Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last thread was way past full.

giphy.gif

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
"I meant bashing Nylander, sorry if I confused. 6.5 is my top number, hoping for 6."
@DarkKnight

Oh I've been the opposite for Nylander. I've been trying to defend him throughout the first thread. I think most sensible people appreciate what he brings and how much more he can grow.
My main issue were people suggesting he shouldn't make more than 7% of the cap hit for next season. that's 5.5m in a 79.5m cap.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
"I meant bashing Nylander, sorry if I confused. 6.5 is my top number, hoping for 6."
@DarkKnight

Oh I've been the opposite for Nylander. I've been trying to defend him throughout the first thread. I think most sensible people appreciate what he brings and how much more he can grow.
My main issue were people suggesting he shouldn't make more than 7% of the cap hit for next season. that's 5.5m in a 79.5m cap.
I was referring to myself, when you question what he should get it appears you are bashing Nylander. Kid is awesome, with a lot more upside, but he isn't in the drivers seat with this contract and I still try to squeeze every penny I can, it's business.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I do believe management has had a slow, relaxed approach to this as Dubas said earlier in the summer however I also think within the coming weeks both sides will step up and agree to get a deal hammered out just as training camp starts.

I think Dubas is smart enough to not want that as a distraction heading into the season and I imagine Nylander will just want to get it sorted out so he can focus on getting prepared.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I do believe management has had a slow, relaxed approach to this as Dubas said earlier in the summer however I also think within the coming weeks both sides will step up and agree to get a deal hammered out just as training camp starts.

I think Dubas is smart enough to not want that as a distraction heading into the season and I imagine Nylander will just want to get it sorted out so he can focus on getting prepared.
Distraction? I'm hoping they start squeezing Marner and Matthews right after

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Of the 3 Amigos Nylander's agent is the first in line to see how far he can push the limits of his new deal on Dubas.

Hopefully for Leaf Nation sake Dubas wins the battle and doesn't end up overpaying or it will also draw up Matthews and Marner new deals.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hard ball him to a fair number or trade. No overpayments
I agree , hard ball all 3 of the kids and if they give the team a hard time trade them all . We don't need them now that we've signed JT who proved he can win all by himself .

Last edited:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The deal will get signed soon enough. It’s summertime, I’m sure everyone is just enjoying it and have the layout of the contract in mind. Probably waiting for everyone to get back to the city and they’ll sign the papers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That might actually be the worst case scenario. Pay for none of his UFA years and have to sign him along with Matthews and Marner in the same year.

Expect the worst & hope for the best and then one can't be disappointed with the results.

Nylander might not take more than 1 year just to play this next year, if a bridge nor LT deal is to his liking.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't think he signs long term for under 7.75 since Marner will probably get 8 or more after playing a year on such a stacked team. Marner could crack 85 points.

1 x 6.5 is what I expect to see at this point then he can have one more year to compare himself to Marner.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If he won't take 7 or 8 by 7 mil or less than go with the 2-3 x 5 or 4 by 6. If he's not willing to sign in line with most comparable peers to be a part of this long term than get him cheaply in the short term. A bridge isn't the end of the world for our 4th/5th most important forward. With 3-4 years to evaluate Johnsson/Kap/Grundstrom/Bracco/Korshkov it's possible that Nylander becomes an innefficient luxury item on the roster. We don't yet know if he:
-"is what he is"
-takes a step offensively to become a Kessel type linedriver off the wing
-takes a step defensively to become a Hossa type perfect 200ft complementary winger

Having him expire 3-4 years in to JT and 2-3 into Matthews/Marner still under team control gives us a lot of flexibility to structure the roster for a "4 horseman" scenario, or to cashout of Willie to reallocate money + bolster the D/reload on futures while replacing him internally.

Honestly I kind of prefer that outcome. Even in the best/worst (he booms in development and we can't afford him) we're looking trading a Nash/Panarin/Staal/Carter/Kessel type asset, recouping a serious collection of assets to surround a star studded core.

Last edited:

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I don't think he signs long term for under 7.75 since Marner will probably get 8 or more after playing a year on such a stacked team. Marner could crack 85 points.

1 x 6.5 is what I expect to see at this point then he can have one more year to compare himself to Marner.
practically every young comparable player has signed for under 6.5mil on 5 - 7 year deals, im not sure why nylander would be asking for close to 8. and what marner makes in the future has nothing to do with william's current numbers so i dont see how that is relevant

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
practically every young comparable player has signed for under 6.5mil on 5 - 7 year deals, im not sure why nylander would be asking for close to 8. and what marner makes in the future has nothing to do with william's current numbers so i dont see how that is relevant
Does it make sense to sign long term right after your team signs one of the best players in the league without playing even a single season on this newly improved team? Your comparison isn't the same as what has happened here and his agent knows it. He doesn't have to play on the same line as Tavares in order for his stats to increase. Teams will be overwhelmed.
I would allow my stats to be pumped up for a year or two as well before signing long term.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Does it make sense to sign long term right after your team signs one of the best players in the league without playing even a single season on this newly improved team? Your comparison isn't the same as what has happened here and his agent knows it. He doesn't have to play on the same line as Tavares in order for his stats to increase. Teams will be overwhelmed.
I would allow my stats to be pumped up for a year or two as well before signing long term.
UFAs and RFAs are completely different things, when nylander hits UFA status he's free to ask for whatever he wishes and sign for and sign with the highest bidder. and yes, it always makes more sense to sign a longer term contract due to the the uncertain nature of injuries etc. based on your logic, wouldnt larkin then look at tavares contract as well before signing for 6.1mil, since he plays JT's position and had better numbers than willy last year isnt he worth 8 at least? a better comparison is mcdavid and draistle and edmonton messed that one up. you get paid based off of your own production and to a lesser extent what the league wide market value dictates based off of similar players in the same age group with the same contract status.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
A new thread about same topic wow. With Willy and family in Sweden, Shanny and family in NY and Dubas the only guy in town but i'm sure enjoying his summer no one is in any rush here except for the fans. Whatever that leafs reporters name was he came on radio up north and he said both sides know each others position and it is a waiting game. Not a big deal for anyone so best to relax and chill out rest of summer. The number guys on leafs are good and shanny and board have a position on all 3 guys and dubie will execute that plan. if it goes outside of range he has then shanny and board can always meet in sept to resolve it. folks with mega millions $$ leafs have in sponsorships this will get resolved somehow if dubie cant get fully ironed out inside the cap system then many things can happen like michael can always go on contract for instance, but there are many many things that get done also like willy getting a tv commercial deal on the side. so much as everyone if focused on the $$ it really is not about the $$. the leafs are so rich on $$ it is incredible. this is about managing cap and the nhl system so everything is above board. this is not florida where every nickel is accounted for because the team is dead broke and relies on owners funding. this is toronto the land where hockey is a religion.

Reactions: RCS and dsred

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
UFAs and RFAs are completely different things, when nylander hits UFA status he's free to ask for whatever he wishes and sign for and sign with the highest bidder. and yes, it always makes more sense to sign a longer term contract due to the the uncertain nature of injuries etc. based on your logic, wouldnt larkin then look at tavares contract as well before signing for 6.1mil, since he plays JT's position and had better numbers than willy last year isnt he worth 8 at least? a better comparison is mcdavid and draistle and edmonton messed that one up. you get paid based off of your own production and to a lesser extent what the league wide market value dictates based off of similar players in the same age group with the same contract status.
You missed my point entirely. The potential impact that the Tavares signing could have on Nylander's numbers is very substantial. Could be a 25% increase or more. He might want to sign for one year to bet on himself like Karlsson did in LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad