Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion Pt II - Any Day Now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Why would Nylander want to stay in Toronto? Allegedly he loves the city and his team mates, its a winning team and he gets to ride shotgun with one of the best players in the world? Yeah, only a matter of time before he leaves.
EXACTLY he is the 4th best forward period ...BRIDGE DEAL

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marleau can easily be traded back to the west while the leafs eat half of his salary/take a dump contract. Also his third year real salary drops to $4,250,000.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner is the one that would need to look for the next flight out of town. I know people pretend he is perfect, but he still has a lot of issues. A big reason why JVR and Bozak got sheltered was because of Marner. His soft efforts in the neutral and defensive zone caused the line to be hemmed in.

Dubas could prefer Nylander over Marner as well. Nylander is better defensively, doesnt need to be sheltered, and can play mutiple positions.
Asinine comment, JVR and Bozak were sheltered before and AFTER Marner. Good grief.

scooter540

Aug 21, 2018
Marleau can easily be traded back to the west while the leafs eat half of his salary/take a dump contract. Also his third year real salary drops to $4,250,000.

He has a NMC. Unless he decides to waive it, which I have no reason to believe he would, he's here for the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think Dubas has stated numerous times... we're keeping all of them... it wouldn't be fair to get Tavares and then let one of the star players go... etc etc

How about Nylander and Marner are both great players and let's just enjoy watching them play.

Having both in the team aint importent, stating that Marner is waaaay better, that is importent.

You are right off course, but im afraid this will be an ongoing battle until one off them plunges or rocket. And that might never happen.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seriously, what do you have against Marner? No way we trade a Patrick Kane away... you make three 10 mil forwards work if you have to.

Vegas just spent 53 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Fleury, -Clarkson, - Smith), and made it to the cup finals
Washington spent about 52 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Ovechkin, - Kuznetsov, - Backstrom), and won the cup
Pittsburgh spent about 49 mil on their 'bottom' 20 players (-Crosby, - Malkin, -Letang), and is a cup contending team.

Got nothing against marner at all, there is a point where if he demands his worth we will struggle to pay him.

Vegas isn’t an example they won’t even make the playoffs this year. I take your other teams though but will say Pittsburgh is 2c’s and a d which is kind of my point

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That won't happen. If Marner becomes a 100 point player then it's the peripheral players who will be sent packing to make room for him.

Get ready for the Daniel Winnik's of the world to make up the bottom 6.

Then get ready for a weaker team, if winnij types are coming in we are in trouble

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sorry but it would mean say good bye to Nylander and the leafs management would not lose any sleep over making a choice over the two of them. Nice try though.

Marner was our best player from mid Jan onwards and if he got 100 pts would be our best player again over a year and a half and you think that a team would trade him away! Not a chance in he double hockey sticks.

They’d need to trade nylander plus away if were just nylander I agree with you if marner has 100 points it’s an easy choice the problem would be it mean more than nylander going out the door

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Asinine comment, JVR and Bozak were sheltered before and AFTER Marner. Good grief.

I’m not sure if it was because brown went to that line but actually bozak line ozone starts went from 60% with marner to 55% with brown and kadris line actually went up in ozone starts too from like 45% to 50% ish. I remeber talking about it during the season, makes sense marner should be in the ozone more than the dzone not because he is a bad defending forward because he is so good offensively. Not saying it was marner as the reason most likely a coincidence but still

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’m not sure if it was because brown went to that line but actually bozak line ozone starts went from 60% with marner to 55% with brown and kadris line actually went up in ozone starts too from like 45% to 50% ish. I remeber talking about it during the season, makes sense marner should be in the ozone more than the dzone not because he is a bad defending forward because he is so good offensively. Not saying it was marner as the reason most likely a coincidence but still
My point stands, Bozak and JVR were sheltered for years.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner is the one that would need to look for the next flight out of town. I know people pretend he is perfect, but he still has a lot of issues. A big reason why JVR and Bozak got sheltered was because of Marner. His soft efforts in the neutral and defensive zone caused the line to be hemmed in.

Dubas could prefer Nylander over Marner as well. Nylander is better defensively, doesnt need to be sheltered, and can play mutiple positions.
They legalized weed already?!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Nylander is the one sitting in the bench late in games when up a goal and Marner was on the ice with his line defending the Lead. Once clear of JVR and Bozak he was playing against the other teams top lines and producing at well over a point per game.

Nylander has struggled with one position it is laughable that you say he can play multiple positions. When Mathews was injured Marleau had to play center as Nylander failed at doing so. Nylander is not better defensively in any way. His coach does not trust him to be on the ice defending leads but does trust Marner. Funny how facts dispute any of your claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred and Kelly

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marner was just as much as of an issue as Nylander.

You can't use the argument that Babcock 'benched' Nylander during leads late. Babcock is literally known for having bad judgement in stuff like that. If you have Polak out defending leads late in the game, then you know his judgement is wrong.

So we just ignore his first half of the season like it was irrelvant? No. He wasn't good the first part of the season and that is something that should be used against him.

Their stats are insanely close over the past 2 seasons, while Nylander's zone entries are on a different level than Marners. That being said, Marner didn't play with Matthews.

I find Marner better, but only marginally. As Ian Tulloch and Steve Dangle said on their last podcast, Marner is a lot more flashier and much more memorable than Nylander. Marner would do an insanely nice dangle, and then mess up the rest of the shift and everyone would still love that shift for Marner.
Steve Dangles lol I thought I heard everything, i trump you with Mike Babcock.

Marner is better and not only a little but a lot and why that is an issue is beyond me.

Ps on here when Marner was in the dog house I do not recall anyone saying anything about Babcock was picking on him. However when Nylander is in the dog house it is all you hear. Marner played his way out of the dog house into a key role on the team. Nylander has still not unpacked and until he buys in he will continue to spend time there and it is not Babcocks fault at all.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
They’d need to trade nylander plus away if were just nylander I agree with you if marner has 100 points it’s an easy choice the problem would be it mean more than nylander going out the door
Nice try but if his salary is only going to increase say 2.5 to 3m more why would we need to ship out more then one player. You started this nonsense and like I said if they had to choose it would be easy. They would choose the better player, the one who does not play in fear, the one who competes hard. You be better off if you thought things through before posting garbage. I simply called out your thought process.

They would keep-both and trade away a player who makes the needed amount.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
September 9th already.........................

still-waiting.jpg

Reactions: Sundinisagod

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My point stands, Bozak and JVR were sheltered for years.

Yes they were why this even needs to be stated is silly.

NHL players saying Leafs are one of the favourites to win the cup this year; and then when one thinks that only thing Leafs have done is add Tavares and reduced Bozak/JVR while the rest of the roster is pretty much the same....

It just tells you how freakin' overrated both bozo an jvr were on this board. I am just so glad that those gutless players are not on the Leafs anymore

Reactions: diceman934

Tavares2Matthews

Mar 1, 2008

Oh, you're the type of fan who gives other Leaf fans a bad rep and also, you're one of the reasons we can't have nice things. Good grief man, get a grip.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Oh, you're the type of fan who gives other Leaf fans a bad rep and also, you're one of the reasons we can't have nice things. Good grief man, get a grip.
Think he's making fun of people tearing down Nylander the same way he torn down Marner. They're both similar in potential but people are playing favorites with one over the other.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
My concern is that Nylander has played most of his last 2 seasons on Matthews wings. He's a playmaker who is playing on a line with a player who is arguably a top 3 finisher in the league.

Difference between Nylander and Marner/Matthews is that Nylander has never shown to be able to dominate and carry a line all by himself. Or at lease I can't recall it.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

I'm trying to figure out if this was an unfortunately arranged sentence or if you mean to say Marleau's is bad contract. :)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
My concern is that Nylander has played most of his last 2 seasons on Matthews wings. He's a playmaker who is playing on a line with a player who is arguably a top 3 finisher in the league.

Difference between Nylander and Marner/Matthews is that Nylander has never shown to be able to dominate and carry a line all by himself. Or at lease I can't recall it.
do you have to play with 2 slugs before we can determine a players value ? and yes he played with Mathews but the line also had a frwd with 10 thumbs

Marner may have not have had the best defensive players to play with but all of JVR/Kadri/Marleau/Bozak are competent offensive players .

Reactions: freshwind

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Who do you think is carrying the puck into the offensive zone and passing the puck to our best finisher? It sure as hell wasn't Hyman

This Matthews carrying Nylander narrative has to end, Nylander is carrying the puck for the entire line and passing the puck to Matthews in the slot which is helping Matthews as much as he's helping Nylander

Also nobody knows if Nylander can carry a line because he hasn't had the opportunity to do so for an extended period as yet in his NHL career

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad