Value of: Nylander - Offer sheet

bertty

Jun 6, 2017
How much money can be reasonable to offer Nylander as RFA? I am pointing at Arizona. They have plenty of prospects and it won´t hurt to lose picks. Nylander can become their best player and first class star.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Nylander wouldn't even be their best forward that goes to Keller.

As to an offer sheet the only value that makes sense is $7.8 M over 5 years. Enough of an over-payment to make TO think about it while keeping the compensation to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
This thread still happening? LOL

Here is the answer, it's never going to happen to any of our players, plus they would never agree to it, and Dubas and Co. will make sure of that.

But nice try

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nylander wouldn't even be their best forward that goes to Keller.

As to an offer sheet the only value that makes sense is $7.8 M over 5 years. Enough of an over-payment to make TO think about it while keeping the compensation to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd...
They would match.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
6.5 million. They could try 7 or 7.5 million and wait for the leafs to accept/decline. Of course nylander has to sign the offer sheet.

Reactions: thadd

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If they want a shot at actually getting him, I’d say 7.6 million. I believe that is next years 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pic, which is fair value as long as they don’t get a top 2 pick. As for what is reasonable, I’m not exactly sure. I’ve heard leafs fans say they can get him for 6 million and some say 6.5 million. My guess is that Toronto wants to go long term with Matthews and Marner, and more along the lines of a 4 year deal with nylander for more flexibility. So if you offer sheet him 8 years at 7.5, that might be tough for Toronto to match.

Disclaimer: I don’t know what Toronto’s cap situation looks like, I am just going off the assumption that at some point in the future: Matthews gets 12.5, Marner gets 8-9(really depends how good he looks with Tavares), Rielly gets 7-8.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If they want a shot at actually getting him, I’d say 7.6 million. I believe that is next years 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pic, which is fair value as long as they don’t get a top 2 pick. As for what is reasonable, I’m not exactly sure. I’ve heard leafs fans say they can get him for 6 million and some say 6.5 million. My guess is that Toronto wants to go long term with Matthews and Marner, and more along the lines of a 4 year deal with nylander for more flexibility. So if you offer sheet him 8 years at 7.5, that might be tough for Toronto to match.

Disclaimer: I don’t know what Toronto’s cap situation looks like, I am just going off the assumption that at some point in the future: Matthews gets 12.5, Marner gets 8-9(really depends how good he looks with Tavares), Rielly gets 7-8.

Or they could value winning over money, and since nobody knows them personally on here, it's as good a chance as Matthews getting 12.5

But they all could be greedy as well lol

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Why do people think bottom 5-10 teams want to throw away multiple first round picks in an offer sheet? why do people think teams are going to offer sheet in general when it never happens? why do people think teams randomly have a massive urge to spite the Leafs for no reason whatsoever? three questions I wonder every day when I read the silly people on this board.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Pump the brakes....Rielly still has 4 years left on his deal, by that time Marleau and Gardiner are out. The Leafs will be perfectly fine as long as they draft and develop properly.

Reactions: LighthouseKeepr

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Or they could value winning over money, and since nobody knows them personally on here, it's as good a chance as Matthews getting 12.5

But they all could be greedy as well lol

I just remember hearing NHL reporters talking about how McDavid’s contract is the comparable for Matthews when McDavid signed. Obviously Matthews isn’t McDavid, but with the cap increase, he could get 12 barring a bad season.

Then again, if I was Matthews I would take 5 million a year to play with that team and win cups.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why do people think bottom 5-10 teams want to throw away multiple first round picks in an offer sheet? why do people think teams are going to offer sheet in general when it never happens? why do people think teams randomly have a massive urge to spite the Leafs for no reason whatsoever? three questions I wonder every day when I read the silly people on this board.

Agreed, it's not happening, and is silly

Odds of that actually happening are like .0000000000000000000000001%

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The way to do it would be to structure it as a two year OS with the first year as 6 million dollars and the second year as 9.75 million. That way if they match they are stuck with a poison pill qualifying offer in two years (when they will really need the cap space) and you would only lose a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd if they choose not to match it. It would suck having to qualify him yourself in two years but getting him for such a discounted price would make it worth it I think.

I don’t see him signing it though, Toronto is a great place to be right now. Only way I could see it is if he wants to be a Center, because if he signs for the next 8 years in Toronto he’s basically accepting that he’s a career winger.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I just remember hearing NHL reporters talking about how McDavids contract is the comparable for Matthews when McDavid signed. Obviously Matthews isn’t McDavid, but with the cap increase, he could get 12 barring a bad season.

Then again, if I was Matthews I would take 5 million a year to play with that team and win cups.

For sure, I wouldn't count out a huge payday.

I honestly think they all want to win, and are seeing the Leafs all in with drafting and signings. I could see a situation where you have

Matthews at 9.5-10
Marner at 7
Nylander at 6-6.5

These kids want cups in my opinion, but I don't know them, so that's just speculation. I do know Dubas and Co. have been in contact with all of them, they helped sign JT, and JT was assured they would not only keep them, but add on the backend.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Sure, as long-term Nylander may in fact be worth that. Remember he put up 60 points this season with Matthews missing significant time this season. He'll likely top out at a 70-75 point player which is solid.
He could top out higher I believe, I just can’t imagjne how a team can afford those 4. Dubas is a smart guy though I’m sure he has a plan. Could someone lay out the salaries for me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad