• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I'll ask again in the new thread....
With only 2+mil in bonuses this year, what is the actually cap hit?
Is it 7.5mil and knocked down to 7 by signing on Dec 1st without a ton of bonuses?
I know going forward it's 7, but if he signed the same contract in the summer it would be 7.5?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We're 5th in goals against right now. Yes, a big reason is Anderson, but overall the defense hasn't been bad. They are coming along nicely.

LOL @ defensive problems. I bet the other 26 teams in the league would like to have such defensive problems so they can be in the top five.

Well... I agree our defense is underrated.

But when it comes to offense, defense, and goaltending... wouldn't you agree that defense is our weakest link? If that weakness gets exposed in the playoffs (which, lets be honest, is quite possible), Nylander (and the way the contract is structured) makes the most sense to trade. As was said on hnic last night, having half our total cap taken up by 4 forwards could be a problem.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
If Dubas was willing to go this high he should have just given him 7m to start the season and not waste the teams time and quibble about all this. It's not a great deal, GMs don't like the deal either but it's better than the Eichel and Drai overpays. McMoney is a different category

It’s not that simple. If Nylander is asking $8 million and Dubas jumps to $7 million before the start of the season how do we know he accepts? It was reported that he still hadn’t budged off $8 million past the start of he season. Nylander probably takes it to the wire anyway and now you’re negotiating between $7 and $8 million.

Dubas had to stay low to Bring Nylander’s camp down into a reasonable range where they could start talking about a compromise. Some other agents have been talking about this the past few days. They think Gross’s very high original ask was irresponsible because it basically forced a holdout situation.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Funny how Nylander was a complementary player just a few ours ago and Now all of a sudden he is a Top 6?
Kapanen was a better fit with #34 ?? (This fanbase seriously....)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Poor for the leafs. Puts us closer to EDM BUF payment structure than the TB WPG BOS one. I would rather be grouped with TB and WPG especially when talks of contracts handed out are involved.

Do you think Laine and Connor and Trouba are going to take peanuts in Winnipeg. How about Point in Tampa?

The landscape is changing. The stars are skipping the 2nd contract

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Poor for the leafs. Puts us closer to EDM BUF payment structure than the TB WPG BOS one. I would rather be grouped with TB and WPG especially when talks of contracts handed out are involved.

You might want to wait on the WPG praise until you see what they have to do with Laine, Connor and Trouba.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd describe the signing as a mediocre contract for the Leafs, but one that still gives them everything they needed. For the player, this is obviously good. It's a lot of money, it's got long-term security, he gets to play and he gets to stay. But overall, it's neither problematic or great.

I've said it before. I have no idea how people think who says that he should have gotten $6.5M and that they need to trade him now. Even if that's the case, that's 400K overpayment. I wonder why the same posters barely acknowledge the Marleau or Zaitsev contracts, where you're talking about multi-million overpayments.

Nylander might be traded. I doubt it, considering the consistent message from management. But he might. But if it happens, it will be because the trade in itself is beneficial to the Leafs, not because their whole cap structure falls apart due to 400K, or out of spite because the negotiations were tough.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Funny how Nylander was a complementary player just a few ours ago and Now all of a sudden he is a Top 6?
Kapanen was a better fit with #34 ?? (This fanbase seriously....)

What? You take a few isolated opinions and attribute it to the entire fan base? Well played.

He’s top 6 period full stop

Reactions: Walshy7

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It’s not that simple. If Nylander is asking $8 million and Dubas jumps to $7 million before the start of the season how do we know he accepts? It was reported that he still hadn’t budged off $8 million past the start of he season. Nylander probably takes it to the wire anyway and now you’re negotiating between $7 and $8 million.

Dubas had to stay low to Bring Nylander’s camp down into a reasonable range where they could start talking about a compromise. Some other agents have been talking about this the past few days. They think Gross’s very high original ask was irresponsible because it basically forced a holdout situation.

We had all the cards. You should say 7m 6 years and it will not change no matter what even if you hold out. That's what the offer is and be done with it. Just be firm and assure him that every day he misses will be out of his pocket and not our no matter what. That's how you deal with that. It was an inexperienced negotiation and resolution. Gross won.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I'll ask again in the new thread....
With only 2+mil in bonuses this year, what is the actually cap hit?
Is it 7.5mil and knocked down to 7 by signing on Dec 1st without a ton of bonuses?
I know going forward it's 7, but if he signed the same contract in the summer it would be 7.5?
The cap hit is 6.96 years 2-6 (which everyone keeps rounding down to 6.9 for some reason).

Nylander only gets 41.7 mil throughout the contract. Divide it by 6, and we have the cap hit. Capfriendly right now lists it as though Nylander is actually getting all 45 mil, but I believe that is a mistake. Using their actual calculation they list in the faq, he'd only get the 41.7 mil. So they made a mistake somewhere.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'd describe the signing as a mediocre contract for the Leafs, but one that still gives them everything they needed. For the player, this is obviously good. It's a lot of money, it's got long-term security, he gets to play and he gets to stay. But overall, it's neither problematic or great.

I've said it before. I have no idea how people think who says that he should have gotten $6.5M and that they need to trade him now. Even if that's the case, that's 400K overpayment. I wonder why the same posters barely acknowledge the Marleau or Zaitsev contracts, where you're talking about multi-million overpayments.

Nylander might be traded. I doubt it, considering the consistent message from management. But he might. But if it happens, it will be because the trade in itself is beneficial to the Leafs, not because their whole cap structure falls apart due to 400K, or out of spite because the negotiations were tough.

The rage over what amounts to a $400k over payment is telling. Certain people seem to take it personally that the Leafs didn’t make the “greedy little bitch” sit.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Buying away UFA years from a player years in the future cost > than current comparables, particularly if the Cap ceiling keeps rising.

Pastrnak only took 6 years at $6.7 mil to be a UFA at completion so that he could cash in on UFA overspending in years 7 & 8.

The key point here is that due to birthdates Pastrnak sold off 2 years of UFA eligible years to get his 6 years and cash in, in years 7& 8 as a UFA and Nylander currently 22 only sold off 1 year of expensive UFA eligible status..

Despsite Nylander getting the Pastrnak deal + inflation for himself, the Leafs only ended up buying a single year of UFA from Willy on a similar 6 year deal.. The deal should have been 7 years on length for Dubas to get the same cap benefit Boston got on the Pastrnak deal as a comparable.

So the Nylander deal is really the Pastnak deal + cap inflation & -1 year less UFA purchased.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Now we gotta hope nylander lights it up. We need to get him to rack up the points (especially goals) to be similar in points per game with marner to bring down marners contract.

I hope willy gets 65 points to finish off the season. 30 goals and 35 assists. I know its not realistic but we have to be cheering him on the most as he can bring down marners contract now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yeah,for sure. 20 goal guy gets 7 mil....Agents be rubbin 'they're hands!

Yep marner under $7m for sure right. I mean he is pace for only 18 goals this year. Phew no cap trouble then. If marner keeps his pace he will have only 1 20 goal season so nylander>marner am I right?

Reactions: ULF_55

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The rage over what amounts to a $400k over payment is telling. Certain people seem to take it personally that the Leafs didn’t make the “greedy little *****” sit.

500k or 8% of what he should be making. If everyone that comes up for contract gets an 8% bump then assuming a cap of 80m is like 6.4million dollars OR Jake Gardiner as a contract. That's the correct way to look at this stuff.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It’s fair in the sense that he’ll be worth it and it’s better than him sitting out. Given that he had the extra RFA year however, compared to his peers this is a clear win for Nylander. But like I said, it’s better than him sitting out and he’ll be worth it so it’s fine. Happy to have him back.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
6.5 is what I would have paid him but if 6.9 got him in the lineup and not sitting out I was cool with it.

Gardiner is likely gone after this year and replaced within. Likely Rosen or maybe even Sandin the way he is playing. Hainsey will likely be gonna as well. That will save us 7 mil.

Marleau will be off the books after next season to save us 6 mil. Where things will get interesting is when Kapanen and Johnsson will need new contracts next year along with Matthews and Marner. Dermott will need a contract after next year. Hopefully the cap keeps going up

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
In your eyes how would Dubas win the deal given the circumstances? That is, given the lengthy hold out until the end?
the team plan of looking for a discount should have ended half way through camp instead of holding firm at around 6m per as was reported for as long as they did

players want to play and Gross doesn't have any history of holding out anywhere near this long so while i don't give a damn the team gave him a few hundred k more than say the comparable avg i do care they thought it was prudent to have him sit for 25 games

Shanny from his own experiences and Dubas if he was half as bright as people think he is would have won (from building the best team possible perspective) if they knew where this was heading and simply got this done before camp ended and yea i do believe this cap hit could have been done by the end of camp .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
8% overpays on all contracts add up to big money fast. That's why teams like TB and WPG fight to get a good first deal. They know it's a long term strategy for sustainable competitive edge. I am sorry if some of you don't get that.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yep marner under $7m for sure right. I mean he is pace for only 18 goals this year. Phew no cap trouble then. If marner keeps his pace he will have only 1 20 goal season so nylander>marner am I right?
Every one of Nylanders "comparables" had FAR better final elc years.

So is the same thing going to apply to Marner? If he scores 25 goals/90 points this year, do we have to pay him as other teams pay their 35 goal/100 point players?

Or does that apply just to Nylander? And if so... good luck trying to explain that to our upcoming rfa's.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The cap hit is 6.96 years 2-6 (which everyone keeps rounding down to 6.9 for some reason).

Nylander only gets 41.7 mil throughout the contract. Divide it by 6, and we have the cap hit. Capfriendly right now lists it as though Nylander is actually getting all 45 mil, but I believe that is a mistake. Using their actual calculation they list in the faq, he'd only get the 41.7 mil. So they made a mistake somewhere.

But would there not be savings in year 2-6?
Without those savings, what is it?
Savings is a bad word, but you get what I am saying.
For 50 threads we were talking what the cap hit would look it in years 2-6 without massive signing bonuses, and he didn't get a massive signing bonus in the first year.
I am truly confused on this, I'm not a cap guy at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad