Value of: Nylander - Offer sheet

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Well, he’ll be signing as an RFA not a UFA. But, if I was the Leafs, I’d probably be happy to get him for 10.25M or so — basically a little more than Eichel. It basically, if he’s unwilling to take that amount to help keep the team together, I’d trade him. And I’d make sure that the media was given the impression that Matthews was a greedy, selfish SOB who had no interest in being a Toronto Maple Leaf.

And frankly, the same thing goes for Nylander and Marner. Set an upper boundary that works for the team and is fair to the player, and if the player wants more, trade them and slime them in the press.

And if any of them sign an offer sheet, take the picks and drive them to the airport. They’ve basically tried to force your hand and in my mind, that’s an insult — they’re saying that they don’t think you are negotiating fairly.

But surely, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander realized that by supporting the signing of Tavares, there’d be less money for them If not, they may be too stupid and/or greedy for me to want them on the Leafs.

Couldn't agree more

I wouldn't want those kind of selfish SOB's on my team, I would get a huge haul for them all lol

This won't happen though, every player wants to be on great teams that make great moves and keep contending every year, they would be pretty dumb

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Wow the Leafs have really gotten to you lol.

This won't happen, as much as you convince your little brain that it will. There's a reason offer sheets are rare. If you're going to cite ROR which happened several years ago I dunno what to tell you.

How's that reading comprehension working for you bud? Did I say the offer sheet will happen? No. I simply replied to the poster stating he'd never sign the 2 year back loaded offer sheet. There's every reason he should IF it were offered.

You didn't actually list a single reason why it wouldn't happen. I don't understand why you feel the ROR offer sheet is irrelevant, it's identical to what the original poster suggested. You state "there's a reason offer sheets are rare," then don't actually give me the reason. You have the debate skills of a tadpole.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How's that reading comprehension working for you bud? Did I say the offer sheet will happen? No. I simply replied to the poster stating he'd never sign the 2 year back loaded offer sheet. There's every reason he should IF it were offered.

You didn't actually list a single reason why it wouldn't happen. I don't understand why you feel the ROR offer sheet is irrelevant, it's identical to what the original poster suggested. You state "there's a reason offer sheets are rare," then don't actually give me the reason. You have the debate skills of a tadpole.

How often do you see offer sheets? If something happens very infrequently it is rare, sorry I thought you were smart enough to see that.

Just because you came up with reasons as to why it makes sense for him to sign it doesn't mean that's the way Nylander approaches it. Maybe he sees teams like the Oilers and realizes how good of a situation he has in Toronto? Until it happens you're reaching bro, and yeah I'm not trying to debate because the likelihood of a OS is slim to none.

Bfreezy40

Dec 17, 2014
Buffalo
If this happened and Arizona ends up with 1st or 2nd OA in 2019 i feel like the Leafs feel better about the Offer Sheet they gave Kessel oh so long ago.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why wouldn't he sign it? After the 2 year deal he'd have to be qualified at 9.75. So he'd be averaging 7.875 over the 2 years (more than he's currently worth), and be guaranteed huge money after, whether it's in the form of the qualifying offer (9.75), or he doesn't get the Q.O. and becomes a UFA at the age of 24.

We've already seen ROR get this type of backloaded offer sheet, so it's not unprecedented.

Unless you truly believe this narrative Leaf fans have built: "he wouldn't sign an offer sheet, why would he want to leave this team?"

Dustin Penner won a cup with Anaheim and signed an offer sheet that summer. He went from championship calibre team that plays in a warm weather city to bottom feeder team with some of the coldest weather of any NHL city. This is a business. Every agent in the league would recommend signing that offer sheet.
According to HFboards every player that isn't on the leafs is better than Nylander. Why offer sheet him and overpay while giving up draft picks?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Why wouldn't he sign it? After the 2 year deal he'd have to be qualified at 9.75. So he'd be averaging 7.875 over the 2 years (more than he's currently worth), and be guaranteed huge money after, whether it's in the form of the qualifying offer (9.75), or he doesn't get the Q.O. and becomes a UFA at the age of 24.

We've already seen ROR get this type of backloaded offer sheet, so it's not unprecedented.

Unless you truly believe this narrative Leaf fans have built: "he wouldn't sign an offer sheet, why would he want to leave this team?"

Dustin Penner won a cup with Anaheim and signed an offer sheet that summer. He went from championship calibre team that plays in a warm weather city to bottom feeder team with some of the coldest weather of any NHL city. This is a business. Every agent in the league would recommend signing that offer sheet.
Wake me up with a pm when this actually happens.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
According to HFboards every player that isn't on the leafs is better than Nylander. Why offer sheet him and overpay while giving up draft picks?

???
Why are you quoting me? Your post has nothing to do with anything I posted. Nor have I said anything about Nylander regarding value.

As far as my opinions on Nylander - from the time he was drafted and I had a chance to watch him, I've praised his skating, puck skills and shiftiness. I often said he reminded me of Patrick Kane in terms of skill set and playing style. I'm very much a fan of his game. He should be good for 60-70 points each year, which is a 1st line winger, which will cost 7+ million to sign long term.

Somehow I keep getting quoted and misinterpreted in this thread. All I did was quoted a Leaf fan saying he'd never sign a 2 year backloaded offer sheet. So let me simplify this for all the people lacking reading comprehension:

Do I think a team will offer sheet him? Not sure, could happen, but I'd say unlikely.

Do I think a team would offer a 2 year backloaded offer sheet like a previous poster suggested (9.75 in 2nd year)? No. Unless you know the 1st isn't going to be in the lottery and treat the 2 year deal as a rental (because who in their right mind would qualify him at 9.75???)

Do I think Nylander would sign a 2 year backloaded deal? Yes. He'd be a moron not to. He'd either need to be qualified at 9.75 or be a UFA at 24. Why wouldn't he want to get paid?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
???
Why are you quoting me? Your post has nothing to do with anything I posted. Nor have I said anything about Nylander regarding value.

As far as my opinions on Nylander - from the time he was drafted and I had a chance to watch him, I've praised his skating, puck skills and shiftiness. I often said he reminded me of Patrick Kane in terms of skill set and playing style. I'm very much a fan of his game. He should be good for 60-70 points each year, which is a 1st line winger, which will cost 7+ million to sign long term.

Somehow I keep getting quoted and misinterpreted in this thread. All I did was quoted a Leaf fan saying he'd never sign a 2 year backloaded offer sheet. So let me simplify this for all the people lacking reading comprehension:

Do I think a team will offer sheet him? Not sure, could happen, but I'd say unlikely.

Do I think a team would offer a 2 year backloaded offer sheet like a previous poster suggested (9.75 in 2nd year)? No. Unless you know the 1st isn't going to be in the lottery and treat the 2 year deal as a rental (because who in their right mind would qualify him at 9.75???)

Do I think Nylander would sign a 2 year backloaded deal? Yes. He'd be a moron not to. He'd either need to be qualified at 9.75 or be a UFA at 24. Why wouldn't he want to get paid?
Most players prefer a big long-term deal that protects against injury and performance issues. That is the main reason they don't chooses short-term contracts if they have a strong bargaining position.

I would not expect Nylander to accept a short-term offer sheet for that reason.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Clueless homers dont think they have any problem with the JT signing. Nylander are the odd man out, no C playing in the next future, less money to spend on his contract, a less role in a Leafs team.

1.He will be traded for Defensive help.

2. He will sign a short bridge contract, because they havent afford to pay him his value.

3. Files for Arbitration, traded in a couple of years.

4. Signs a offersheet! Can easily se teams offersheet him when they know thats hes not happy with his current lowballing team.

Marner and AM gonna get payed long term next season, that leaves Nylander with much less then he and his father expected this season.

A 21 year old with 2 back to back 60+ seasons behind him,and has C potential, isnt gonna take a hometown discount and play a supporting role , for a better chance to grab a cup, hell vegas was close with a hard working squad. He isnt 28 or 35 and signs for peanuts for a last chance to try to win it all!

Pretty sure 1 or 2 will happen!

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Clueless homers dont think they have any problem with the JT signing. Nylander are the odd man out, no C playing in the next future, less money to spend on his contract, a less role in a Leafs team.

1.He will be traded for Defensive help.

2. He will sign a short bridge contract, because they havent afford to pay him his value.

3. Files for Arbitration, traded in a couple of years.

4. Signs a offersheet! Can easily se teams offersheet him when they know thats hes not happy with his current lowballing team.

Marner and AM gonna get payed long term next season, that leaves Nylander with much less then he and his father expected this season.

A 21 year old with 2 back to back 60+ seasons behind him,and has C potential, isnt gonna take a hometown discount and play a supporting role , for a better chance to grab a cup, hell vegas was close with a hard working squad. He isnt 28 or 35 and signs for peanuts for a last chance to try to win it all!

Pretty sure 1 or 2 will happen!

:laugh:

That's ironic.

1) Possibility -- though Leafs aren't really forced to do anything, and it'll be a trade that makes sense for them.

2) Also a possibility if the Leafs feel like they want to extend their window so they can add another UFA to come in and help. Small one though, bridge contracts are a mistake with skilled player like Will and the other two, locking him up long term would be smarter, and Dubas understands this.

3) He isn't arbitration eligible.

4) Also a possibility -- but very unlikely.

It's nice that you think so highly of William Nylander, he is a great young player. Fact is though, his comparable Nikolaj Ehlers -- who he compares very nicely too, received 6millionx7years, (8% of the cap) which would put William @ around 6.36 for 7 years -- which is a very manageable number for the Leafs, even if he went up to 6.5.

Kyle Dubas on whether he will keep all of the big 3:

"We can and we will"

It's nice that all you are so worried about our marvelous players that you think are so good, and will get paid so well -- but unfortunately for you, your dreams will only be dreams :(.

Leafs will lock up all 3 this summer.

If you're so sure, I'll avatar bet you Leafs sign WillNy for 6+ years before training camp.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
:laugh:

That's ironic.

1) Possibility -- though Leafs aren't really forced to do anything, and it'll be a trade that makes sense for them.

2) Also a possibility if the Leafs feel like they want to extend their window so they can add another UFA to come in and help. Small one though, bridge contracts are a mistake with skilled player like Will and the other two, locking him up long term would be smarter, and Dubas understands this.

3) He isn't arbitration eligible.

4) Also a possibility -- but very unlikely.

It's nice that you think so highly of William Nylander, he is a great young player. Fact is though, his comparable Nikolaj Ehlers -- who he compares very nicely too, received 6millionx7years, (8% of the cap) which would put William @ around 6.36 for 7 years -- which is a very manageable number for the Leafs, even if he went up to 6.5.

Kyle Dubas on whether he will keep all of the big 3:

"We can and we will"

It's nice that all you are so worried about our marvelous players that you think are so good, and will get paid so well -- but unfortunately for you, your dreams will only be dreams :(.

Leafs will lock up all 3 this summer.

If you're so sure, I'll avatar bet you Leafs sign WillNy for 6+ years before training camp.

Im not worry about your players at all, responding to Leafs fans whos blind and dont realize the obvious thing about the JT signing. Nylander as the future 2C option has been cemented as a winger and his team cant afford to give him his full value. Yes i like Nylanders chances to be a force in the Nhl(Marner not so much)l, but not in the current Leafs team though. Funny to see fans turning on him over night and demands that he will take 2 million less then before the JT signing. Hes young and talent a former worlds mvp with 2 back to back 60+ seasons. Hes not greedy or stupid, so it will be a big problem to pay him off.

He has lost in position and lost a future 2C place in the team. he will get less primetime and they will lowball him due cap(or going with a crappy D), then more probably trade him then trade Marner, both will not be in the team in 2 years if you want to go anywhere outside a 1 round exit.

Dont think Jt signed to wait 5 years and hope you got lucky to develop a D prospect to a no 1 D or hope some magic beans turns up!

The logic thing with the JT signing will be a Nylander trade for defensive help, if you doing good there, it will help the team.

Im not doing avatar bets, im not even put it in peoples throats when i had it right with players, which i mostly has. I can pm you a list if you are intrested? Or you can lurk in my posts!

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Im not worry about your players at all, responding to Leafs fans whos blind and dont realize the obvious thing about the JT signing. Nylander as the future 2C option has been cemented as a winger and his team cant afford to give him his full value. Yes i like Nylanders chances to be a force in the Nhl(Marner not so much)l, but not in the current Leafs team though. Funny to see fans turning on him over night and demands that he will take 2 million less then before the JT signing. Hes young and talent a former worlds mvp with 2 back to back 60+ seasons. Hes not greedy or stupid, so it will be a big problem to pay him off.

He has lost in position and lost a future 2C place in the team. he will get less primetime and they will lowball him due cap(or going with a crappy D), then more probably trade him then trade Marner, both will not be in the team in 2 years if you want to go anywhere outside a 1 round exit.

Dont think Jt signed to wait 5 years and hope you got lucky to develop a D prospect to a no 1 D or hope some magic beans turns up!

The logic thing with the JT signing will be a Nylander trade for defensive help, if you doing good there, it will help the team.

Im not doing avatar bets, im not even put it in peoples throats when i had it right with players, which i mostly has. I can pm you a list if you are intrested? Or you can lurk in my posts!
Yeah, poor Nylander having to play on Matthews wing.

Which Leaf fans are offering him 4 million? ~6-6.5 has been a pretty well accepted price point for Nylander with Leaf fans, and is pretty fair to him.

Again, all this "sky is falling" bs because they signed a really good player in Tavares is such nonsense, and the only thing people like you have to grasp onto. You really think Willy is mad they signed a top 5C for nothing but money? Players want to play with other good players, and they want to play on good teams. As much as you guys are trying to spin it into something bad, it's only good.

And if they think trading Willy for a good young D, then so be it. It wouldn't be cause their forced too though.

Either way, I'm enjoying reading all this worrying and nonsense from non Leaf fans, while Leaf fans are sitting back happy as shit with a huge smile, it's really entertaining.

Apparently all our RFAs are getting offersheeted and we now have a 1 year window. Can't make this stuff up.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Oh hey!

It's another thread about a Leaf player getting offer sheeted....... original

With all the sheets offered throughout history, it's pretty amazing that all of a sudden it will be the whole leaf team only, man people need a clue

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Given the rarity of offer sheets nowadays its likely a moot point but realistically the Leafs would match any offer that wasn't bat shit crazy. They have the cap space so can't see any other GM wasting his time. If Nylander holds out, trading for his rights might be a smart move but that's the only way Willy is leaving T.O at this point. I'm sure Dubas wants at least 1 go at the cup with the current forward depth before having to worry about cap implications in 2019

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Given the rarity of offer sheets nowadays its likely a moot point but realistically the Leafs would match any offer that wasn't bat **** crazy. They have the cap space so can't see any other GM wasting his time. If Nylander holds out, trading for his rights might be a smart move but that's the only way Willy is leaving T.O at this point. I'm sure Dubas wants at least 1 go at the cup with the current forward depth before having to worry about cap implications in 2019

Nope, according to HF boards, Marner, Matthews, Nylander are all getting offer sheeted, whole bunch of GM's on here lol

What a bunch of jokes, people are stupid.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Yeah, poor Nylander having to play on Matthews wing.

Which Leaf fans are offering him 4 million? ~6-6.5 has been a pretty well accepted price point for Nylander with Leaf fans, and is pretty fair to him.

Again, all this "sky is falling" bs because they signed a really good player in Tavares is such nonsense, and the only thing people like you have to grasp onto. You really think Willy is mad they signed a top 5C for nothing but money? Players want to play with other good players, and they want to play on good teams. As much as you guys are trying to spin it into something bad, it's only good.

And if they think trading Willy for a good young D, then so be it. It wouldn't be cause their forced too though.

Either way, I'm enjoying reading all this worrying and nonsense from non Leaf fans, while Leaf fans are sitting back happy as **** with a huge smile, it's really entertaining.

Apparently all our RFAs are getting offersheeted and we now have a 1 year window. Can't make this stuff up.

Before JT signed, in the first half of last season, the majority of your fans speculated in 7.5-8 millions, now its 6- 6.5, whats happened,lol!

Good supporting players is happy to play with good players, player at Nylanders caliber wants to have the puck and getting primetime, to many players who are before him in the team , slow down his development and own goals when not using him properly! No young players with elite potentional take less dollars to make the chance to win bigger, and then let a equal player get a lot more.

You can agree to not agree with posters on the main board and smile as much you want, but as long biased Leafs fans keep posting fantasies on the main, you would expect answers.

You should keep many of your Leaf threads on your own board, like cousin marriages to avoid have your world picture beeing ruined.

JT is a good C, doesnt mean he takes a team to cups, took islanders nowhere in these years, lundqvist and karlsson at least had some effects on their mediocer teams. So hold your breath and wait a couple of years before you are happy as a child, it takes more then C a signing to make your team a serious threat with all the flaws in the team.

Shouldnt be surprised if the fans has turned on JT in a couple of years and the "genius" Dubas renamed to Dum b ass, the fans in Toronto arent famous for their patience!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Before JT signed, in the first half of last season, the majority of your fans speculated in 7.5-8 millions, now its 6- 6.5, whats happened,lol!

Good supporting players is happy to play with good players, player at Nylanders caliber wants to have the puck and getting primetime, to many players who are before him in the team , slow down his development and own goals when not using him properly! No young players with elite potentional take less dollars to make the chance to win bigger, and then let a equal player get a lot more.

You can agree to not agree with posters on the main board and smile as much you want, but as long biased Leafs fans keep posting fantasies on the main, you would expect answers.

You should keep many of your Leaf threads on your own board, like cousin marriages to avoid have your world picture beeing ruined.

JT is a good C, doesnt mean he takes a team to cups, took islanders nowhere in these years, lundqvist and karlsson at least had some effect. So hold your breath and wait a couple of years before you are happy as a child, it takes more then C a signing to make your team a serious threat with all the flaws in the team.

Shouldnt be surprised if the fans has turned on JT in a couple of years and the "genius" Dubas renamed to Dum b ass, the fans in Toronto arent famous for their patience!

We don't make these threads, but cool story.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
You make enough of them "bro", and those you dont make , you turn to Leafs threads in a minute:laugh:. Other fanbases mostly keep the biased stuff in their own boards!

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Sabres should offer him 5 years at 8.5 .Put him on a line with his brother. Imagine the already heated rivalry.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
We literally just went through a rebuild wtf are you smoking?

How many rebuilds the last 5 decades? The big and vocal fanbase in Toronto hasnt any patience with players, first they overestimate their players and prospects, then they want to ship them after a so so season(some after a 10 game bad streak). Gardiner is the latest example, a first D among alot of your fans last season. today hes trash and gone after his contract has expired.

I think the worst media and fan climate to be in as a player if things not going smoth is easily Toronto . Have followed some gamethreads and the hate for Hyman, Polak was really scary, even Andersen who stole so many games last season was butchered after a couple of bad games, was scapegoat in the playoffs too.

If you are in a rebuild, you surely doesnt act like it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad