Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I can’t believe this is taking so long. Why do you want someone on your team who is only playing for $. Doesn’t that hint something bad? I very highly doubt he is being lowballed. Trade him for a solid D and get a good haul for him and win the damn cup to shove it in his face

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
No deal in November means Leafs in trade mode.

Bridge deal means Leafs will have time, but still in trade mode.

Fair long term deal or it's bye bye Willy Nye.​

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
I can’t believe this is taking so long. Why do you want someone on your team who is only playing for $. Doesn’t that hint something bad? I very highly doubt he is being lowballed. Trade him for a solid D and get a good haul for him and win the damn cup to shove it in his face

why employ someone who wants to be paid what he believes hes worth at his job*

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
A person who only works for $$$... what a concept.
I should've worked for free all these years and never tried to negotiate a higher salary for myself. What the f*** was I thinking?!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
why employ someone who wants to be paid what he believes hes worth at his job*
Have you ever had to hire anyone? Some people have an inflated idea of what they are worth. The person had to find work somewhere else. The company I was with at the time offered a competitive salary and package at the time. His only hope was to settle for much less, perhaps in the low hundreds more a year at another firm. However, there is always a trade off.

thinkinfeller

Jun 20, 2010
It’s more than likely that Nylander is asking high to lower his trade value because he wants to stay in Toronto.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I am loving how long this is dragging out

First few games leaf fans were saying we do not need him
Now he might be useful

I can not wait will see how this affect MM and AM contract talks in the off season

still love the leaf fans who made it clear signing ALL their guys and improving their D would not be a problem

To date it hasn't been? First overall. Still in control of all their players and salaries. Still developing their own d-men in house.

As it stands right now, all they have done is upgrade from Nylander to Tavares. Next question is do they add Nylander or move him for one of the other pieces you speak of, while still having the benefit of having upgraded at forward? It's a lovely position to be in when a guy of Nylander's pedigree is 6th or 7th on your impact list.

It's only a problem so far for people who think it is "win this year or bust". Management seems quite in line with most of the team's fans. We're after many years of contention, not blow it up for one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Can someone fill me up to speed here?

What type of contract is Nylander looking for here? How much are the Leafs and him disputing over?

Reactions: Devonator

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

What type of contract is Nylander looking for here? How much are the Leafs and him disputing over?

Unknown TBH. Rumor is Nylander is asking for 8+million per yr, unknown what the Leafs are offering. We have no idea who is being unreasonable or being more unreasonable. Of course 8+ is too much, but we don't know if the reason why Nylander hasn't budged off his starting point is.....no clue if the Leafs are low balling him or usage issue or he just wants out of TO. Both sides are silent, pressure is building for both sides......someone will blink soon. Likely a bridge is coming

Reactions: DFAC

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario

I don’t think the exact numbers have ever been confirmed, but the belief is that Nylander is looking for a long term deal somewhere around 8 mil per year and the Leafs don’t want to pay him that. The sense is that he doesn’t want to be lapped by Matthews and Marner who’s deals are up next season. I think Nylander is a really good player but even as a Leafs fan I don’t think he’s shown enough to be worth that high of an AAV.

Reactions: DFAC

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Which Dman?
Hampus lindholm maybe? Anaheim wont want him, he was a hold out and doesnt that hint at something bad? I highly doubt he was getting low balled, they wont want a dman just playing for $$$$$.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

That's the only reason any of these guys play on any of the teams they play for. It's their job. Tavares took a "discount" to go home, but, come on. He wasn't going to go there for $5m a year.

It's a zero-sum world out there. The upsides and downsides of a hard cap league. If Toronto didn't have so many high profile RFA's(current or upcoming), like if Nylander was one of 2 instead of 3, maybe the contract is already done. If they didn't have other holes on the team they'll have to fill over the next 1 or 2 years, maybe the contract is already done. A player that doesn't want to leave, but also wants his share of the constricted pie. He has to look out what's best for him, and the organization has to look out what's best for it, and here we are. It's just business.

Fedorov missed almost an entire season over money, after having just won the Cup, eventually coming back to Detroit(although clearly willing to leave), and then the Wings won the Cup again a few months after he came back. And the pie wasn't even constricted back then.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
A trade seems likelier and likelier as days go by.

Whatever it is, this needs to get over with soon. Tired of it

Reactions: Devonator

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I don’t think the exact numbers have ever been confirmed, but the belief is that Nylander is looking for a long term deal somewhere around 8 mil per year and the Leafs don’t want to pay him that. The sense is that he doesn’t want to be lapped by Matthews and Marner who’s deals are up next season. I think Nylander is a really good player but even as a Leafs fan I don’t think he’s shown enough to be worth that high of an AAV.

Leafs should try and shop Nylander then. No way he can get 8m with the Matthews and Marner deals coming up too. You would be looking at 30m+ tied up in 4 players.... which is just insane.

Trade Nylander for a stud dman on cheap deal... both sides win. Nylander gets paid and the Leafs get a good dman back and can sign MM and AM next year. Someone mentioned Hampus Lindholm as an example, not sure who else they could target though. Maybe one of the Minny dmen?

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Leafs should try and shop Nylander then. No way he can get 8m with the Matthews and Marner deals coming up too. You would be looking at 30m+ tied up in 4 players.... which is just insane.

Trade Nylander for a stud dman on cheap deal... both sides win. Nylander gets paid and the Leafs get a good dman back and can sign MM and AM next year. Someone mentioned Hampus Lindholm as an example, not sure who else they could target though. Maybe one of the Minny dmen?

Ducks would never consider trading Hampus (who is signed long term to a nice deal) for a winger who is refusing to sign and demanding 8+ million. Until Nylander moves off 8+ million isn't going to be easy to trade him (no GM would give him that) and the Leafs aren't going to sign him........most likely a bridge incoming bc of the impass.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
To date it hasn't been? First overall. Still in control of all their players and salaries. Still developing their own d-men in house.

As it stands right now, all they have done is upgrade from Nylander to Tavares. Next question is do they add Nylander or move him for one of the other pieces you speak of, while still having the benefit of having upgraded at forward? It's a lovely position to be in when a guy of Nylander's pedigree is 6th or 7th on your impact list.

It's only a problem so far for people who think it is "win this year or bust". Management seems quite in line with most of the team's fans. We're after many years of contention, not blow it up for one year.
Wellll not really...if you say they upgraded nylander for Tavares, well you also lost JVR and bozak in there too....leafs fans were so sure they can fit everyone under the cap. There’s no way. Someone’s gotta go. Reasonable fans have been saying this for a while. You have a great team obviously but somethings gotta give. Kardi? Gardiner? Marleau? I’d say marleau is most likely and would make the most sense. Never knew why you guys gave him the 3rd year. That was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad