolina with a number, it'll be based on similar players - even if the Carolina GM will say yes to anything they ask for.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Someone mentioned Slavin earlier - I would add significant assets to Nylander to make that happen but there is no way Carolina considers it unless they believe they have better pieces on defence to fill that hole and they want to give Aho another weapon.

What a dream that would be though....Rielly-Slavin for the next decade.

You are likely correct. IMO, Slavin is almost as untouchable as Aho on the Canes. Plus, on the LHD side, the Canes aren't nearly as deep as the RHD side. Canes have CDH and Fleury who are the only guys NHL ready behind Slavin. On the RHD side, they have Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TVR and even arguably McKeown on the RHD side. Even in the system, it's Bean on LHD vs. Martin and Fox on the RHD side.

I've learned to never say never, but I'd be completely blown away if the Canes traded Slavin right now.

Reactions: SvechNecas

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think this long drawn out contract negotiation was a necessary step for Dubas to go through. I don't think we can fault Dubas for trading Nylander at this point.

Having valuable cap assets will win you a cup, not overpaying your stars.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

The thing is...I don't see how any GM can win.

Unless Nylander accepts a reasonable bridge deal, there is no win situation.

If things stay like this, either Nylander sits the whole year or Dubas gives him what he wants. GM's lose.

If Dubas trades Nylander for fair value, it means another team gave Nylander the money he wants, it also means Nylander got 8M/year and thus GM's lose.

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
Leafs fan here..Whats the scoop on Pesce? Would that be a fair swap for Nylander? He does seem to check off a lot of boxes..23 years old..right shot..5 more years at 4mil.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Leafs fan here..Whats the scoop on Pesce? Would that be a fair swap for Nylander? He does seem to check off a lot of boxes..23 years old..right shot..5 more years at 4mil.

Pesce is very good defensively, but doesn't provide much offensve. Some Canes fans feel he has untapped offensive potential, but I don't see it. Still, if he was on the Leafs, I could see him getting ~30+points just because he'd be playing with much better players and would get more chances to get assists. He's got an ok shot from the point, not bad, but not great either.

Defensively, he's very solid and does a good job at shot suppression. He's positionally sound, usually makes good decisions (when to pinch, taking the right angle, when to fall back, etc..) and is strong along the boards. He's a good skater, but to me, his stride is more choppy and not as fluid as guys like Slavin, or Rielly. He's a good passer and moves the puck well, but just ok handling the puck (you won't see him going around guys or end to end).

His contract is excellent for what he brings and can easily play against top competition. He's a very stabilizing presence.

IMO, I think it would be Pesce+ for Nylander, but many Canes fans disagree with that. Of course, that is contract dependent. If Nylander is going to get $8M a year, that lessens the value of him.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Nylander will never be more than a 20-25 goal scorer as long as he remains a completely perimeter player. Guy has 30-40 goal potential if he ever wants to go for rebounds, go for tips, go to the front of the net, etc. Hard to say if he will ever make that a part of his game. I'm not talking become a physical grinder. But Matthews for instance scores at a 40 goal pace because he scores all kinds of weird looking goals in addition to his wristers.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

I wouldn’t do it 1-1 if I was Leafs but he would be a great fit

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm guessing that Nylander sees Marner as his peer, and wants to get the same amount of money. If Dubas could sign them both for 8m long term, who says no?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I'm guessing that Nylander sees Marner as his peer, and wants to get the same amount of money. If Dubas could sign them both for 8m long term, who says no?

It wouldn’t be the worst thing but I think it should be 7 for Nyl at most and 9 for Marner if anything

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm guessing that Nylander sees Marner as his peer, and wants to get the same amount of money.
If he does, then he's wrong, and he has no justification. Marner has equaled or surpassed Nylander at every opportunity (both regular seasons and both playoffs) since entering the league, despite being a year younger, less physically ready, and having to create his own offense instead of playing with Matthews.

And now that we have Tavares, and Marner doesn't have to create all of his own offense, we are seeing just how much better he is.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he does, then he's wrong, and he has no justification. Marner has equaled or surpassed Nylander at every opportunity (both regular seasons and both playoffs) since entering the league, despite being a year younger, less physically ready, and having to create his own offense instead of playing with Matthews.

And now that we have Tavares, and Marner doesn't have to create all of his own offense, we are seeing just how much better he is.
Maybe so, but I can see Nylander having a point. On paper, Marner is in the ballpark with Marner. Also bigger, with similar skills, and faster. I can see him thinking he is worth as much. Certainly can see it eating at him if he thinks that Marner will be paid 2M/yr more in less than a year. What if he signs at 6/6.5M, then Marner signs at 6/8M, and in two years Nylander is producing the same, or even more? I can see him believing that he can, and not wanting to be in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad