Speculation: Nylander contract talk Part II - (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe The Leafs will close the gap in the next few days, probably in the 6.7 - 7 M x 7 year range. If not a bridge may be signed where Nylander will cash in at a later time. But if Nylander gets closer to 7M than 6M. His hold out will have paid off as the Leafs will have done what his Agent was hoping for.

Reactions: DanM

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
No doubt Dubas would quiver in his boots.

"...but, but, but 'dat guy said I have to take a 1st, 2nd + 3rd or lose my toy!!"

:laugh:

Dude, that's exactly what Burke did in regards to Phil Kessel. It is just a courtesy to say we are going to sign him, you can have the same compensation or similar via trade instead.

He literally would lose his "toy" if someone made that offer and he didn't want to match.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Id wait to see the offer sheet, what have I got to lose if I dont match I get the picks anyway. Depends how much you offer to pay him I may match.

I would agree that would really be the right response, "go ahead make the offer". But at that point they lose the negotiation leverage with Nylander and with the trade leverage with the other team.

At this point most of us are working under the assumption that the Leafs don't want to sign Nylander for 5yrs x 8m.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dude, that's exactly what Burke did in regards to Phil Kessel. It is just a courtesy to say we are going to sign him, you can have the same compensation or similar via trade instead.

He literally would lose his "toy" if someone made that offer and he didn't want to match.
For someone to make that offer, there would need to be a GM that would have to value Nylander at 8 million....and would have the cap space. Name one.

I find it funny how some posters on here think a GM would make an 8 million dollar offer just to mess with the Leafs cap....what happens if the Leafs don't match? That GM now actually has to honor that 8 million dollar contract. I know it's much different, but how would Philly feel about owning Weber's contract right now had Nashville not matched?

I mean hey, if fans of other teams think a 61 point winger is worth 8 million, then i guess you should be hoping for your GM to offersheet him, but don't forget, this site has continually told us Leafs fans that Nylander is propped up by Matthews....does your team have a Matthews that can prop up an 8 million dollar Nylander?

Reactions: Metroid and beer123

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Interesting little detail I hadn't realized before. Nylander skipping training camp will actually slightly lower whatever cap hit he signs at for every season after this one.

The Leafs have cap room this year but things get tighter after that. This can help a little bit.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I expect something to happen here by next week. Either they keep him or trade him. Can't see this dragging into the regular season.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting little detail I hadn't realized before. Nylander skipping training camp will actually slightly lower whatever cap hit he signs at for every season after this one.

The Leafs have cap room this year but things get tighter after that. This can help a little bit.

The savings would be so insignificant. The Leafs would save well under 100k in terms of cap hit per year.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
For someone to make that offer, there would need to be a GM that would have to value Nylander at 8 million....and would have the cap space. Name one.

I find it funny how some posters on here think a GM would make an 8 million dollar offer just to mess with the Leafs cap....what happens if the Leafs don't match? That GM now actually has to honor that 8 million dollar contract. I know it's much different, but how would Philly feel about owning Weber's contract right now had Nashville not matched?

I mean hey, if fans of other teams think a 61 point winger is worth 8 million, then i guess you should be hoping for your GM to offersheet him, but don't forget, this site has continually told us Leafs fans that Nylander is propped up by Matthews....does your team have a Matthews that can prop up an 8 million dollar Nylander?

Fair that there may be no team willing to pay him 5yrs x 8m. My post was in reply to saying there are some teams out there that likely wouldn't balk at the draft pick compensation. Nor was I specifically saying the Flyers are the ones who would do it, (I noted they have the picks and cap space but maybe not the need). I am also not entirely opposed to it but similar to the Leafs I think it would make it more challenging to sign Patrick if/when he turns out to be better than Nylander.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I believe The Leafs will close the gap in the next few days, probably in the 6.7 - 7 M x 7 year range. If not a bridge may be signed where Nylander will cash in at a later time. But if Nylander gets closer to 7M than 6M. His hold out will have paid off as the Leafs will have done what his Agent was hoping for.
Don't agree with this at all.
6.5-7m is basically where I suspect Nylander will fall if it's a long term deal, and is definitely a fair contract for both sides. 8.5% of the cap falls @ 6.75m for Willy, which is basically where I expect him to be.

Pastrnak hadn't proven to be the Pastrnak he is right now, and received 8.89% which ='s 7.06m on a 79.5 cap today.

Im going with >7m win for Nylander
6.5-7m win for both parties
<6.5m win for Dubas

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Your post implies that somehow a GM saying "take this 1, 2 and 3 or I am taking your player" is some great fear inducing threat. Others have already pointed out to you what they would have to offer to do so in the first place. The Leafs still have the right to match and HE has to sign in the first place. If I am Kyle Dubas and you threaten me with that, I hand you the phone and Nylander's number and tell you to go ahead. Of course, I am the last person in the world you want to play bluff with because I basically never bluff. Lol. Your situation reminds me of the numerous times I have had employees try to threaten me with grievances, only to met with "Go ahead, fill your boots".

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Fair that there may be no team willing to pay him 5yrs x 8m. My post was in reply to saying there are some teams out there that likely wouldn't balk at the draft pick compensation. Nor was I specifically saying the Flyers are the ones who would do it, (I noted they have the picks and cap space but maybe not the need). I am also not entirely opposed to it but similar to the Leafs I think it would make it more challenging to sign Patrick if/when he turns out to be better than Nylander.
Of course a team wouldn't balk at a 1st+2nd+3rd, they would be getting Nylander cheap (depending on the team of course)....the problem is, if a GM offered that in trade for Nylander, it would be shot down. So now the ball is in that GMs court...you want Nylander for those assets, then you need to offersheet him to the max that you can...basically 8 million for 5 years, well....now that GM may have just handcuffed himself.....offer any lower, the Leafs match....offer that much, and you may have just signed a 61 point winger for 8 million.....which he isn't worth. Dubas can then take the picks and use the cap towards a Dman....maybe he can find a RFA to offershhet....

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I guess there's some benefit to Nylander's temporary absence. I'd rather have him at camp than save $100,000 on the cap, but at least it will have some unintended benefit.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I said this before:

- Offer sheets just aren’t a realistic option with any team, teams just don’t use them.

- Nylander will be signed and/or traded (west)

- If signed it could be either a bridge or long term.

- If signed, despite public statements by the team, agent and player I have to wonder if the relationship between team & player has been hurt. We all know public statements are worthless.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I said this before:

- Offer sheets just aren’t a realistic option with any team, teams just don’t use them.

- If signed, despite public statements by the team, agent and player I have to wonder if the relationship between team & player has been hurt. We all know public statements are worthless.

So....you've predicted what are essentially the only options?

Putting your neck on the line here, bro.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I said this before:

So basically regardless of which way it goes, if he signs a contract with the Leafs you'll be pushing a "hurt feelings" narrative. Expect a Like from TWS.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
So....you've predicted what are essentially the only options?

Putting your neck on the line here, bro.

So you point out a minor factual statement from the post and completely say nothing about the main point of the post. Gotcha yah!

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If signed, despite public statements by the team, agent and player I have to wonder if the relationship between team & player has been hurt. We all know public statements are worthless.

Ellis and Kucherov both signed in October after lengthy negotiations as RFA's and signed again long-term this year for pretty team-friendly deals.

Nylander's agent is known for long holdouts. Both sides were prepared for this scenario. I really doubt there is any deep resentment.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I said this before:

I thought this was a Dreger tweet.

Reactions: Kelly

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ellis and Kucherov both signed in October after lengthy negotiations as RFA's and signed again long-term this year for pretty team-friendly deals.

Nylander's agent is known for long holdouts. Both sides were prepared for this scenario. I really doubt there is any deep resentment.

This can't be true. All I hear about daily is how much Hampus Lindholm and Rakell hate the Ducks with a passion now because their contract negotiations went into the season too :sarcasm:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Time will tell, but no question he will sign

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Leafs refuse to overpay. We've done that in the past and we wont now. Becuase we've learned.

Edmonton?

Edmonton f***ed all this shit up by overpaying Drasaitl.

If Edmonton didn't fold like a cheap lawn chair, this would have already been done by now.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

anything below 7 would qualify as a win for the Leafs, not Nylander and his agent.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

What? The Athletic ran an article a week or two ago saying the known ask was something with an 8 from Nylander (and Sn said he is using Drai as a comparable) and the Leafs are starting with 6. Nylander is hoping to settle in the 7's and the Leafs refuse to give him anything other than what starts with 6.

So if he signs with the Leafs for 6.5-6.9 that is almost right in line in cap % of what Ehlers and Pasta got which has ALWAYS been the comparable and the educated guess of where he would fall.

This post is for one reason, you are going to take a fair contract given to Nylander and try to spin it into Dubas caving all year to fuel your "Marner / Matthews hold out / demand a trade / offersheet" BS as a way to be negative about the team.

I said this before:

Is that you Dreger? Also hurt relationship? Are you aware that it is not even October yet and he is not the first - nor last RFA to hold out this long? Laughable narrative.

Even if that narrative HAD some truth to it, I would rather piss of Nylander and lose him then do it to Marner or Matthews.

I thought this was a Dreger tweet.

Damn beat me to the Dreger chirp.

Reactions: leospaceman3434
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad