Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
not neccesarily , Mathews for example knows the Leafs will match so if -and i'm not saying he wants to- he wants to squeeze for every last cent then hoping he gets an offer sheet is the best way to do that

I think that's my point, I can't see it getting to that at all. Nothing that has happened to this point suggests anything other then the Big 3 will be here a long time, from either the management side or the players themselves. Of course I can see some hardball being played - hence someone like Nylander is not signed yet, but I can't see it ever getting to the 'offer sheet' level because from anything we've seen so far, the player wants to be here as much as the team wants them to be here. And as some others have already mentioned, this is extremely uncommon practice. So I just believe we're worrying about some extremely unlikely hypothetical here. Matthews, Nylander, Marner will be leafs for a long long time man!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
not neccesarily , Mathews for example knows the Leafs will match so if -and i'm not saying he wants to- he wants to squeeze for every last cent then hoping he gets an offer sheet is the best way to do that

An offer sheet gives all the leverage to Matthews in contract talks even without an official one because he knows if Leafs low ball him, another team would gladly offer much much more.

I would expect both Nylander and Marner will use Matthews contract as a driving force and they get a % of what he is worth, unless Dubas gets this all done beforehand.

I think Willy knows its in his best interest to take a bridge deal and then position himself to go 3rd thereafter once he has increased his PPG stats to warrant a bigger LT $ amount.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think that's my point, I can't see it getting to that at all. Nothing that has happened to this point suggests anything other then the Big 3 will be here a long time, from either the management side or the players themselves. Of course I can see some hardball being played - hence someone like Nylander is not signed yet, but I can't see it ever getting to the 'offer sheet' level because from anything we've seen so far, the player wants to be here as much as the team wants them to be here. And as some others have already mentioned, this is extremely uncommon practice. So I just believe we're worrying about some extremely unlikely hypothetical here. Matthews, Nylander, Marner will be leafs for a long long time man!!

Wouldn't be so sure!!!

I can see Matthews and Marner being lifetime Leafs. Not so much Nylander. The time will come that the needs elsewhere will mean he needs to go.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
signing all 3 isn't a problem and never has been

the problem lies in how do you sign all 3 and still have cap left ove to sign the rest of your ufa's rfa's next year so you don't have to go bottom feeding to fill out your roster

next off season

Mathews
Marner
Gardiner

and if these 3 play well they'll want to get paid as well albeit not in the same range as our top kids

Kappy
Jonnson
Dermott

so while i'm sure they'd all like to be back they also know there's only so much cap space available and in the case of Willie and Mitch depending on how they progress the situation may come when we have to deal one for cap relief or help elsewhere

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I love it. Dubas says one thing to ease the fans, but behind the scenes he's playing hardball with Nylander. I'm not saying he's going to be traded, but they just don't value him like many fans do. I can see him missing part of the season quite frankly. I mean the guy avoids contact anyway.

;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Nylander is not signed to a LT deal of 6 or > years, and only a 2 year bridge than it will cost the Leafs more cap $ in the long run.

If Matthews and Marner are not extended this year, before they break out offensively, than they will cost the Leafs more AAV and cap including the potential of matching OS from other teams.

All eyes are on Dubas to see how he handles his first big resigning challenges, and how cup competitive the Leafs become or remain will be critical to these 3 players next contracts.

slowly and steadily I am thinking that if we bridge Willy and Matthews/Marner don't sign until next summer we are going to lose Marner or Nylander in 3 to 4 years from now.

We would not be able to make the cap work. Even if we traded Kadri to make room for Nylander 2 years from now it would still be very hard as Dermott and other RFAs would need raises and then you have Freddie and Rielly contracts coming too....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
AM nor MM will not become an RFA. They will not get an offer sheet. Dubas will get it done. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Go watch the Dubas interview with Bob Mckenzie.

Everyone, take a deep breath....

he said the talks are continuing and he doesn't expect them to sign the contracts at least until the season starts. And if the players were willing to negotiate the contract during season leafs would do it.

That did not say that he will get it done.

not saying he won't jsut saying thats not what he said

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
slowly and steadily I am thinking that if we bridge Willy and Matthews/Marner don't sign until next summer we are going to lose Marner or Nylander in 3 to 4 years from now.

We would not be able to make the cap work. Even if we traded Kadri to make room for Nylander 2 years from now it would still be very hard as Dermott and other RFAs would need raises and then you have Freddie and Rielly contracts coming too....

:laugh:

Don't stress yourself too much over all of this. Pridham & Dubas will get this all sorted. They've already thought this out and always are thinking about how to sort all of this out. 3-4 years from now is a long ways away. Our insight is limited to these types of things. Let it play its course out. Think positively, we're in good hands now with this new management.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
he said the talks are continuing and he doesn't expect them to sign the contracts at least until the season starts. And if the players were willing to negotiate the contract during season leafs would do it.

That did not say that he will get it done.

not saying he won't jsut saying thats not what he said

Dubas will not release any information about contract talks. Whatever he says take it with a grain of salt when its pertaining to a contract, especially during negotiations. It will be done. Just be patient.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The nylander contract sets the basis for the other 2 so it is the most important I'd say. Makes sense management are taking their time.

Matthews contract should be pretty straight forward while Mitch would be a fool to sign this summer considering he is about to spend a full season playing with one of the best centers in the game.

Marner's contract is too hard to gauge at this point as he has the potential to go PPG this upcoming year but should Nylander sign a more cap friendly deal I would expect Marner would feel more inclined to do so as well.

Which is why I think Nylanders contract is the most important / the most complex

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Wouldn't be so sure!!!

I can see Matthews and Marner being lifetime Leafs. Not so much Nylander. The time will come that the needs elsewhere will mean he needs to go.

signing all 3 isn't a problem and never has been

the problem lies in how do you sign all 3 and still have cap left ove to sign the rest of your ufa's rfa's next year so you don't have to go bottom feeding to fill out your roster

next off season

Mathews
Marner
Gardiner

and if these 3 play well they'll want to get paid as well albeit not in the same range as our top kids

Kappy
Jonnson
Dermott

so while i'm sure they'd all like to be back they also know there's only so much cap space available and in the case of Willie and Mitch depending on how they progress the situation may come when we have to deal one for cap relief or help elsewhere

I guess we'll see, right now there is no indication from either players or mgmt that suggests they won't be here long. Nylander, Marner and Matthews have said they want to be here long term, Kyle has suggested that he wants them here long term and doesn't envision a situation that this doesn't happen (his interview with Bobby Mack). Of course things can change, but right now no reason to really believe otherwise.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
There was a lot of talk about the Leafs giving Tavares a one year max to lure him to Toronto and use the cap space they have this year. Obviously they didn’t do that, but why don’t the do it for Nylander?

Give him as much as they can fit this year with an understanding that next summer the additional money he got this year comes off his long term deal. Say 10 this year and then 6x5.75 next summer, assuming he has a similar season.

Leafs save cap space long term and Nylander gets more money upfront. The league probably won’t like it but NFL teams do similar things every year by restructuring contracts.

Thoughts?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
and how many people thought Nylander wouldn't sign be signed by now or that M&M would both be unsigned ?

but yea we can all ram our heads up our butts and just believe all 3 have already signed sweetheart deals and the team just wants to wait until the first day of camp to make a big splashy announcement (hoping i'm proved wrong and this is true)

I didn't think Matthews or Marner wouldn't be signed by now. Why would they? This management group flat out said ages ago is that if they have time, they'll use it. they didn't sign Kadri a year out, or Rielly a year out, or their UFAs a year out so why would Matthews or Marner be any different?

I thought Nylander would be signed around camp, and camp hasn't started yet. Schenn didn't sign until sept 14th when he was waiting for his contract. it's not a drama.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Grab one of the top coaches in the game
Win the draft lottery in a year with a franchise centre available
Jump from last place to the playoffs
Have one of top ranked dmen in the next draft fall into out laps at 16
Follow that up with a franchise high 105 points
Have our AHL team win the Calder
Sign a bright young GM
Grab perhaps the biggest free agent of all time (certainly in recent memory)

wah wah wah......We're gonna lose all our guys to offer sheets

ah the fatalism of Leaf fans. :laugh:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Matthews is our franchise player and knows the Market. IF he was going to do this, everything indicates he has a good enough relationship with Dubas that he would go to him before signing, and say that he intends on signing it to force them to match, but is offering him to do the deal before hand to lower the drama of it.

That is assuming he would do that in the first place.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it's all cute until someone does it and if you don't believe teams try to lock up franchise players for a reason before they can be offer sheeted then that's a very cute opinion you have

They haven’t done it in 5 years, and there have been only a small handful since the salary cap was introduced. A paper tiger of a threat imo

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
So Tavares and other UFA's wont sign 1 year deals at max money to then get an 8 year deal because of risk of injury and want security.

But everyone is saying Marner and Matthews shouldn't sign now?

Whats the difference?

They can have shit years, get injured and bye bye big money and long term.

why risk it? Sign for money now and thats it.. It's done.

If you want to stay on the team and be competitive, you going to have to compromise on $$$.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There was a lot of talk about the Leafs giving Tavares a one year max to lure him to Toronto and use the cap space they have this year. Obviously they didn’t do that, but why don’t the do it for Nylander?

Give him as much as they can fit this year with an understanding that next summer the additional money he got this year comes off his long term deal. Say 10 this year and then 6x5.75 next summer, assuming he has a similar season.

Leafs save cap space long term and Nylander gets more money upfront. The league probably won’t like it but NFL teams do similar things every year by restructuring contracts.

Thoughts?

I think that talk was out there with Tavares because max term with the Leafs would've been one year less than max term with NYI, and also, the idea was extended to eventually offering Tavares an eight year Leaf contract extension when that time became possible.

I'm not sure Nylander receives an eight year contract from the Leafs once he re-ups, but I'd also guess the minimum term would be a bridge deal (more than a 1 yr). There'd likely be more risk than reward for both sides with a one year contract, as that follow-up six year would be closer to handshake than iron clad. Your suggested contract would average to be a 7 yr @ about $6.35 M per, and I'd be great with that. Couldn't say about Nylander and/or the Leafs.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Somebody better blink soon.

Willy's agent and Dubas:
Tom-Jerry-Sleepy-Eyes.jpg

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We worry about the Cap and players not signing too much.
Pretty sure Dubas and company have an idea where the Big 3 want. Pretty sure the Big 3 want to stay. Both sides just taking their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad