Value of: Nylander - Offer sheet

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Um you do know theres years after 19-20 right?

That chart you listed had dudes who ive never even heard of holding the entire fourth line... all on ELCs including one on defense.

I find it very unlikely Toronto has ELCs rotating in every 2-3 years and the fact that theyd be dependent on it isnt good

What will start to separate good from bad teams in the current cap era will be the ability to shift in cheap Elc talent. Teams with weaker draft and development systems will be left behind.

Here’s no guarantee that his will work for the leafs, but it’s the smart strategy. Spend your cap dollars on bluechip talents, not on replaceable support talent

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
How much money can be reasonable to offer Nylander as RFA? I am pointing at Arizona. They have plenty of prospects and it won´t hurt to lose picks. Nylander can become their best player and first class star.

From Wikipedia:

"Since the 2004-05 lockout, seven restricted free agents have signed offer sheets, and only one player has changed teams as the result of an offer sheet: Dustin Penner prior to the 2007–08 season. Penner is also the only player since 1997 (Chris Gratton) to change teams via an offer sheet.[7] The risk invested in real and cap dollars along with the negative reaction to an offer sheet has led to the act of signing an offer sheet becoming rare under the current CBA.[8]"

Offer sheet - Wikipedia

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
For sure, I wouldn't count out a huge payday.

I honestly think they all want to win, and are seeing the Leafs all in with drafting and signings. I could see a situation where you have

Matthews at 9.5-10
Marner at 7
Nylander at 6-6.5

These kids want cups in my opinion, but I don't know them, so that's just speculation. I do know Dubas and Co. have been in contact with all of them, they helped sign JT, and JT was assured they would not only keep them, but add on the backend.

Honest question here. Do you think Matthews signs for less than JT? I would think would be the same...no?

Reactions: DanM

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The most I could see is this which Toronto gives him close to anyway.

$6,088,981 to $8,118,641First-, second-, and third-round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Agreed, it's not happening, and is silly

Odds of that actually happening are like .0000000000000000000000001%

I don't think you know how math works...

I doubt an offer sheet would happen but of course it could happen. It has happened before, its in the rules and I'm sure some teams are at least considering it for players like Nylander and Nurse

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I doubt an offer sheet would happen but of course it could happen. It has happened before, its in the rules and I'm sure some teams are at least considering it for players like Nylander and Nurse

There still hasn’t been a public one in half a decade - and for good reason, they just don’t work. Which is why technically possible, it remains highly unlikely to happen.

Reactions: DanM and SprDaVE

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Kinda rude no? since my degree is in accounting and finance lol

But it's possible I guess

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Honest question here. Do you think Matthews signs for less than JT? I would think would be the same...no?

It's a very good question, and a tough answer.

Matthews was on like a 90 or more point pace until injuries last year, and the 3 of them slowed him down a bit, he and Babcock admitted he was not moving the same. If healthy last year I believe he would have eclipsed JT points wise, but he didn't, so I would say he is worth 10 million.

However, cap increase, expansion, and potential says to me he will be in a different league, if not already when healthy.

But JT has a nice resume, so who knows lol so many variables to consider.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why do people think bottom 5-10 teams want to throw away multiple first round picks in an offer sheet? why do people think teams are going to offer sheet in general when it never happens? why do people think teams randomly have a massive urge to spite the Leafs for no reason whatsoever? three questions I wonder every day when I read the silly people on this board.

That sums it up. Tank teams aren't giving up their top 5-10 picks for Nylander on a high contract. Most contents don't have the cap room but would be fine giving up a 20-31 range pick +.

Hypothetically though an 8.0m x 4 year offersheet would cause Dubas conciptions. It is right on the line between matching and not matching, $8.2m they walk, but $8.0m compensation is weak.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
At which point Nylander bolts back to Toronto on a sweetheart UFA deal and rejoins the offensive juggernaut, with 2 Dmen that were drafted with his picks.

Forcing TOR to sign 4 years deal practically makes this

1st, 2nd. 3rd for 4 years of Nylander plus 2mil extra caphit.

RFA sheets never happen, but this is the only way i could see one getting done.

(UFA destination depends on where they want to spend their time. Probably wants NMC too)

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Sharks should over 8.1 over three years; 6.65, 6.65, 11

Leafs matched and they're screwed, Leafs don't match and they are set back

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Arizona should put it out there they would offer Matthews max contract over 8 years; 4 first round picks would hurt put getting Matthews, a local NHL star in his prime would be worth it franchise wise.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Arizona should put it out there they would offer Matthews max contract over 8 years; 4 first round picks would hurt put getting Matthews, a local NHL star in his prime would be worth it franchise wise.
You think Nylander would sign a contract that promises that Arizona would put out there that they want to offer Matthews max contract over 8 years knowing that Toronto would match that. A team would be better off offering Nylander money. To get him they should offer much more than the Leafs would be willing to pay. 12,000,000 and they have him easily should Nylander sign it. The Leafs would never match something crazy like that.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I feel like if a team came a long and offered Andreas Johnsson a 7 year 4 mil AAV it could hinder the leafs more than what a team could offer Willy.

Johnsson is a solid cheap controllable young forward and exactly the kind contract the leafs need going forward.
I have a tough time seeing the leafs part with Johnsson for a 2nd rounder.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Sharks should over 8.1 over three years; 6.65, 6.65, 11

Leafs matched and they're screwed, Leafs don't match and they are set back
Lol you realize whoever offer sheets Matthews will be kissing goodbye to their franchise right?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

It depends if Matthews and the rest of the core are on board with taking a little less to keep the band together. I also hope he realizes the difference between UFA and RFA contracts.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Lol you realize whoever offer sheets Matthews will be kissing goodbye to their franchise right?

Yeah the reason why GM's don't use the offer sheet tool is because they open themselves up to the rest of the league to do the same to them. It's not a coincidence that the GM's who have sent offer sheets in the cap era have lost their jobs shortly after. It's a last resort move when you've buried your franchise so badly you have to steal good young players from other organizations.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
None of the kids in Toronto will sign an offer sheet. All will get paid and all will have great success staying together. In all honesty who would want to leave a forward group of Tavares Matthews Marner Nylander Kadri?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Well, he’ll be signing as an RFA not a UFA. But, if I was the Leafs, I’d probably be happy to get him for 10.25M or so — basically a little more than Eichel. It basically, if he’s unwilling to take that amount to help keep the team together, I’d trade him. And I’d make sure that the media was given the impression that Matthews was a greedy, selfish SOB who had no interest in being a Toronto Maple Leaf.

And frankly, the same thing goes for Nylander and Marner. Set an upper boundary that works for the team and is fair to the player, and if the player wants more, trade them and slime them in the press.

And if any of them sign an offer sheet, take the picks and drive them to the airport. They’ve basically tried to force your hand and in my mind, that’s an insult — they’re saying that they don’t think you are negotiating fairly.

But surely, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander realized that by supporting the signing of Tavares, there’d be less money for them If not, they may be too stupid and/or greedy for me to want them on the Leafs.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Good luck getting Nylander to buy into a two-year deal.
Why wouldn't he sign it? After the 2 year deal he'd have to be qualified at 9.75. So he'd be averaging 7.875 over the 2 years (more than he's currently worth), and be guaranteed huge money after, whether it's in the form of the qualifying offer (9.75), or he doesn't get the Q.O. and becomes a UFA at the age of 24.

We've already seen ROR get this type of backloaded offer sheet, so it's not unprecedented.

Unless you truly believe this narrative Leaf fans have built: "he wouldn't sign an offer sheet, why would he want to leave this team?"

Dustin Penner won a cup with Anaheim and signed an offer sheet that summer. He went from championship calibre team that plays in a warm weather city to bottom feeder team with some of the coldest weather of any NHL city. This is a business. Every agent in the league would recommend signing that offer sheet.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why wouldn't he sign it? After the 2 year deal he'd have to be qualified at 9.75. So he'd be averaging 7.875 over the 2 years (more than he's currently worth), and be guaranteed huge money after, whether it's in the form of the qualifying offer (9.75), or he doesn't get the Q.O. and becomes a UFA at the age of 24.

We've already seen ROR get this type of backloaded offer sheet, so it's not unprecedented.

Unless you truly believe this narrative Leaf fans have built: "he wouldn't sign an offer sheet, why would he want to leave this team?"

Dustin Penner won a cup with Anaheim and signed an offer sheet that summer. He went from championship calibre team that plays in a warm weather city to bottom feeder team with some of the coldest weather of any NHL city. This is a business. Every agent in the league would recommend signing that offer sheet.

Wow the Leafs have really gotten to you lol.

This won't happen, as much as you convince your little brain that it will. There's a reason offer sheets are rare. If you're going to cite ROR which happened several years ago I dunno what to tell you.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
All the other 30 teams should team up against the Leafs and offer sheet every player in retaliation for them signing the snake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad