Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The rage over what amounts to a $400k over payment is telling. Certain people seem to take it personally that the Leafs didn’t make the “greedy little *****” sit.

I'm sure when Marner wants 8.4 million instead of 8 million there will be a similar outrage.

Nylander isn't a 61 point player, he's a 20 goal scorer!

:laugh: ... Marner is on pace for 18 goals.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
500k or 8% of what he should be making. If everyone that comes up for contract gets an 8% bump then assuming a cap of 80m is like 6.4million dollars OR Jake Gardiner as a contract. That's the correct way to look at this stuff.

Where did you get the notion that everyone will be paid more than mgmt feels they deserve? Sounds like some chicken little shit right there.

Definitely not the correct way to look at stuff but you do you

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Overpay on the Leaf part but Dubas made the decision to make the current year part of a going for it today strategy. Still under 7 going forward which is meh but Nylander was willing to sit out the season over it.....

He really was.

Really not a fan of that stupidity but maybe its going to work out for us. Time will tell.

Unless he plays lights out the next couple of years, the Dubas win with the contract is that Nylander is going to be super tradable.

Nylander realizes he has to step up to the plate here or he is gonna get turfed. He goes into that corner and pulls up and we are all going to let him have it, including the coaches and GM.....and Nylanders gotta take it.

Still voted both sides win as this team is just super stacked now for this year. Let's go out and win the cup do everyone comes out looking amazing.

Reactions: PromisedLand

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If Dubas was willing to go this high he should have just given him 7m to start the season and not waste the teams time and quibble about all this. It's not a great deal, GMs don't like the deal either but it's better than the Eichel and Drai overpays. McMoney is a different category
I agree , this deal could have been done before the season and that's my biggest beef with mgmt . They kept holding on to about 6m per for far too long and now they look weak when this could have all been avoided .

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Every one of Nylanders "comparables" had FAR better final elc years.

So is the same thing going to apply to Marner? If he scores 25 goals/90 points this year, do we have to pay him as other teams pay their 35 goal/100 point players?

Or does that apply just to Nylander? And if so... good luck trying to explain that to our upcoming rfa's.

Just using the logic of that other poster man. 20 goals is all he said. Marner is on pace for 18. That will give him 3 elc years of 19,22,18 can’t even call him a 20 goal scorer.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Tampa has only $5.6 mill left in projected cap space for next year with Point needing a new contract, and half of their blue line unsigned currently.

Winnipeg has $23 million in projected cap space with Laine, Connor, Trouba, to sign and Myers as a pending UFA.

Things aren't as rosy is it might seem with those two teams.

Not to mention that neither one of those teams have the same microscope on them as the Leafs. The media loves scare-mongering about this teams upcoming cap crunch since they can’t talk about how bad the team is anymore for clicks, so they hammer that point for us but no one else.

Try starting a thread about the upcoming contracts and cap situations of Tampa and Winnipeg and you might get 50 responses. The Leafs one already has 175~ in just over 16 hours.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Yep marner under $7m for sure right. I mean he is pace for only 18 goals this year. Phew no cap trouble then. If marner keeps his pace he will have only 1 20 goal season so nylander>marner am I right?
Are you right? Emphatic' No Guy'...you be wrong. If this is your tack direction ,you are headed for a rocky coastline!
Do you really wanna support the argument that other agents aren't gonna point to Willys contract at negotiation time and sit back and smile?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Where did you get the notion that everyone will be paid more than mgmt feels they deserve? Sounds like some chicken little **** right there.

Definitely not the correct way to look at stuff but you do you

Precedence is a thing. The GMs and Burke/Cherry all brought this up because they actually know what they are talking about. Why would players take less if they have a GM willing to give more when you go about things a certain way. Your way of rationalizing all this is to suggest that players don't want the most money they can get. I think that most players want the money first. I think statistically I am right too.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
But would there not be savings in year 2-6?
Without those savings, what is it?
Savings is a bad word, but you get what I am saying.
For 50 threads we were talking what the cap hit would look it in years 2-6 without massive signing bonuses, and he didn't get a massive signing bonus in the first year.
I am truly confused on this, I'm not a cap guy at all.
It's just the way that they presented it.

Instead of saying Nylander signed for "7.5x6, which equals a 6.96 cap hit years 2-6", they just said he signed for 6.96x6.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm sure when Marner wants 8.4 million instead of 8 million there will be a similar outrage.

Nylander isn't a 61 point player, he's a 20 goal scorer!

:laugh: ... Marner is on pace for 18 goals.

Agree on the goal part and why I say it would be nuts to pay him $10M AAV.

However pretty sure most of Leaf nation and Leafs' mgmt would be thrilled to get Marner under 8.5.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Are you right? Emphatic' No Guy'...you be wrong. If this is your tack direction ,you are headed for a rocky coastline!
Do you really wanna support the argument that other agents aren't gonna point to Willys contract at negotiation time and sit back and smile?

Nope but you said and I quote “$7m for a 20 goal scorer” your words dude. Marner is on pace for 18 so in his 3 elc years he will only have 1. You and I both know what you wrote was stupid marner is worth more obviously, but I’m just following your stupid logic

Reactions: ULF_55

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Nylander might be traded. I doubt it, considering the consistent message from management. But he might. But if it happens, it will be because the trade in itself is beneficial to the Leafs, not because their whole cap structure falls apart due to 400K, or out of spite because the negotiations were tough.
Sounds like something Bob McKenzie says -- never bold, always safe.

In other words no one knows shit what's going to happen next.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Good deal for Nylander, average (not poor) deal for the Leafs.
The team made the greater consessions IMO.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Instead of saying Nylander signed for "7.5x6, which equals a 6.96 cap hit years 2-6", they just said he signed for 6.96x6.

Ohhhh so your a petty person. All that matter his the $7m caphit not the extra $500k which is outside the cap essentially. If the leafs could pay nylander $40m a year but the cap hit is $7m only a petty person would care about anything other than the cap.

All that we as leafs fans care about is the caphit of $7m

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think pretty much this is why we will trade Nylander. It'll be simply put back on what Shanny said. We need people to take a little less but we can make the best of it if you want the money and out.

I do agree with you..

After Shanny and Dubas went public with their "We before Me" Leaf players are expected to take less and buy into the Leafs picture yada yada yada .... "we know what we're asking of our young leaders here" etc.

Nylander defied Leafs management and forced them to to overspend from $6.5 mil their apparent max to $7 mil and set the new bar for all future 20 goal 60 point players ..

That was something Shanny was on record saying Leafs would not be interested in doing of setting new upper limits. (which they have now done). Players that don't buy into the Leafs plan will not be Leafs in the long run.

So the prolonged negotiation + contract structure + overspending by Management = Bridges burnt

Hard to imagine Shanny is not both happy Nylander is back :nod: but angry :madfire: at losing the negotiations and now its almost a forgone conclusion that Nylander will become expendable and traded eventually as a result.

If he isn't angry and doesn't trade Nylander then his early words ring empty about buying into the Shanaplan or move on if you don't.

Reactions: thewave

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Ok, so if the contract was signed in the summer, it would be 7.5? That's kinda what I thought.
So he was signed to 7.5, not 7. Due the money he lost already it prorates to just under 7mil. Gotcha.
If he were to sign for 7, then the cap hit would be around 6.5
That's a pretty big over payment to be honest.
Good luck getting Marner under 9 now, I was hoping for 8, but can't see that anymore.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ohhhh so your a petty person. All that matter his the $7m caphit not the extra $500k which is outside the cap essentially. If the leafs could pay nylander $40m a year but the cap hit is $7m only a petty person would care about anything other than the cap.

You didn't follow the thread I'm having with that guy. Nobody is being petty. He asked how it works, and I explained it to the best of my understanding. You're overreading things.

Reactions: Walshy7

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I do agree with you..

After Shanny and Dubas went public with their "We before Me" Leaf players are expected to take less and buy into the Leafs picture yada yada yada .... "we know what we're asking of our young leaders here" etc.

Nylander defied Leafs management and forced them to to overspend from $6.5 mil their apparent max to $7 mil and set the new bar for all future 20 goal 60 point players ..

That was something Shanny was on record saying Leafs would not be interested in doing of setting new upper limits. (which they have now done). Players that don't buy into the Leafs plan will not be Leafs in the long run.

So the prolonged negotiation + contract structure + overspending by Management = Bridges burnt

Hard to imagine Shanny is not both happy Nylander is back :nod: but angry :madfire: at losing the negotiations and now its almost a forgone conclusion that Nylander will become expendable and traded eventually as a result.

If he isn't angry and doesn't trade Nylander then his early words ring empty about buying into the Shanaplan or move on if you don't.
Not to mention Nylander gets UFA in 6 years, not 7 or 8. Win Nylander.
Plus he suffered no loss for missing 2 months as the Leafs receive little to no cap bonus years 2-6.
Win Nylander.
This counts as a year.
So next year is a 5 year deal to UFA.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The rage over what amounts to a $400k over payment is telling. Certain people seem to take it personally that the Leafs didn’t make the “greedy little *****” sit.

I am over the costly AAV knowing he's crazy trade bait in July.

Willy will get his trade and the Leafs should get excellent return. And while Dubas waits for what he wants, Nylander can help the team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ok, so if the contract was signed in the summer, it would be 7.5? That's kinda what I thought.
So he was signed to 7.5, not 7. Due the money he lost already it prorates to just under 7mil. Gotcha.
If he were to sign for 7, then the cap hit would be around 6.5
That's a pretty big over payment to be honest.
Good luck getting Marner under 9 now, I was hoping for 8, but can't see that anymore.

Marner and matthews won’t be able to use the same loophole if they hold out. It only worked this way due to having a ton of cap space this year and structuring it aonthe 2-6 equal $7m (rounding up due to whinging from other poster) they are welcome to sit too but there won’t be a deal with this kind of “overpay” for them

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

It matters because it sets the bar for other players. Any player using Nylander will say 7.5 not 7.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Don't love it but I'm glad it is over.

Nylander has set a precedent that holding out will get you a better contract as an RFA.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Nope but you said and I quote “$7m for a 20 goal scorer” your words dude. Marner is on pace for 18 so in his 3 elc years he will only have 1. You and I both know what you wrote was stupid marner is worth more obviously, but I’m just following your stupid logic
Oh,you're like that? Well ,yes I stand by what I wrote. If you are going to use an anomaly like Marner instead of a player that is a primary shooter instead of a set-up man then I guess you are too dense to grasp my point!
There will be many more players who likely do not deserve 7mil/yr ,but Willys contract will be used as a prime example. Is this lost on you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad