• Good deal for the Leafs; Poor deal for Nylander

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
To extend your point to the latest cap myth I've been reading today, the "big" cap hit in year 1 would not be an issue if Matthews or Marner sat out. The Leafs would only need the "cap hit years 2 through x" (as people like to call it) available in year 1.

Is that true?

Why do they bother listing the higher year 1 cap hit then?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Poor for the leafs. Puts us closer to EDM BUF payment structure than the TB WPG BOS one. I would rather be grouped with TB and WPG especially when talks of contracts handed out are involved.

Reactions: socko

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Fair deal for both sides.

After next year's crop of RFA's he will look massively underpaid.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Well my position from the start was Nylander would get Pastrnak contract + Cap inflation.

Pastrnak got 6 years X $6.67 mil ($40 mil) and Nylander got 6 years X $6.96 mil ($42 mil) because the cap went up $5 mil.

I thought from the summer on that Leafs would be able to get Nylander at ~$7 mil AAV per.

So it happened to turn out as I expected it would if that is what you mean.

PS. Many Leaf fans didn't agree with me claiming Nylander didn't have the #'s to support that case, but you have to factor in all things considered and in the end the outcome was as predicted.

You thought 6.5m-7m would be too low for a long term deal for Nylander.

"Because Nylander wouldn't sign a long term deal at $6.5-$7 mil per season. IMO.

You're looking at this strictly from Leafs perspective and what is best for the team, but it takes two to tango, and so Willie's agent would rather go for a bridge deal for 3 years in hopes that his clients contract is >> $7 mil on his next one after the bridge deal is complete. Nylander is smart enough to know if he is pinned on Matthews line as his wing-man for years to come he is going to be far more statistically successful than $6-$7 mil.

Players like Kucherov listed as an example earlier took a bridge (3 years X $4.76 mil) and then exploded statistically and now getting $9.5 mil per X 8 years. Players don't want to lock in long-term if they believe in themselves and think years down the road they would regret that long-term deal and leaving millions on the table as a result.

Buying away UFA years from a player years in the future cost > than current comparables, particularly if the Cap ceiling keeps rising.

Pastrnak only took 6 years at $6.7 mil to be a UFA at completion so that he could cash in on UFA overspending in years 7 & 8.

PS. I wouldn't even be surprised at all if this negotiation extended into training camp and a 1 year deal for only this upcoming season is the outcome, and then they revisit this next summer on a long-term one."

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I think people are making a bigger issue of this than what it is. Nylander getting overpaid by 300-400k can be worked around. You get rid of a Connor Brown or you give up an asset to move a Zaitsev or a Marleau. Like others have states his contract will be mostly paid by next July and will be very attractive to lower budget teams. Brown is replaced by Grunstrom and we promote guys like Lily or Sandin to our roster. We are a better team today with Willy in and that's all that matters to me.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think he's worth $7. If we didn't have Tavares or Matthews, he would be our #1 center. I think he would be the #1 center on a number of teams in the NHL right now. We're just lucky that we have literally two of the top 5 centers in the league.

Our team is going to be a lot more dangerous now... Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander all in the top 6 is unstoppable.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nylander getting overpaid by 300-400k can be worked around.

I find this pretty arbitrary. This isn't an exact enough science to say he's overpaid by such a small and specific amount. That's a 4% difference. You can't predict his effectiveness and worth down to that margin.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
In on 1st page of another 100000 post thread with useless banter about Willy being traded next year.

None of these forwards are going anywhere. That's how we win the cup (s).
I think it will depend on how the playoffs go this year.

If our offense isn't able to outscore our defensive problems, Nylander will likely be traded on July 1st imo. His contract is structured in a way to get the most actual value from him at that time.

Of course, that depends on a lot of things. If Nylander puts on a clinic this year (as well as in the playoffs), then he makes himself untradeable, and the leafs will move other players.

But if he goes back to his 20 goal/60 point scoring self, 5 mil x 5 (his July 1st money value) is still a decent contract for him for teams that don't care about cap hits, and will have a lot of trade value.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Poor for the leafs. Puts us closer to EDM BUF payment structure than the TB WPG BOS one. I would rather be grouped with TB and WPG especially when talks of contracts handed out are involved.

Tampa has only $5.6 mill left in projected cap space for next year with Point needing a new contract, and half of their blue line unsigned currently.

Winnipeg has $23 million in projected cap space with Laine, Connor, Trouba, to sign and Myers as a pending UFA.

Things aren't as rosy is it might seem with those two teams.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I think people are making a bigger issue of this than what it is. Nylander getting overpaid by 300-400k can be worked around. You get rid of a Connor Brown or you give up an asset to move a Zaitsev or a Marleau. Like others have states his contract will be mostly paid by next July and will be very attractive to lower budget teams. Brown is replaced by Grunstrom and we promote guys like Lily or Sandin to our roster. We are a better team today with Willy in and that's all that matters to me.

Yup they obviously have a plan going forward
Not going to worry about cap issues right now

Reactions: Melo Meds

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
At the end of the day it’s a fair deal. If this was signed in September no one would be batting an eye. People are upset because they didn’t want a fair deal. They wanted the player that sat out for two months to be punished.

In another month everyone is going to forget about it. Nylander, Marner, and Matthews are all going to be Leafs for a very long time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the fairness of the deal will only be known when we see the level of production we get from this new 7m asset.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the deals at the high end of the comparable's once you throw out the outliers (Drais/Ehlers) and while the team wanted a discount and tried up until the end at least Shanny/Dubas were smart enough to put there pride aside and cave to get him in the lineup

funny how hard a few are trying to spin this as a win for Dubas

this is also pretty much the exact ask from Willie that was reported a short time ago

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
the deals at the high end of the comparable's once you throw out the outliers (Drais/Ehlers) and while the team wanted a discount and tried up until the end at least Shanny/Dubas were smart enough to put there pride aside and cave to get him in the lineup

this is also pretty much the exact ask from Willie that was reported a short time ago

If Dubas was willing to go this high he should have just given him 7m to start the season and not waste the teams time and quibble about all this. It's not a great deal, GMs don't like the deal either but it's better than the Eichel and Drai overpays. McMoney is a different category

Reactions: hotpaws

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I don't really see this as winning or losing for either side. Seems pretty good for both to me. In the end, the Leafs get a cap hit that's closer to their range when it matters, and Nylander gets actual dollars closer to his.

I'm not suggesting it was, but if dragging this out was the plan all along, that would have been a pretty solid plan IMO.

Reactions: Duckrider

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

In your eyes how would Dubas win the deal given the circumstances? That is, given the lengthy hold out until the end?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I've nagged on Nylander's faults. However I see his contract being a very fair deal. The way that fair deal came to play? Either this negotiating process brought both sides together
to a happy middle.... Or, was this the plan all along?

As per Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
$10,277,778$6,962,366$6,962,366$6,962,366$6,962,366$6,962,366
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You can see the benefit of all this, front loading Nylander's contract this season when they have plenty of cap space.
Was this Dubas working the system? Did he have Nylander's camp in on it even?
Maybe this only saves $552,568 a season on the cap, but when it comes down the quality of 3rd/4th liners
even, many a good team has had to cut their bottom string guys to the point the club can't compete.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
I think it will depend on how the playoffs go this year.

If our offense isn't able to outscore our defensive problems, Nylander will likely be traded on July 1st imo. His contract is structured in a way to get the most actual value from him at that time.

Of course, that depends on a lot of things. If Nylander puts on a clinic this year (as well as in the playoffs), then he makes himself untradeable, and the leafs will move other players.

But if he goes back to his 20 goal/60 point scoring self, 5 mil x 5 (his July 1st money value) is still a decent contract for him for teams that don't care about cap hits, and will have a lot of trade value.

We're 5th in goals against right now. Yes, a big reason is Anderson, but overall the defense hasn't been bad. They are coming along nicely.

LOL @ defensive problems. I bet the other 26 teams in the league would like to have such defensive problems so they can be in the top five.

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We're 5th in goals against right now. Yes, a big reason is Anderson, but overall the defense hasn't been bad. They are coming along nicely.

LOL @ defensive problems. I bet the other 26 teams in the league would like to have such defensive problems so they can be in the top five.

This. The bad d core narrative is becoming less and less relevant

Reactions: TorMapleJays
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->