Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
If you were William Nylander would you sign a contract in Toronto for the long term?

They won't even let you play center, and there is not much opportunity available to play center going forward in Toronto.

As for Toronto Maple Leafs management, they cannot figure out if this guy is a core player or not. Therefore, they have no choice but to pay him like that the moment.

Why would Nylander want to stay in Toronto? Allegedly he loves the city and his team mates, its a winning team and he gets to ride shotgun with one of the best players in the world? Yeah, only a matter of time before he leaves.

Reactions: supermann_98

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I know I'm an outsider here, but I've been following this and wanted to comment on one issue. A single playoff series is not necessarily representative of what a player can do in the playoffs. It's such a small sample size. Look at any player who's been in the league a while, and they've all had at least one really lousy series. And Nylander wasn't even that bad.

I think something between 6.2 and 6.8 for 6 to 7 years would be pretty good for you guys.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I know I'm an outsider here, but I've been following this and wanted to comment on one issue. A single playoff series is not necessarily representative of what a player can do in the playoffs. It's such a small sample size. Look at any player who's been in the league a while, and they've all had at least one really lousy series. And Nylander wasn't even that bad.

I think something between 6.2 and 6.8 for 6 to 7 years would be pretty good for you guys.

Perfect actually.

Posters here don't quite understand Willy (my personal muse) wants 7.3+. And Marleau next year prevents us from getting all of Matthews, Willy, and Mitch under the cap. At least 1 of Willy or Mitch needs to take a bridge deal to get us through the Marleau contract. It's not what's best for the Leafs (or for the player, frankly) but it's because we have tied our hands. Let's pray.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Nylander is the cheapest and easiest of the 3 to get signed... it will get done.

What happens when Marner scores 100+ points?

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Nylander is the cheapest and easiest of the 3 to get signed... it will get done.

Everybody finally understands the folly of Marleau's 4th year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

What happens is we better be prepared to watch marner in another uniform. We simply can’t afford another $10m+ forward, unless he takes a serious discount. Although kucherov got $9.5m a 100 point player with 40 goals I’m not sure marner ever getd 30 so we might be alright. There is a serious risk of marner having too good a season to keep him which sounds stupid but as I said 3 forwards over $10m is a killer of the cap and I’ll take 2 elite c’s over him all day every day

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
What happens is we better be prepared to watch marner in another uniform. We simply can’t afford another $10m+ forward, unless he takes a serious discount. Although kucherov got $9.5m a 100 point player with 40 goals I’m not sure marner ever getd 30 so we might be alright. There is a serious risk of marner having too good a season to keep him which sounds stupid but as I said 3 forwards over $10m is a killer of the cap and I’ll take 2 elite c’s over him all day every day

Seriously, what do you have against Marner? No way we trade a Patrick Kane away... you make three 10 mil forwards work if you have to.

Vegas just spent 53 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Fleury, -Clarkson, - Smith), and made it to the cup finals
Washington spent about 52 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Ovechkin, - Kuznetsov, - Backstrom), and won the cup
Pittsburgh spent about 49 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Crosby, - Malkin, -Letang), and is a cup contending team.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

That won't happen. If Marner becomes a 100 point player then it's the peripheral players who will be sent packing to make room for him.

Get ready for the Daniel Winnik's of the world to make up the bottom 6.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Excuse me but unless you have watched him play for the past two seasons and understand that it is a lot more then one 7 game series that is the issues your comment is not only wrong but misinformed.

He is sat on the bench when we are protecting a lead late in all games and has been since Babs got here. He is not willing to do what it takes to help us win. Take a check to make a play. This is not a 7 game issue but a career issue thus far.

Nylander was more then bad he turned away from pucks, stop skating for fear he would get to pucks first and tuck tail far to many times. This is not a simple bad production series that can happen to anyone but a compete issue.

Reactions: dsred

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sorry but it would mean say good bye to Nylander and the leafs management would not lose any sleep over making a choice over the two of them. Nice try though.

Marner was our best player from mid Jan onwards and if he got 100 pts would be our best player again over a year and a half and you think that a team would trade him away! Not a chance in he double hockey sticks.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
If you were William Nylander would you sign a contract in Toronto for the long term?

They won't even let you play center, and there is not much opportunity available to play center going forward in Toronto.

As for Toronto Maple Leafs management, they cannot figure out if this guy is a core player or not. Therefore, they have no choice but to pay him like that the moment.
lol @ "let" play centre.

Be a better C and you can play there.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
People in here speak and think like FANS. As you should be....but as a player, you have to try and get every penny you can.

It's simple negotiation tactics. You would do the same thing if you were in the player's position. Its not the player's decision to think about the teams future and well being. Thats on the management.

Lets just see how it all pans out. I got faith in Dubas

Reactions: Eric bungay

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner is the one that would need to look for the next flight out of town. I know people pretend he is perfect, but he still has a lot of issues. A big reason why JVR and Bozak got sheltered was because of Marner. His soft efforts in the neutral and defensive zone caused the line to be hemmed in.

Dubas could prefer Nylander over Marner as well. Nylander is better defensively, doesnt need to be sheltered, and can play mutiple positions.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Marner is the one that would need to look for the next flight out of town. I know people pretend he is perfect, but he still has a lot of issues. A big reason why JVR and Bozak got sheltered was because of Marner. His soft efforts in the neutral and defensive zone caused the line to be hemmed in.

Dubas could prefer Nylander over Marner as well. Nylander is better defensively, doesnt need to be sheltered, and can play mutiple positions.
200w.webp

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Excuse me but unless you have watched him play for the past two seasons and understand that it is a lot more then one 7 game series that is the issues your comment is not only wrong but misinformed.

He is sat on the bench when we are protecting a lead late in all games and has been since Babs got here. He is not willing to do what it takes to help us win. Take a check to make a play. This is not a 7 game issue but a career issue thus far.

Nylander was more then bad he turned away from pucks, stop skating for fear he would get to pucks first and tuck tail far to many times. This is not a simple bad production series that can happen to anyone but a compete issue.

Marner was just as much as of an issue as Nylander.

You can't use the argument that Babcock 'benched' Nylander during leads late. Babcock is literally known for having bad judgement in stuff like that. If you have Polak out defending leads late in the game, then you know his judgement is wrong.

Sorry but it would mean say good bye to Nylander and the leafs management would not lose any sleep over making a choice over the two of them. Nice try though.

Marner was our best player from mid Jan onwards and if he got 100 pts would be our best player again over a year and a half and you think that a team would trade him away! Not a chance in he double hockey sticks.

So we just ignore his first half of the season like it was irrelvant? No. He wasn't good the first part of the season and that is something that should be used against him.

Their stats are insanely close over the past 2 seasons, while Nylander's zone entries are on a different level than Marners. That being said, Marner didn't play with Matthews.

I find Marner better, but only marginally. As Ian Tulloch and Steve Dangle said on their last podcast, Marner is a lot more flashier and much more memorable than Nylander. Marner would do an insanely nice dangle, and then mess up the rest of the shift and everyone would still love that shift for Marner.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

First off.... you are assuming that money is what is driving Willie, his family is quite well off and he doesn't want for anything.

Now...do you think he would rather get traded to some Podunk team that is years away from being a contender or making a deal to stay with an elite team who's window is just beginning to open...?

Everything else you said is pure and utter speculation. The cone of silence that Lou ingrained in the organization is truly driving the media and the hysterical fan base who listens to them almost bat s*** crazy.

Reactions: egd27

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
lol @ "let" play centre.

Be a better C and you can play there.
It isn't that simple. He's not going to play center on a team with three guys who only play center when he's perfectly capable on the wing. And now, he's got one spot to compete for and it's against a player who look much worse on the wing. It doesn't matter how good he is at center, he's going to play at the wing.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I think Dubas has stated numerous times... we're keeping all of them... it wouldn't be fair to get Tavares and then let one of the star players go... etc etc

How about Nylander and Marner are both great players and let's just enjoy watching them play.

Reactions: freshwind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad