Confirmed with Link: Nylander Re-signs: 6 Year x $6.9 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Last year it was Willie and Marner, this year Dermott and Andreas. It's a compliment really.

I’d be worried if I were on the leafs and babs didn’t give me tough love. He has done it to kappy too. Hasn’t done it tomleivo it seems haha. Good game or bad game leivo back in the box

Reactions: DarkKnight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You don’t sign a player to 6 years with the intent on trading him.

I get a few folks on here turned up their dislike of the guy due to the length of the negotiations. But odds are hes a Leaf for the duration

I hope so, having him under contract does make him more tradable though

Cost certainty has a lot of value in a hard cap league

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We will see how long he remains a Leaf. Unless Dubas can perform some magic with Mathews and Marner he will be traded is my opinion. 7m per in years 2-6. Plus 10m in year 1 is a lot of money for a 20 goal 60pt player.

I guess if both Marner and Matthews could be extended such that their contracts are up exactly when Tavares contract is done then I guess one can keep the band together for a while; and may be let willy walk as UFA or trade him when he is a pending UFA

:dunno:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Win-Win

He actually technically signed for $7.5 mil AAV (minus the roughly 0.5 mil AAV of his holdout), and the Leafs managed with the holdout savings to keep the cap hit under $7 mil ($6.996).

Technically almost meeting in the middle if the Leafs started at $6 mil AAV and he started at $8.5 mil AAV.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I hope so, having him under contract does make him more tradable though

Cost certainty has a lot of value in a hard cap league

It does. But i don’t think he was even going to sign a deal that WASNT tradeable.

I think folks thinking this = a trade will be out to lunch.

Reactions: Kiwi

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
We lost the negotiations, sorry you don't understand that.
Sorry but my team signed William Nylander. Just the tears from our rival fans, just the thought of adding Willy to our team. Just the thought of getting Willy for a reasonable cap hit for the next 6 years.

s-l300.jpg

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Worst analysis I have ever read on HFBoards.
MLSE is also paying Babcock $6M a year ... and it does not matter. MLSE has a billion dollars in the bank.

CAP is the ONLY thing that matters, and CAP hit is $6.9M for 6 years.

It's CAP hit that matters.
Lol. It is 6.996 which is 4000 less then 7m.

His average is 7.5 based on how much he sign for which is an overpayment for him.

Babcock could be paid 50m per year he is not part of the cap and you posted pure nonsense anyways.

What does how much money the Leafs have in the bank have to do with the salary cap? Absolutely nothing the same as your post.

Reactions: Sonny21

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
They got an asset they wanted at an acceptable caphit.

That’s all that matters. These contracts aren’t a zero sum game.
Just not getting it huh menz. Ill post it again:

As of today, we have 23.2 million to sign a backup goalie, gardiner, hainsey, oz, marincin, ennis, AJ, KK, Marner, Lindholm, matthews and leivo. But tell me again how we won this contract? lmao.

Thats the loss.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You don’t sign a player to 6 years with the intent on trading him.

I get a few folks on here turned up their dislike of the guy due to the length of the negotiations. But odds are hes a Leaf for the duration

Spot on. People assuming he’s traded this offseason I think are in for disappointment.

I mean anyone can be traded if cbj offered werenski and Dubois and a 1st for marner he’d be gone in a heart beat too. But this deal is no reason to rush him overboard

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yes an absolute home run for Gross. Exceeded all his player's comps and got him payed for sitting in Sweden.
There's no doubt there. The agent got a big win with a very high profile negotiation. Big money, player didn't lose a dime by sitting for over a quarter of the season, and it's a long term deal. Pretty ideal result.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Should the Leafs fire Pridham and hire you Mikey?
Gonna be too many firings with all these guys to sign:

as of today, we have 23.2 million to sign a backup goalie, gardiner, hainsey, oz, marincin, ennis, AJ, KK, Marner, Lindholm, matthews and leivo.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
6.9m is a very fair contract and in line with what he should be getting. Easy contract to trade if it ever comes to that and the possibility of it becoming a steal is pretty decent imo.

Good job Dubas, let's get this team together and make something special.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He's trying to point out to you that there's more than one way to skin a cat with the cap

Nylander is worth a 7M AAV after next season and probably increases his trade value

I'd also point out that were paying a crap ton of actual money this year so the dollar amount over years 2-6 is manageable for most teams

Yea he gets close to half his contract paid before July 2 2019......hmmmm wonder why they would do that?

You'd think the player would want the big bonus in the potential lock out year, but they decided to pay it all just as Marner and Matthews new deals commence.

It's almost like they are maximizing his value come July.

Nah, I'm sure they'll trade Brown if they need space.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
So right now, as of today, we have 23.2 million to sign a backup goalie, gardiner, hainsey, oz, marincin, ennis, AJ, KK, Marner, Lindholm, matthews and leivo. But tell me again how we won this contract? lmao.

LOL, only players on that list that matters is Matthews/Marner...the other are replaceble or an afterthought when they move on.

LEIVO, ENNIS, MARICIN, LINDHOLM, HAINSEY LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLz

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Sorry but my team signed William Nylander. Just the tears from our rival fans, just the thought of adding Willy to our team. Just the thought of getting Willy for a reasonable cap hit for the next 6 years.

s-l300.jpg

Im just going to keep posting this until people understand how dire it was to win this one:

as of today, we have 23.2 million to sign a backup goalie, gardiner, hainsey, oz, marincin, ennis, AJ, KK, Marner, Lindholm, matthews and leivo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Oh yeah, we got ****ed on the bonuses too, so tell me again @Cor how it wasnt all about the money?

What?

I don’t care about anything other than the cap hit being under 7. I don’t care how it’s structured or what he gets paid when.

Just that the cap hit started with a 6. And it did. I said that back in July, so I’m sticking with it now.

In the heat of the moment, yeah, I wish it was 6.7, but overall, 200K extra on a player like Nylander won’t cripple us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad