Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I wonder if the perspective is:

1.Sign Nylander to a 3 year bridge deal at a lower cap hit, which allows us wiggle room in the short term and gives us a 3 year window with this core
2. If Nylander plays amazing and develops into a PPG player, we have an option in that 3rd year. He will still be an RFA, so we could re-sign him at a higher cap hit if we have the space (dependent on where the cap is after his 3rd season), and if we don't have the space, we trade him for a stud-blue chip defender on his ELC.
3. If he doesn't live up to expectations, we re-sign him near the same lower cap hit for another bridge, or we move off of him and trade him for prospects and picks.

Someone said it best on the TSN 1050 (not sure who it was), but the Leafs will not be that much worse if he doesn't start the season with us. We just have that much winger depth in our system. That to me means he is a bonus to have, but not a necessity. Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Anderson are more important to the future success of this team IMO.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There was a lot of talk about the Leafs giving Tavares a one year max to lure him to Toronto and use the cap space they have this year. Obviously they didn’t do that, but why don’t the do it for Nylander?

Give him as much as they can fit this year with an understanding that next summer the additional money he got this year comes off his long term deal. Say 10 this year and then 6x5.75 next summer, assuming he has a similar season.

Leafs save cap space long term and Nylander gets more money upfront. The league probably won’t like it but NFL teams do similar things every year by restructuring contracts.

Thoughts?
Absolutely not, because next year he would have arbitration rights, and would have to be offered his current salary as a minimum, or else he would become an unrestricted free agent.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Absolutely not, because next year he would have arbitration rights, and would have to be offered his current salary as a minimum, or else he would become an unrestricted free agent.

I didn’t realize that the qualifying offer would have to be what he made this year.

Could he not sign a one year deal for 10 mil today and then sign an extension right after?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if the perspective is:

1.Sign Nylander to a 3 year bridge deal at a lower cap hit, which allows us wiggle room in the short term and gives us a 3 year window with this core
2. If Nylander plays amazing and develops into a PPG player, we have an option in that 3rd year. He will still be an RFA, so we could re-sign him at a higher cap hit if we have the space (dependent on where the cap is after his 3rd season), and if we don't have the space, we trade him for a stud-blue chip defender on his ELC.
3. If he doesn't live up to expectations, we re-sign him near the same lower cap hit for another bridge, or we move off of him and trade him for prospects and picks.

Someone said it best on the TSN 1050 (not sure who it was), but the Leafs will not be that much worse if he doesn't start the season with us. We just have that much winger depth in our system. That to me means he is a bonus to have, but not a necessity. Matthews, Marner, Reilly and Anderson are more important to the future success of this team IMO.

that simply isn't true, we have a lot of RW depth sure but a lot of it is bottom 6. Please don't say connor brown can do is job he cant while he was a place holder Matthews numbers sank. Someone posted a WOWY earlier in this thread that showed Nylander is slightly better away from Matthews than Matthews is away from Nylander both not great though but together they are one of the best duos in hockey

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I didn’t realize that the qualifying offer would have to be what he made this year.

Could he not sign a one year deal for 10 mil today and then sign an extension right after?
No, he can only sign Jan 1st. But the issue is, why would he then agree to sign a long term deal for less after he gets $10 million, and that is the starting point for negotiations as he will have to be offered that or he can go UFA? That would also make him effectively untradeable from the Leafs perspective too. The Leafs would be forced to pay him or walk away and grant him UFA.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
No different one. Just a large Etobicoke/Mississauga family with a couple sons who played junior and above and several grandsons who played junior, ncaa and pro. The hockey scene in Toronto at top levels of AAA/junior is pretty small.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
er.jpg

Reactions: TheBigThree

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
We will sign him. I like the way Dubie is playing this out. Large pay contracts always take a lot of time when there are differences on value. If Dubie gets this done before end of preseason it is a job well done. And if Willy takes 2 weeks to get back to Dubie that is ok too. There is no rush here. Even if season starts and they do not have something done it is not a huge issue although no one likely wants that including fans, coaches and Willy. Think of it like you are in Willy's shoes. You are signing probably 2 contracts which amounts to most of your lifes income. You would take your time too.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think the biggest pressure on him in him in terms of signing will be babs, babs can be a dick a lot of the time. He will use the no training camp excuse to push him down the lineup. There is no doubt Willy is training he isn't just sitting on the couch waiting

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think the biggest pressure on him in him in terms of signing will be babs, babs can be a dick a lot of the time. He will use the no training camp excuse to push him down the lineup. There is no doubt Willy is training he isn't just sitting on the couch waiting
Well for now players like Kappy and Johnsson may get a better look.
We can go Marleau/Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen.
Someone may get a fantastic opportunity for now and later.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If you were William Nylander would you sign a contract in Toronto for the long term?

They won't even let you play center, and there is not much opportunity available to play center going forward in Toronto.

As for Toronto Maple Leafs management, they cannot figure out if this guy is a core player or not. Therefore, they have no choice but to pay him like that the moment.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
that simply isn't true, we have a lot of RW depth sure but a lot of it is bottom 6. Please don't say connor brown can do is job he cant while he was a place holder Matthews numbers sank. Someone posted a WOWY earlier in this thread that showed Nylander is slightly better away from Matthews than Matthews is away from Nylander both not great though but together they are one of the best duos in hockey
Nylanders numbers drop away from Mathews period.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If Nylander does not sign the contract given to him, there is a real chance he is out of Toronto.

Here is a guy who in the playoffs against Boston does not show up for all 7 games basically.

Then there is a contract dispute and a holdout.

Guys like that, you do not want on your team. Lamoreillo will not tolerate that. Neither will someone like Brenden Shanahan.

Guess who Dubas learned everything from? That's why he got the job. Dubas was the one who pushed the decision to get Taraves here.

If Nylander is a hold out at camp, then he tenure in Toronto could be rather short. That's too bad. I really was looking forward to seeing him play center. Just won't happen here.

:deadhorse

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Heard on the radio, feeling is he is in town skating.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If Nylander does not sign the contract given to him, there is a real chance he is out of Toronto.

Here is a guy who in the playoffs against Boston does not show up for all 7 games basically.

Then there is a contract dispute and a holdout.

Guys like that, you do not want on your team. Lamoreillo will not tolerate that. Neither will someone like Brenden Shanahan.

Guess who Dubas learned everything from? That's why he got the job. Dubas was the one who pushed the decision to get Taraves here.

If Nylander is a hold out at camp, then he tenure in Toronto could be rather short. That's too bad. I really was looking forward to seeing him play center. Just won't happen here.

:deadhorse
So much wrong here....and with your other post...

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So are you saying Babs will punish him if he misses some of camp?

That is the risk with any player who holds out. It is not a dick move but one that sets the tone for others who may think that can force the teams hand by doing the same.

Reactions: WillyC

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So much wrong here....and with your other post...

I think it is a good point that Nylander maybe hurt himself with his flat out shameful playoff performance. It just puts this question mark over him of "does this guy choke under pressure"?

Sure, he's pretty much a teenager... but isn't the entire point of an entry level contract to allow the team to see what a player can do for 3 years? Right now, after his entry level contract has completed, Nylander has NOT proven as yet that he can perform in the playoffs.

Every single second that Nylander thinks about his contract right now, he should be thinking "what the f*** was I doing against Boston last spring? This is MY fault."

Reactions: dsred

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think it is a good point that Nylander maybe hurt himself with his flat out shameful playoff performance. It just puts this question mark over him of "does this guy choke under pressure"?

Sure, he's pretty much a teenager... but isn't the entire point of an entry level contract to allow the team to see what a player can do for 3 years? Right now, after his entry level contract has completed, Nylander has NOT proven as yet that he can perform in the playoffs.

Every single second that Nylander thinks about his contract right now, he should be thinking "what the **** was I doing against Boston last spring? This is MY fault."

He has a higher playoff PPG than Matthews at the moment....

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

Every single second that Nylander thinks about his contract right now, he should be thinking "what the **** was I doing against Boston last spring? This is MY fault."
:clap:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He has a higher playoff PPG than Matthews at the moment....
Oh I know...

Don't even get me f***ing started on Matthews playoff performance last spring. But still... at least Matthews didn't do that on a contract year. If he doesn't sign this season, he still has the 2019 playoffs to prove something in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->