Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Teams pay similar or more to a 1st 2nd 3rd for players worse than him and under contract for shorter term at the trade deadline every year.

Example Tatar

1 2 3 for 5 yrs of Nylander is a great deal. If I was a team that wanted Nylander I would offer Dubas that in trade and tell him the offer sheet is coming if he doesn't accept.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Nylander looks like he really put in a lot of work in the offseason. He looks absolutely jacked in his latest Instagram photo. I admire his dedication off the ice and I think maybe he will deserve an 8-10 million dollar contract one day. But anyway based on 2 60 point seasons and a not great playoff I’m not sure if he can push the envelope when it comes to leverage. I hope they can sign a fair deal soon, I hate to see these situations drag on.

Nylander has always been really jacked. Even in his offseason photos from his rookie year. Dude is just in great shape.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hey Columbus fans, would you guys be interested in some sort of Nylander & Gardiner + for Panarin & Jones? I know that’s not even right now but if the Leafs add a first or the equivalent to a first in picks and prospects how would you feel?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Teams pay similar or more to a 1st 2nd 3rd for players worse than him and under contract for shorter term at the trade deadline every year.

Example Tatar

1 2 3 for 5 yrs of Nylander is a great deal. If I was a team that wanted Nylander I would offer Dubas that in trade and tell him the offer sheet is coming if he doesn't accept.

No doubt Dubas would quiver in his boots.

"...but, but, but 'dat guy said I have to take a 1st, 2nd + 3rd or lose my toy!!"

:laugh:

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Hey Columbus fans, would you guys be interested in some sort of Nylander & Gardiner + for Panarin & Jones? I know that’s not even right now but if the Leafs add a first or the equivalent to a first in picks and prospects how would you feel?

There’s no way Columbus would agree to that. Even if you added more.

Panarin and Jones are both better than Nylander and Gardiner. By a significant margin too. Nylander, Gardiner, and a first wouldn’t get you Jones alone

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
I don't think that Leafs should acquire either Panarin or Jones. Panarin is going to get more than Nylander next summer and Jones isn't signed as long as a contending Leafs team would want him to be. Panarin could easily walk next summer and so could Jones in 2022 when he's UFA (I think.). You should sign players either on their ELCs or some that are already signed long term.

Leafs are better of trying to keep their young core players Matthews, Marner and Nylander. And if Nylander won't sign an affordable deal, then they should trade him for someone not quite at Nylander's level, like Alex DeBrincat or Matt Dumba, depending on your needs (and I'm not saying these players are equal in value, just the first few that I could think of). It's better than signing your players to contracts that ultimately cause cap hell when you should be contending for real.

Reactions: MasonL2862

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada

Panarin and Jones are both better than Nylander and Gardiner. By a significant margin too. Nylander, Gardiner, and a first wouldn’t get you Jones alone
Woah woah ok I might be off a bit but there is no way Jones is worth Nylander, Gardiner AND a first PLUS. A 50 Point D-Man, a first line winger at roughly (albeit slightly lower) the same skill level and a 1st is worth way more than a Jones. Look at what Karlsson got, and he is a lot better than Jones

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I don't think that Leafs should acquire either Panarin or Jones. Panarin is going to get more than Nylander next summer and Jones isn't signed as long as a contending Leafs team would want him to be. Panarin could easily walk next summer and so could Jones in 2022 when he's UFA (I think.). You should sign players either on their ELCs or some that are already signed long term.

Leafs are better of trying to keep their young core players Matthews, Marner and Nylander. And if Nylander won't sign an affordable deal, then they should trade him for someone not quite at Nylander's level, like Alex DeBrincat or Matt Dumba, depending on your needs (and I'm not saying these players are equal in value, just the first few that I could think of). It's better than signing your players to contracts that ultimately cause cap hell when you should be contending for real.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Woah woah ok I might be off a bit but there is no way Jones is worth Nylander, Gardiner AND a first PLUS. A 50 Point D-Man, a first line winger at roughly (albeit slightly lower) the same skill level and a 1st is worth way more than a Jones. Look at what Karlsson got, and he is a lot better than Jones

There’s a tremendous difference between the situation around Karlsson, and where Jones is.

I’d much rather have Jones moving forward. He’s emerged as one of the top defensemen in the game.

Our first would be a late first. Gardiner doesn’t hold a tremendous amount of value as an asset whose contract expires next season, and we know the Nylander situation right now.

Acquiring a top young defenseman is no easy task. Teams that have them, don’t want to move them, especially for a couple of meh assets added to someone like Nylander.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

I doubt they'd know they wouldn't trade Jones for Nylander and Gardiner alone.

Reactions: Critical91

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
There’s a tremendous difference between the situation around Karlsson, and where Jones is.

I’d much rather have Jones moving forward. He’s emerged as one of the top defensemen in the game.

Our first would be a late first. Gardiner doesn’t hold a tremendous amount of value as an asset whose contract expires next season, and we know the Nylander situation right now.

Acquiring a top young defenseman is no easy task. Teams that have them, don’t want to move them, especially for a couple of meh assets added to someone like Nylander.
I probably should have added this into the original post, but this is a world where there would be some signs and trades possibly going on or part of the deal would be a guaranteed contract extention. If Nylander and Gardiner were to be traded Columbus would probably want to have them signed and same with the Leafs and Panarin

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I doubt they'd know they wouldn't trade Jones for Nylander and Gardiner alone.
I don’t see how Nylander + Gardiner doesn’t get you Jones. Nylander is almost at the level Panarin is at, and I assume the older he gets the closer he gets to that level/possibly passing it. And yes Gardiner has flaws but he is a 50 Point DMan, and even if that’s an outlier he still is a constant 30/40 point DMan and isn’t as bad defensively as people assume

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

I don’t see how Nylander + Gardiner doesn’t get you Jones. Nylander is almost at the level Panarin is at, and I assume the older he gets the closer he gets to that level/possibly passing it. And yes Gardiner has flaws but he is a 50 Point DMan, and even if that’s an outlier he still is a constant 30/40 point DMan and isn’t as bad defensively as people assume

I know it might look like that on the surface, but Jones is worth a lot more than Nylander + Gardiner + 1st. I am not certain they would even entertain Nylander + Rielly + 1st.

When you have a player like Seth Jones, you only trade him if you can't afford him, are rebuilding, he has a serious off ice flaw, or someone is offering a 1 for 1 (with a player like Barzal/Barkov) in a position of great need.

Think of it this way - his value is closer to Matthews than it is Nylander.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Example Tatar

Id wait to see the offer sheet, what have I got to lose if I dont match I get the picks anyway. Depends how much you offer to pay him I may match.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It's not about straight across value. It's about replacement value.

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I know it might look like that on the surface, but Jones is worth a lot more than Nylander + Gardiner + 1st. I am not certain they would even entertain Nylander + Rielly + 1st.

When you have a player like Seth Jones, you only trade him if you can't afford him, are rebuilding, he has a serious off ice flaw, or someone is offering a 1 for 1 (with a player like Barzal/Barkov) in a position of great need.

Think of it this way - his value is closer to Matthews than it is Nylander.
Fair enough but I don’t think the difference between Matthews and Nylander is Gardiner and a 1st

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
not likely. he has the option to match any offer. Bring it, we'd get closure
Also, the player actually has to sign the contract, and the team has to be willing to offer-sheet -- which if the past gives us any idea, not many teams are.

It's a very unlikely situation.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

You wouldnt trade Nylander plus in a deal for jones because jones is a free agent in 2022? I’d do it all day any day.

Reactions: MasonL2862

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
You wouldnt trade Nylander plus in a deal for jones because jones is a free agent in 2022? I’d do it all day any day.
I'm saying they shouldn't do it because their window is open for a lot longer than the 4 years Jones has a contract. If Marner and Matthews both sign 8 years they'll have their top players locked for 6 to eight years. You'd expect Matthews and Marner hit their peak in like 5 years and if you're able to get someone who still has a contract, you're much more likely to keep on contending. If you'd like someone from the Blue Jackets, you should go for Werenski.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
CBJ says no, and there is still is the issue of Nylander's salary. They aren't trading for an unsigned Nylander. And teams are just like the Leafs, they aren't going to overpay salary wise for Nylander. It just sets a team and league bad precedent.
I just think any Nylander proposed trades without the at least the estimated salary and term are just meaningless

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm saying they shouldn't do it because their window is open for a lot longer than the 4 years Jones has a contract. If Marner and Matthews both sign 8 years they'll have their top players locked for 6 to eight years. You'd expect Matthews and Marner hit their peak in like 5 years and if you're able to get someone who still has a contract, you're much more likely to keep on contending. If you'd like someone from the Blue Jackets, you should go for Werenski.
Nah. If I can get Jones for Nylander plus I still do it. Worry about re-signing him later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad